Discuss Scratch

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor (Beta) is now available!

natalie wrote:

nathanprocks wrote:

Do extensions work in the offline editor?

Not yet…
Oh well at least I can load it in the browser and put my laptop to sleep because I have no Internet data left at home.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
Lucario621
Scratcher
100+ posts

natalie wrote:

Can you explain more about the image names– how are you accessing them? For example, if I choose the top-down cat as a sprite, then choose from the right-click menu “Save to local file” I get cat2.svg. I'm wondering where you're getting that long name?
Within the program, all of the names appear fine. In my post I was just referring to the source files of the application (in C:\Program Files\…) - so take my comment as more of an observation rather than an actual bug. Sorry for the vagueness. I assume that part of the program somehow encrypts or decrypts the names of the resources in the “media” for technical reasons.
natalie
Scratch Team
100+ posts

Lucario621 wrote:

natalie wrote:

Can you explain more about the image names– how are you accessing them? For example, if I choose the top-down cat as a sprite, then choose from the right-click menu “Save to local file” I get cat2.svg. I'm wondering where you're getting that long name?
Within the program, all of the names appear fine. In my post I was just referring to the source files of the application (in C:\Program Files\…) - so take my comment as more of an observation rather than an actual bug. Sorry for the vagueness. I assume that part of the program somehow encrypts or decrypts the names of the resources in the “media” for technical reasons.

Ah, I see!
And_Stuff
Scratcher
100+ posts

Shouldn't this be on the news bar on the homepage? I mean, tips are fine, but this is kinda what a section like that needs. After all, it is called Scratch News.

sanjayraj
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yeah.

When was the last time they even updated the news.
Super-Dot
Scratcher
7 posts

How easy would it be to support multiple game windows open at the same time? I taught Scratch 1.4 to middle schoolers over the summer, and it always happened that some students progressed way faster than others while following along making their versions of the lesson game.

It would have gone smoother if the faster students could work on their own games while still keeping the lesson game open, so they can switch back and forth when they get ahead.

(I don't know if this is the right thread to ask about this, but it feels like a regression from the online version, which *does* work with multiple browser windows.)
grokblah
Scratcher
100+ posts

Super-Dot wrote:

How easy would it be to support multiple game windows open at the same time? I taught Scratch 1.4 to middle schoolers over the summer, and it always happened that some students progressed way faster than others while following along making their versions of the lesson game.

It would have gone smoother if the faster students could work on their own games while still keeping the lesson game open, so they can switch back and forth when they get ahead.

(I don't know if this is the right thread to ask about this, but it feels like a regression from the online version, which *does* work with multiple browser windows.)

Hi Super-Dot,

After some googling I found this which may help if you're using Windows: https://github.com/chrisdeely/AirAppDuplicator

I've found that you need to make a unique copy of the Offline Editor in order to run two copies (with the solutions I found). However, this can cause problems with updating. I think that only the copied version won't be able to update but please try this at your own risk.

I hope this helps.

Shane
Super-Dot
Scratcher
7 posts

Thanks for the suggestion! We're using Macs, so that won't work, unless I can find a similar workaround for OS X. I'll keep an eye out — thanks again.

Last edited by Super-Dot (Aug. 27, 2013 05:04:04)

FireNinjaGAME
Scratcher
100+ posts

Tierage wrote:

mrsrec wrote:

Hey Where's My Other Post?
Oh I'll Post It Here:
I Downloaded Scratch 2.0 Offline Beta First!
Proof, if you will.
Why Did I Not Get First Post?
Because I Was Busy Playing With The Editor.
Nice. Have you made anything yet?
Let The Fame Arise!
Uh, what do you mean?
Commented in bold.

Lol.

Can't try this out yet, I will next computer I am on.

Moving on from Scratch, to much bigger things. It's gonna be one fun adventure.
B3aT
Scratcher
1 post

Instead of standalone app maybe would be better to make it as Chrome Packaged App ? Less work and available on more platforms, works offline too, easier to install too.
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

At the moment, I actually prefer the online editor, because the offline one has no Autosave or Backpack function.

Last edited by Sonickyle (Aug. 27, 2013 07:22:07)

No I don't make projects anymore. I left some time ago.
I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
lallaway12
Scratcher
100+ posts

Yes got it running and scripting and the installer is fast

See my blog ITS MAD so subscribe comment and enjoy http://lallawayrandom.blogspot.co.uk/ ask me what to put up there
Feed my dragons
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Also, why are the effects Dial-Up Phonebooks?

I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Yay!
*Waits for Linux*

SimpleScratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

I hate having choices
Having banged on the table for this for a year I now have to decide on manually installing it across my 6 schools at the start or term or risking running lessons with the on-line version until a deployable package comes along.

Or still carry on for 1st term using 1.4 and then switch after Christmas?

At this precise moment - a whole 12 hours after launch it has to be said Plan A is to carry-on with 1.4 with Scratchers who've already learnt to use it (Y4/5/6) and risk online lessons with new Scratchers in Y3

But lets see how I feel about this next Thursday

No 1 improvement for me would be an deployable installation package - it doesn't have to be an msi but it does have to be scriptablly installable

Simon
nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I can not install this on my MacBook Pro in Chrome. I get some hard disk error. I can't really download much at the moment so I will manually download AIR at school tomorrow and install it.

My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
tjboyte
Scratcher
14 posts

ok one thing no cloud variables
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

tjboyte wrote:

ok one thing no cloud variables
Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor (Beta)

PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you this is awesome! I can't wait to download it.
boaz
Scratcher
1 post

grokblah wrote:

The Scratch Team is pleased to announce the beta version of the Scratch 2.0 Offline Editor is available. It currently works only on Mac and Windows.

You can install it and find out more here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/

Please leave us feedback and information about any issues here. Be sure to let us know what version of Mac or Windows you're using. Screenshots are always helpful.

Thanks!
Shane
(on behalf of the Scratch Team)

Good news. But wait, will there be an OFFLINE installer?

Millions of PCs are not online. How would they install Scratch 2.0?