Discuss Scratch

bigpuppy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

About Me and What I'm Working On need more characters.

I reported a newer topic about this as a duplicate, but the topic that got closed had some valuable opinions.
You can find it here:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/218162/

“Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don't believe is right.” -Jane Goodall
LemonComputer
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support. I don't even understand why there's such a short character limit.

Maths competition! Jobs include ‘information giver’, ‘artist’, ‘animator’ and ‘music player’! https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/137008562/
Dylan5797
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I could upload a 49MB txt file to assets.scratch.mit.edu

Lataliat
Scratcher
100+ posts

Consider this: In English, dictionary has 10 characters. In Japanese, 辞書 has 2. I could say 私は辞書だ in 5 characters for the equivalent English 15-character “I am a dictionary.” So perhaps the amount varies per language. Tbh, that sounds like a waste. I agree, there should be more. I'd say 500 as apparently that's how much there should be in a comment.

do you ever feel? ♫♫ like a plastic bag? drifting through the wind? ♫♫ wanting to start again?
julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm a bit confused, could you explain it more? Characters for what?

Wanna help make the longest Scratch movie ever? Go here - https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/235554/

When you [have no idea v] :: events hat
Be all like [ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯] :: motion
Feel [proud v] of [yourself v] :: operators cap
Sorry if I get annoying with bumps. It's probably the kumquats messing up my brain.
Blue_Science
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bump ! (or has this been rejected ???)
WaffleChurro
Scratcher
100+ posts

No support. The character limit is fine as it is.

Lets ban Minimods together.
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I agree, I don't like feeling so limited and having to write more about me in the “What I'm working on” section.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
LionHeart70
Scratcher
1000+ posts

comp09 wrote:

If we are allowed unlimited space in project notes, why aren't we in the About Me section?
change [support v] by ([10^ v] of ([10^ v] of (100)::operators)::operators)
Actually, project notes eventually have a limit.

lh70 / nora/tobi / she-they pronouns / pansexual-demisexual / 14 / sagittarius / furry / artist / intp / stop-motion films / lbp / fall out boy / panic! at the disco / twenty one pilots / stranger things / a series of unfortunate events
“When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you.” -Patrick Stump
“Music seems to hold everything together. It seems to make things not so chaotic sometimes. It seems to make things make more sense sometimes.” -Tyler Joseph
“You'll fear your fears forever if you never do things you're afraid of.” -Josh Dun
“I'm still figuring out who I am, but I know I'm not who I was.” -Brendon Urie
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

LionHeart70 wrote:

I agree, I don't like feeling so limited and having to write more about me in the “What I'm working on” section.
Yes you definitely have a point there.

The About Me and What I'm Working On sections are way to small.

Support

woah, haven't been on here in a while
jromagnoli
Scratcher
1000+ posts

WaffleChurro wrote:

No support. The character limit is fine as it is.
Not really, it depends upon the person.

ROAD TO 10,000 POSTS
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 64%

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!
hehehe!Mytiptopsecrettopicidentifier!ahjdgggfhjadggahjsahasgdjfsdjfga

Infinity_Sky
Scratcher
100+ posts

SUPPORT!

I am Infinity. I am Sky. I am Infinity Sky.

when everything begins :: hat #FFDF00
play sound [woof v] until done :: #00E797
optional [walk v] or [sleep v] :: #FF00FF
sniff at [ground v] :: #0093FF
optional [howl v] or [hunt v] :: #FF00FF
when [Sprite1 v] is [moving v] { :: control

play sound [run, run, run v] until [Sprite1 v] stops :: #FF5800

else
sleep :: looks
end
Infinity_Sky
Scratcher
100+ posts

julianandwill wrote:

I'm a bit confused, could you explain it more? Characters for what?
About Me and What I’m Working On on your profile

I am Infinity. I am Sky. I am Infinity Sky.

when everything begins :: hat #FFDF00
play sound [woof v] until done :: #00E797
optional [walk v] or [sleep v] :: #FF00FF
sniff at [ground v] :: #0093FF
optional [howl v] or [hunt v] :: #FF00FF
when [Sprite1 v] is [moving v] { :: control

play sound [run, run, run v] until [Sprite1 v] stops :: #FF5800

else
sleep :: looks
end
Blue_Science
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey everyone ! Am I the only to feel that the only times ST takes a look at the suggestion forums it's just to close the duplicates topics ?…

Last message (I think):
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/228051/?page=2#post-2687184
Dylan5797
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blue_Science wrote:

Hey everyone ! Am I the only to feel that the only times ST takes a look at the suggestion forums it's just to close the duplicates topics ?…

Last message (I think):
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/228051/?page=2#post-2687184
So true -_-

It's not even possible to use the API because they put a length on the database input
At this point the suggestions forum is basically a waste of space on their servers

Blue_Science
Scratcher
100+ posts

Dylan5797 wrote:

It's not even possible to use the API because they put a length on the database input
At this point the suggestions forum is basically a waste of space on their servers

Are you talking about the AM and WIWO or the forum API here ?

- - - - -

Ok seriously guys, this suggestion have been suggested 4 years ago, would certainly take 30 seconds for the ST to apply to the website, is like super logical and supported by 3/4 of this forum's active scratchers, and still haven't been applied ? I mean, like, WHAT IS GOING ON ON THIS WEBSITE ? PLEASE ?

Last edited by Blue_Science (June 22, 2017 10:40:00)

Dylan5797
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blue_Science wrote:

–Snip–

Are you talking about the AM and WIWO or the forum API here ?

- - - - -

Ok seriously guys, this suggestion have been suggested 4 years ago, would certainly take 30 seconds for the ST to apply to the website, is like super logical and supported by 3/4 of this forum's active scratchers, and still haven't been applied ? I mean, like, WHAT IS GOING ON ON THIS WEBSITE ? PLEASE ?
1. https://scratch.mit.edu/api/v1/user/Blue_Science/, using a request to set the bio will succeed with bios over 200 chars, but will be cut off because of the way the database is set up.

2. Nothing on this forum is ever touched by the ST. I realize they have scratch 3.0 development to work on but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't continue working on the website itself, unless they're doing a full overhaul of the website with scratch 3.0, which doesn't seem very plausible at this point. There are a number of things on the scratch website that need to be changed to keep up with modern web design and usability of websites, and a ton of amazing suggestions that have lots of support from everybody, but the ST seems to be completely ignoring this subforum

Blue_Science
Scratcher
100+ posts

Dylan5797 wrote:

Nothing on this forum is ever touched by the ST. I realize they have scratch 3.0 development to work on but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't continue working on the website itself, unless they're doing a full overhaul of the website with scratch 3.0, which doesn't seem very plausible at this point. There are a number of things on the scratch website that need to be changed to keep up with modern web design and usability of websites, and a ton of amazing suggestions that have lots of support from everybody, but the ST seems to be completely ignoring this subforum

I know they have 3.0 to work, but they also have employees (yeah because moderator is a job) that are supposed to take care about the website, including the suggestions. I find abnormal that the FPCs are selected by 1 people, only a few for the features, and… no one here.

I think one day I'll make a topic on the show-and-tell to show everyone what's happening with our suggestions, and use the contact-us button as a spokesperson with all the supporter's signature from the topic. After all we have the right, right ?

Last edited by Blue_Science (June 22, 2017 15:00:48)

walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

Blue_Science wrote:

There is an easy workaround. (Create a project, link to it.)
Blue_Science
Scratcher
100+ posts

walkcycle wrote:

Blue_Science wrote:

There is an easy workaround. (Create a project, link to it.)

ok seriously, 1) this is really not convenient - 2) 200 chars for those sections is just absurd - 3) as said, it would really take 30 secs to edit this, sorry !