Discuss Scratch

joefarebrother
Scratcher
500+ posts

A simple way to add First Class Lists

Chibi-Matoran wrote:

I said this before, but I agree that list literals are better. However, I wish to refrain from arrow inputs, because they are in Snap!'s style. Do any of you have any ideas for alternative ways for list literals to be represented?
My idea (on the other thread) is for a button that appears when you hover over any block input lists would make sense, with a tooltip like “add a list”, which when clicked would insert something like a stage list monitor. You could add items to it, delete items to it, and edit items on it. You could type into the boxes, and also drag reporter blocks into them, and also there would be another add a list button next to every item field to make nested lists.

I was in the process of making a mockup in GIMP, but it's taking a while, I'll post it here and on the other thread when done.

Last edited by joefarebrother (April 28, 2016 21:34:51)

And it was delicious! Play TBGs! Check out my Scheme Interpreter!
;
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP
Please see my updated OP.
ST, please add this to Scratch 3.0!

who needs signatures
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BookOwl wrote:

([thing] in front of (list) :: list)
(all but first of (list) :: list)
If Scratch's lists stay just dynamic arrays (not linked lists), then these blocks will be quite slow…

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
Macie1234
Scratcher
100+ posts

BumpyMcBumpFace
and +1

BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Macie1234 wrote:

BumpyMcBumpFace
and +1
Great!

who needs signatures
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

([thing] in front of (list) :: list)
(all but first of (list) :: list)
If Scratch's lists stay just dynamic arrays (not linked lists), then these blocks will be quite slow…
The
insert [] at (1 v) of [  v]
already has the same problem, plus, with the move to 3.0, it's the perfect time to add this.

who needs signatures
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BUMP

who needs signatures
ProgramminWeekly
Scratcher
30 posts

Well, I guess it would be nice, but as ChocolatePi said earlier, it would be a pain to use.
Semi Support as per ChocolatePi.

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

Full support.
It adds a very powerful new feature and makes many changes, yet adds only one block.
As per this.

Sigton

edward789121test
New to Scratch
93 posts

No support. New scratchers have no idea how it would work (and I still do not understand the first-class-lists stack blocks) plus, snap! Uses FCLs, so you can share it in snap or MS.
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

No support. New scratchers have no idea how it would work (and I still do not understand the first-class-lists stack blocks) plus, snap! Uses FCLs, so you can share it in snap or MS.
That's the beauty of my suggestion. New Scratchers's wouldn't have to know about lists being first class (most of them don't know about regular lists anyway) since this would only add 3 blocks, and when they are ready to learn about lists being first class, they can ask on the forums or look it up on the wiki.

Last edited by BookOwl (June 30, 2016 13:39:46)

who needs signatures
edward789121test
New to Scratch
93 posts

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

That's the beauty of my suggestion. New Scratchers's wouldn't have to know about lists being first class (most of them don't know about regular lists anyway) since this would only add 3 blocks, and when they are ready to learn about lists being first class, they can ask on the forums or look it up on the wiki.
Ahem…
read the stickies.
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
And…?

U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
helloandgoodbye9
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
The floor is kept low, but the ceiling will rise.

Last edited by kaj (Tomorrow 25:61:61) ͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪͪ ͣͣͣͣ ͯͯͯͯYes, its above the line)
-Io-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
What's wrong about the suggestion according to that sticky? Pretty sure BookOwl has read it. It's mentioned in most of these kind of topics, mostly the complex ones (First time on this one though, I think)

Just like kids learn how normal lists work, they can learn how first class lists work. Tell me, when you first used a list reporter, did you expect it to return the list in text? Or did you expect the list itself? Well, at least for me, I expected the latter.
Transforming the list into text was a bit confusing, but I ended up getting accustomed to it. The low floor wouldn't change at all if we switch from text to lists, it would probably even lower a bit more.

edward789121test
New to Scratch
93 posts

helloandgoodbye9 wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
The floor goes up if we add first-class lists.
-Io-
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

helloandgoodbye9 wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
I really don't see how that could happen.

edward789121test
New to Scratch
93 posts

-Io- wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

BookOwl wrote:

edward789121test wrote:

Ahem…
read the stickies.
What's wrong about the suggestion according to that sticky? Pretty sure BookOwl has read it. It's mentioned in most of these kind of topics, mostly the complex ones (First time on this one though, I think)

Just like kids learn how normal lists work, they can learn how first class lists work. Tell me, when you first used a list reporter, did you expect it to return the list in text? Or did you expect the list itself? Well, at least for me, I expected the latter.
Transforming the list into text was a bit confusing, but I ended up getting accustomed to it. The low floor wouldn't change at all if we switch from text to lists, it would probably even lower a bit more.
Add [] to [=]
[/scratchblocks]
How the heck will anyone understand THAT?

Last edited by edward789121test (June 30, 2016 16:14:56)

Sigton
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edward789121test wrote:

I disagree, lists would behave in a more intuitive way.
Also, what's the point of programming if nothing has to be learned? The floor can't be all the way down on the ground.

Sigton

NanoRook
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This is simple, yet effective. I don't know how this kind of stuff works, but I can see it would benefit advanced Scratchers by allowing them to make more complex projects.

Support.

I LOVE BEING PURPLE!!!! JOIN THE PURPLE COALITION TODAY IF YOU ALSO LOVE BEING PURPLE. PURPLE IS THE NEW BLUE! PURPLE IS THE SUPERIOR NAVBAR COLOR! YYYEAAHHHHH BABY!!!!