Discuss Scratch

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Height and Width Reporters

I think it'd be a good idea to have height and width reporter looks blocks that report the sprites current dimensions. So changing the size would change the height and width report. Sorry if I messed up typing: I can't see anything.

Last edited by turkey3 (Aug. 21, 2013 21:28:21)

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

What uses could this have….?

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PhirripSyrrip wrote:

What uses could this have….?
Can't think of any off the top of my head, but I think it's a good idea. Or it might be useful when the stretch blocks come to figure out how stretched it is…

Last edited by turkey3 (Aug. 21, 2013 21:30:26)

ProdigyZeta7
Scratcher
1000+ posts

turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

This is precisely what we need.
Along with the reporters would come that. I see uses for it… I was also thinking of a “mass” reporter, which reports how many pixels are making it up. I got the idea because zi used to think the volume reporter meant “volume” as how much material is in a substance

mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

It could work for a typing program because the letters are all different widths. But you could just store the height/width of each costume in a list (which is what I did).

Capsicum annuum.
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mitchboy wrote:

It could work for a typing program because the letters are all different widths. But you could just store the height/width of each costume in a list (which is what I did).
What about if you change the sprite's size? Then it's current dimensions change… Well, multiplication could be used…

PhirripSyrrip
Scratcher
500+ posts

mitchboy wrote:

Now that would be a good use for it, however you did mention a workaround at the end.

Perhaps this block is unnecessary as you can work around it. It would be convenient if it told you the size and dimensions of a sprite without having to go to the costumes tab. Perhaps under where the display for the Sprite's x and y position dimensions and size are listed?

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;You thought I'd get away from you, didn't you?!
dusty22
Scratcher
100+ posts

Heaven forbid the scratch team actually puts this stuff in themselves…

Like the Megaman X series? Want to make Megaman games in Scratch? Check out my studio here, The Megaman X Scratch Engine.
DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Some other ideas

This link is very long.

Last edited by DotDash (Aug. 22, 2013 18:05:40)

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)
mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DotDash wrote:

Some other ideas

This link is very long.
O__O Hold your horses there.

For the first four, what if the sprite isn't a circle/rectangle? Those blocks would be very hard to make.
#5, #6, #8, #10, #11, #12, and #14 are workaroundable (I can show you how to work around them, if you want).
#7 and #15 don't seem very useful (please explain on how we would use these).
#16 would be downright confusing for the system.
This leaves #7 and #9. #9 I'm not sure about and #7 has already been suggested (I can find the topic for you).

Capsicum annuum.
DotDash
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mitchboy wrote:

DotDash wrote:

Some other ideas

This link is very long.
O__O Hold your horses there.

For the first four, what if the sprite isn't a circle/rectangle? Those blocks would be very hard to make.
#5, #6, #8, #10, #11, #12, and #14 are workaroundable (I can show you how to work around them, if you want).
#7 and #15 don't seem very useful (please explain on how we would use these).
#16 would be downright confusing for the system.
This leaves #7 and #9. #9 I'm not sure about and #7 has already been suggested (I can find the topic for you).
I was just messing around with stuff

My browser / operating system: MacOS Macintosh X 10.8.5, Chrome 29.0.1547.76, Flash 11.8 (release 800)