Discuss Scratch

fastmapler
Scratcher
100+ posts

Ability to use more sound file types?

I want to use MIDI files but they seem to not work. Other files do not work such as OGG and such. Can you please add this ability? Thanks.

"¡so ʇxǝʇ ʎɯ ʎɹʇ" ~ Fastmapler
Chainmanner
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support, I too would like to implement OGG Vorbis and MIDI files without the need to find some way to convert them.
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

fastmapler wrote:

I want to use MIDI files but they seem to not work. Other files do not work such as OGG and such. Can you please add this ability? Thanks.
Since Scratch 2.0 is in Flash, there's no MIDI support.

Regarding other file types - unless the file is already a WAV file, Scratch actually converts imported file types to the WAV format. Unfortunately, building in multiple conversions for different file types is difficult and would be taxing on the program, so it's actually easier to convert the file outside of Scratch before importing it.

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
dude341
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Convert the midi and ogg to either wav or mp3 using http://www.online-convert.com , the best online converter.
(NOTE: MIDI files sometimes sound different when converted. This is because all different MIDI players play them differently, however WIDI and Windows Media Player play them normally as MIDI files)

Placeholder
Superandultra
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I don't think this all that possible, unless scratch ran on a modified version of FLASH, then I don't think .OGG would be possible. And scratch would need a full GM/GS midi bank for MIDI work, and then there will be tears because it doesn't sound like the MIDI they uploaded.

“Quoting yourself is a lazy and poor attempt at trying to make your argument seem professional and intimidating”-Superandultra 2015