Discuss Scratch

julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

Should there be Cash blocks in Scratch?

Do you think there should be Cash blocks in Scratch, like blocks relating to money. REAL money. Like you could ask for $5 IN SCRATCH.
Here's some block ideas:
ask for [$ v] [5] and wait :: operators
This would come with a yes or no button asking to pay
for $5. The drop down list is for selecting currency.
when [$ v] [5] payed :: operators hat
All the blocks under this will be ran if the amount of money is payed.
It should use PayPal to send money.
Please discuss here.
Please support!

Supporters:
julianandwill

Semi-supporters:
Zarlog

No Support:
scrooge100
PrincessPanda_test
DaSpudLord
TheMonsterOfTheDeep
Teriffictastic
Just_Ciaran
Monstermash3
Cream_E_Cookie
Econinja
scrooge200

Last edited by julianandwill (Aug. 20, 2015 04:43:11)

Wanna help make the longest Scratch movie ever? Go here - https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/235554/

When you [have no idea v] :: events hat
Be all like [ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯] :: motion
Feel [proud v] of [yourself v] :: operators cap
Sorry if I get annoying with bumps. It's probably the kumquats messing up my brain.
scrooge100
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This system could be abused. No support.
Also, most people who use scratch are KIDS. They don't have a pay-pal account

Last edited by scrooge100 (Aug. 20, 2015 02:18:22)

PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

No support. Scratch is for educational use, not commercial.

monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

What's PayPal?

Semi-support. This is used in many games, but this is kind of pointless because people could look inside and click the script.

Also, I think this should be in Control or Sensing, not Operators.

EDIT: Or maybe it could be its own Cash category.

EDIT-2: Also, I'm not sure about the currency selector. Maybe it should convert the selected currency into all other currencies so that if someone was viewing a project that asked for money of a currency they didn't use, they could put in money in their own currency equal to the money it asks for in the creator's currency. Otherwise it would be a bit of discrimination.

Last edited by monstermash3 (Aug. 20, 2015 02:27:29)

(Swallowed by an evil kumquat who was just taking a walk in the neighborhood of evil kumquats when they saw a garage sale where they bought a plate which they used to eat but they discovered that it leaked and they went to get their money back but the sale was over so they went in the house but the door was locked so they got their key but it didn't fit so they went home to use the key on the right door which was their own door and then they decided to swallow a signature for no reason.)
julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

Semi-support. This is used in many games, but this is kind of pointless because people could look inside and click the script.

I know, I thought it would look good in green. It should be like cloud data, you can't edit it in someone's project. So support? PayPal is a company that can be used to send to people that have PayPal accounts. For example, donating money.

Last edited by julianandwill (Aug. 20, 2015 02:25:38)

Wanna help make the longest Scratch movie ever? Go here - https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/235554/

Sorry if I get annoying with bumps. It's probably the kumquats messing up my brain.
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scrooge100 wrote:

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

^

U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

I know, I thought it would look good in green. It should be like cloud data, you can't edit it in someone's project. So support? PayPal is a company that can be used to send to people that have PayPal accounts. For example, donating money.
People could still look inside and click the script, though.

(Swallowed by an evil kumquat who was just taking a walk in the neighborhood of evil kumquats when they saw a garage sale where they bought a plate which they used to eat but they discovered that it leaked and they went to get their money back but the sale was over so they went in the house but the door was locked so they got their key but it didn't fit so they went home to use the key on the right door which was their own door and then they decided to swallow a signature for no reason.)
julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

I know. Like I said, it should be like cloud data, you can't edit it or click it. Scratchers only, too.

monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

removed extra quote
I know. Like I said, it should be like cloud data, you can't edit it or click it. Scratchers only, too.
But what about remixes? If there was a non-editable script…

TheMonsterOfTheDeep
Scratcher
1000+ posts

This won't work because Scratch projects are shared under the CC license - they have to be completely open-source and anybody can use the content.

Ergo, somebody could create a remix and just remove all the cash requirements.

So no support.

my latest extension: 2d vector math
julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

removed extra quote
Still, won't be able…

monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

removed extra quote
Still, won't be able…
But that would not really be fair! It would be partly locking remixes.

Preventing remixes is rejected by the sticky. “Imagine, Program, Share”. Since in sharing, others are free to remix, so having a non-editable script would not be fair!

julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

removed extra quote
Still, won't be able…

Preventing remixes is rejected by the sticky. “Imagine, Program, Share”. Since in sharing, others are free to remix, so having a non-editable script would not be fair!
Hmm… I forgot. Well maybe some other way?

monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

julianandwill wrote:

monstermash3 wrote:

What's PayPal?

removed extra quote
Still, won't be able…

Hmm… I forgot. Well maybe some other way?
What other way is there?

I guess it would be fair to, like cloud data, make it so you cannot edit/click scripts that include asking for cash in someone else's project, but then you could remix it to remove the cash blocks!

How else would we prevent that?

I don't know if this would be possible…

Just_Ciaran
Scratcher
100+ posts

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

TheMonsterOfTheDeep wrote:

This won't work because Scratch projects are shared under the CC license - they have to be completely open-source and anybody can use the content.

Ergo, somebody could create a remix and just remove all the cash requirements.

So no support.

What they said

Last edited by Just_Ciaran (Aug. 20, 2015 02:54:26)

Best Projects -> Music Environment and A Remix Of… Twist. Comment on my profile if you need any help
When (Seen (This:: stack grey):: custom hat) :: hat
forever :: list
Find (My Projects :: events end) and start (Playing, Favouriting and Loving :: control)(All my games :: sound cap):: pen
monstermash3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Okay, here's my “logical” reasoning why this wouldn't work.
1. You could make it not editable or clickable in someone else's project.
2. However, someone could still remix it and remove the cash blocks.
3. Unless you made it not editable in a remix.
4. But that's partly locking remixes.
5. Which is rejected.
Therefore, no support.

Zarlog
Scratcher
100+ posts

I like this idea, but there are problems that could be encountered:

-Most people on the Scratch site are between ages 8 and 16, so they aren't going to have a Paypal account.
-It could be abused, meaning people could make in app (or project) purchases. (but this could be reportable…)
-Scratch is a social media site for kids whose parents don't allow them to go on social media, so using it to get money would be wrong…
-Scratch is for sharing, not advertising to make money.

Again, I really like the idea of this, but there are still some problems . However, semi-support for now ,since it could be improved.

EDIT: Another idea: How about the cash value can't be set any higher that $5? Otherwise, someone could put in “$1000,000” for the cash value.

Last edited by Zarlog (Aug. 20, 2015 03:21:09)

julianandwill
Scratcher
500+ posts

Zarlog wrote:

I like this idea, but there are problems that could be encountered:

-Most people on the Scratch site are between ages 8 and 16, so they aren't going to have a Paypal account.
-It could be abused, meaning people could make in app (or project) purchases. (but this could be reportable…)
-Scratch is a social media site for kids whose parents don't allow them to go on social media, so using it to get money would be wrong…
-Scratch is for sharing, not advertising to make money.

Again, I really like the idea of this, but there are still some problems . However, semi-support for now ,since it could be improved.

EDIT: Another idea: How about the cash value can't be set any higher that $5? Otherwise, someone could put in “$1000,000” for the cash value.
Ok. Thanks for the ideas!

Econinja
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Scratch will always be free. No money will ever be charged. That's why I don't support.
(and see other posts above)

Last edited by Econinja (Aug. 20, 2015 03:44:00)

“Honestly, is he serious?” ~ Stoffel Vandoorne
“GP2 Engine, GP2, AAARGH!” ~ Fernando Alonso
“I've tried already, try yourself” ~ Fernando Alonso
“Now we can fight!” ~ Fernando Alonso
Proud McLaren Renault Fan rip alonso

please note: I've essentially left the website to do other stuff full time. please do not message me about anything on my Scratch profile or bother me about Scratch elsewhere, I will probably not respond.
scrooge200
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scrooge100 wrote: