Discuss Scratch

BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Whiskers: Scratch 2.0 for Incompatible Devices

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Surprise!!! The official Whiskers forums are available at whiskers.gwiddle.co.uk/forums/
Neat!
Also, I made the first post.

who needs signatures
superben100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Sweet! This let's 1.4 modders make a “2.0” mod!

Hey, there! I'm one of those old folks who aren't too active on Scratch anymore.
I used to manage the Shop Directory, when it was called the Shop Directory 10.0.
I check back here a few times a week though, so feel free to ask if you need help!
Christian | INFJ-A | Enneagram 6w5
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superben100 wrote:

Yup

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
LeoVanKeneo
Scratcher
3 posts

Hi,

is there - meanwhile - a solution for the “This interpreter (very 6521) cannot read image file (very 6502)” Problem? Searched the thread but found nothing :-(

gz Leo
cs293450
Scratcher
100+ posts

Try using a new copy of the .image file.

I'm dead lol
LeoVanKeneo
Scratcher
3 posts

cs293450 wrote:

Hmm, I downloaded the copy about 4 hours ago … ;-)
LeoVanKeneo
Scratcher
3 posts

cs293450 wrote:

Ahh … found a NuScratch version of Whiskers … seems to work now. ty :-D
infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How goes the development?
(Bump)

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

superben100 wrote:

I used to do a lot of 1.4 modding. I've never completed any mods though. I've also played with the 2.0 source a bit.

Modding Scratch 2.0 takes a lot more effort to get the build tools working and you also have to wait ~30 seconds (depending on how fast your computer is) for it to build every time you test it. Modding Scratch 1.4 doesn't require installing anything (except Scratch of course) and IMO, it is a lot more fun to program in Smalltalk. Because it runs in the Squeak VM, you don't have to wait for it to recompile every time you change something.

One downside of 1.4 is that version control is more difficult. I remember when teams working on a mod would often take turns at adding features to their mods and then upload it to a file hosting website. I also recall a mod that allows you to import and export changes to make source version easier.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

nathanprocks wrote:

Modding Scratch 2.0 takes a lot more effort to get the build tools working and you also have to wait ~30 seconds (depending on how fast your computer is) for it to build every time you test it. Modding Scratch 1.4 doesn't require installing anything (except Scratch of course) and IMO, it is a lot more fun to program in Smalltalk. Because it runs in the Squeak VM, you don't have to wait for it to recompile every time you change something.
It does take a lot more effort, but it's not very difficult. Scratch 1.4 requires no effort as long as you have Scratch installed!
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

How goes the development?
(Bump)
Eh. It goes pretty good, I took a week off to spend time with my family and am now getting back on (and fixing recursive custom blox and the paint editor. And the forums seem to be broken right now, so I'll fix that once I get back onto my server at home.

nathanprocks wrote:

I used to do a lot of 1.4 modding. I've never completed any mods though. I've also played with the 2.0 source a bit.

One downside of 1.4 is that version control is more difficult. I remember when teams working on a mod would often take turns at adding features to their mods and then upload it to a file hosting website. I also recall a mod that allows you to import and export changes to make source version easier.
Actually, one of the good things with 1.4's version control is something called the change sorter and package manager. If you use those two correctly in Scratch 1.4, then you can pretty easily collaborate with others on projects with modding.

Long-since moved on from Scratch, if you need to find all my posts, search this in google: 3499447a51c01fc4dc1e8c3b8182b41cb0e88c67
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Actually, one of the good things with 1.4's version control is something called the change sorter and package manager. If you use those two correctly in Scratch 1.4, then you can pretty easily collaborate with others on projects with modding.
The change sorter has saved me a couple of times when I broke something.
What I meant is that it is more difficult to use Squeak's version control with Git. I searched the 1.4 forum archives and found the mod I mentioned. Scribble has a feature (that was copied from Enchanting) that allows you to import/export classes.

monofonik wrote:

The version control export/import methods are in ScratchFrameMorph-version control. Basically, the export method looks for any classes modified since July last year (or something) and exports them to the Classes folder. The import method grabs anything in the Classes folder and updates the relevant class code.

The obvious advantage is that you dont have to commit the large .image file after every change, and you can actually see the code changes in the repo, rather than just an updated binary file.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

nathanprocks wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

The change sorter has saved me a couple of times when I broke something.
What I meant is that it is more difficult to use Squeak's version control with Git. I searched the 1.4 forum archives and found the mod I mentioned. Scribble has a feature (that was copied from Enchanting) that allows you to import/export classes.

monofonik wrote:

The version control export/import methods are in ScratchFrameMorph-version control. Basically, the export method looks for any classes modified since July last year (or something) and exports them to the Classes folder. The import method grabs anything in the Classes folder and updates the relevant class code.

The obvious advantage is that you dont have to commit the large .image file after every change, and you can actually see the code changes in the repo, rather than just an updated binary file.
Alright. I'll look into that!

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Surprise!!! The official Whiskers forums are available at whiskers.gwiddle.co.uk/forums/
Alright… I've changed the URL to whiskers.gwiddle.co.uk/discuss/, and reset the forums due to a bug.

infinitytec
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NoMod-Programming wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

Alright… I've changed the URL to whiskers.gwiddle.co.uk/discuss/, and reset the forums due to a bug.
I think there may be some issue…

Not here much, but sometimes I lurk.
God has a plan. He has a plan for everything, and everyone.
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

infinitytec wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

I think there may be some issue…
No issue… Those are just the posts in the dustbin. I should make them unable to affect the counter, but that may take a while…

Techno-CAT
Scratcher
1000+ posts

NoMod-Programming wrote:

I think the name for this project will be SCARTCH. If someone can give me a better name, please do so. You can see the logo in the youtube video in the OP.
squeak?

See what people have created by clicking here.
Ethan_1
Scratcher
100+ posts

Techno-CAT wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

I think the name for this project will be SCARTCH. If someone can give me a better name, please do so. You can see the logo in the youtube video in the OP.
squeak?
Well, I think we already decided on Whiskers, but thanks for the suggestion. Also, the name squeak already is used, it is the programming language that the 1.4 editor was written in.
cs293450
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ethan_1 wrote:

Techno-CAT wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

squeak?
Well, I think we already decided on Whiskers, but thanks for the suggestion. Also, the name squeak already is used, it is the programming language that the 1.4 editor was written in.
it was based off flash squeak

I'm dead lol
NoMod-Programming
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cs293450 wrote:

Ethan_1 wrote:

Techno-CAT wrote:

NoMod-Programming wrote:

squeak?
it was based off flash squeak
Yeah, but I think the name “Whiskers” will stick. I've already set up the website, forums, and the whole app to use that name, so no use changing it now…

-Radical-
Scratcher
500+ posts

Speaking of setting up the forums, I can't make an account there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely, probably me. Maybe myself. Or sometimes I.

Signature last updated on 5/15/16