iamunknown2 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

iamunknown2 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

iamunknown2 wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

In C if something goes wrong, something could also drastically go wrong. Plus, it's a horrible first language because…
  • Static typing
  • It's hard to use libraries
  • It's hard to learn and code in
  • Pointers (nuff said)
  • It's obsolete very widely used and inconvenient (sorry gtoal!)
ftfy
But it's still inconvenient
Tell me what a GOOD programming language is then.
I'm not saying that C is a bad programming language, it's just a bad one for beginners. You have to focus on memory management, getting everything to load, and linking/compiling. If you use a language like Python, Ruby, or JavaScript, you can focus on the programming techniques and algorithms instead of learning to print strings and telling the length of a string.
Unfortunately, any search of the above + the word “sucks” comes up with a lot of relevant results.
?
Searches for “Python sucks”, “JavaScript sucks” and so on on Google games up with plenty of results that are relevant.
Every language has its haters.

like tears in chocolate rain
(2012 - 2022 - 20XX)
MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

Share a picture of your text editor

I use Brackets with the Ceratrior II (inspired by Material design) theme, and Monoid-Retina font.

(2012 - 2022 - 20XX)
Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

In C if something goes wrong, something could also drastically go wrong. Plus, it's a horrible first language because…
  • Static typing
  • Pointers (nuff said)
  • It's obsolete very widely used and inconvenient (sorry gtoal!) (thanks pulljosh)
I think you need to emphasize more on that this list is "why it is a horrible first language". Once you aren't so new to programming, and you climb C's steep learning curve, it is so much better. The standard libraries, other libraries shipped with your OS, and all good ones you download all end up making sense, and are well documented. Pointers are the greatest gift the Universe has bestowed upon us, ‘nuff said. There is also a ton of online resources for C too.

Inconvenient and “hard to code in” still kinda apply always, but that is because you can’t just do stuff in C. You have to have some kind of plan. You can't have too many hacked together pieces either, especially if you are hacking the hacked together pieces together. You have to do one piece at a time and have to do it well. You get used to it though.

But you don't have to choose C for everything you do though, especially if you don't want to run into unseen walls. Sometimes other languages are better. It depends on what you are trying to do. I am pretty sure you already know this though.

Last edited by Znapi (Aug. 12, 2015 01:46:17)

MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

Does anyone have experience with both Atom and Brackets? Can you tell me a bit about both?
EDIT: And maybe Visual Studio Code as well?

Last edited by MrFlash67 (Aug. 12, 2015 02:30:42)

(2012 - 2022 - 20XX)
iamunknown2
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrFlash67 wrote:

Does anyone have experience with both Atom and Brackets? Can you tell me a bit about both?
Apparently, Brackets was designed for web design specifically.
That's all I know

| My website | Using Geany | A Christian | Running Ubuntu MATE 14.04 with Flash 18.0 (release 0) | Search this with quotation marks on Google to view my posts: “ellipsepostpianolizard” (some posts may not show up) |

Moving on from Scratch? Learn Python/a scripting language (e.g Perl, JavaScript), then move on to a C derivative
Znapi
Scratcher
500+ posts

My vanilla Emacs(I haven't gotten to trying out the Evil package)

Sorry I'm not showing any interesting project code. I am currently working on little tools to run from a makefile to help with developing my current project. Also, the color might be a little off, GIMP wanted to convert it from sRGB to RGB.

Last edited by Znapi (Aug. 12, 2015 03:32:07)

PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

iamunknown2 wrote:

MrFlash67 wrote:

Apparently, Brackets was designed for web design specifically.
That's all I know
Correct - it has a “live preview” feature which lets you view an HTML file in the browser. Whenever you change that file, or any related files, such as CSS it is using, the page in the brower is automatically updated.

I've only used Brackets, not Atom, but if you're doing web design, I see no reason to use anything other than Brackets.
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

PullJosh wrote:

Correct - it has a “live preview” feature which lets you view an HTML file in the browser. Whenever you change that file, or any related files, such as CSS it is using, the page in the brower is automatically updated.

If and only if you're using Google Chrome, remember!
Because I don't so that feature doesn't have much use to me.
Though Brackets is still wonderful for me, because I used to use Notepad++ for web design like a Comic Sans criminal

:wq
PullJosh
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

Though Brackets is still wonderful for me, because I used to use Notepad++ for web design like a Comic Sans criminal
I keep forgetting that some people are still suffering w/out chrome.

But you can always install chrome and use it only for Brackets.
ChocolatePi
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Znapi wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

• Static typing
  • Pointers (nuff said)
  • It's obsolete very widely used and inconvenient (sorry gtoal!) (thanks pulljosh)
I think you need to emphasize more on that this list is "why it is a horrible first language". Once you aren't so new to programming, and you climb C's steep learning curve, it is so much better. The standard libraries, other libraries shipped with your OS, and all good ones you download all end up making sense, and are well documented. Pointers are the greatest gift the Universe has bestowed upon us, ‘nuff said. There is also a ton of online resources for C too.

Inconvenient and “hard to code in” still kinda apply always, but that is because you can’t just do stuff in C. You have to have some kind of plan. You can't have too many hacked together pieces either, especially if you are hacking the hacked together pieces together. You have to do one piece at a time and have to do it well. You get used to it though.

But you don't have to choose C for everything you do though, especially if you don't want to run into unseen walls. Sometimes other languages are better. It depends on what you are trying to do. I am pretty sure you already know this though.
Exactly. I was trying to say it's a bad first language. Sorry about that!
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ChocolatePi wrote:

gtoal wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

Lol that made me crack up. Magnet and a hard drive XD XD XD
Yeah, no-one ever really did that.
Now, a hole punch and a paper tape, that's totally different.
My dad (who used to be a programmer) told me about punching holes in rolls of paper or something like that and then handing it in to a scientist to get the result the next day.

I knew I had one somewhere:

Punch the holes (manually with a hole punch, if you dare), one hole for EACH BIT YOU WANT SET OF each character you want in your line of code - with a line limit of 72 characters, of course (there are a few extra at the end for special use) - hand in your stack of cards to be compiled, wait until the next day to see if it even compiled, hoping you didn't punch the wrong BIT, etc. (And that you got your cards in the right order!)

Just a reminder of ‘the bad ol’ days'…

Edit: added a correction above (in caps) - forgot to mention punching the bits

Last edited by TheLogFather (Aug. 12, 2015 18:21:48)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

drmcw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TheLogFather wrote:

ChocolatePi wrote:

gtoal wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

Lol that made me crack up. Magnet and a hard drive XD XD XD
Yeah, no-one ever really did that.
Now, a hole punch and a paper tape, that's totally different.
My dad (who used to be a programmer) told me about punching holes in rolls of paper or something like that and then handing it in to a scientist to get the result the next day.

I knew I had one somewhere:

Punch the holes (manually with a hole punch, if you dare), one hole for each character you want in your line of code - with a line limit of 72 characters, of course (there are a few extra at the end for special use) - hand in your stack of cards to be compiled, wait until the next day to see if it even compiled, hoping you didn't punch the wrong character, etc.

Complete with original polo neck.

10 !
ScratchVaders or Galaga?
Maybe Eliza can help you decide?
TheLogFather
Scratcher
1000+ posts

drmcw wrote:

TheLogFather wrote:

Complete with original polo neck.
Oh yeah!

Just realised I forgot about the bits - you need to punch a hole for EACH BIT you want set for each character (each column is a character, and you punch a column of holes, in a binary code, to specify a character).

Made the edit above…

BTW, note the 5+1 columns on the left. Any of you out there ever coded Fortran <=77 might realise the significance…

[vague attempt to bring it back on-topic]
But can you imagine the scene where you have just saved your newly written code, and next time you open it your text editor has randomly scrambled the lines. That's kinda what it's like if you have your punched code all stacked neatly on your desk, ready to take in to be compiled… and then someone bumps your desk and your lines of code are suddenly all over the floor!
[/vague attempt to bring it back on-topic]

Last edited by TheLogFather (Aug. 12, 2015 18:32:06)

Siggy the Kumquat slayer:
Main account: DadOfMrLog –– Frameworks for basic pen-rendered 3D in scratch (see studio). Examples:

- - - - 3D Text - - - - - - Simple shapes - - - Controllable structures - - - On the ground - - - - - - In space - - - -

drmcw
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Is it comment and line number? Never coded in it seriously though just “played”…where're my flares?

10 !
ScratchVaders or Galaga?
Maybe Eliza can help you decide?
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nice photo of the proof of the voyage of discovery! How do peoples program with that, though, specifically? They sketch the 0 and 1's on a paper and then copy it into the punch card?

Last edited by Rumanti (Aug. 13, 2015 00:56:05)

Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

iamunknown2 wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

iamunknown2 wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

Notepad

I would use Visual Studio 2015 Community as well now that there is a free version, but I have Windows XP still, I had another small netbook with Win 7 but it broke somewhere near the end of last year, and I can't get the free Windows 10.
My recommendation is to get something like Atom instead of Notepad.

Edit: And if that doesn't work, try using Geany.
I just watched the trailer.
It's funny
So…

Did you get Geany?
Nope, I haven't done anything yet

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Rumanti wrote:

PullJosh wrote:

Actually, in version 1.1, they added an experimental version of live preview for browsers other than Chrome.
MrFlash67
Scratcher
500+ posts

I'm now using Atom, and loving it!

(2012 - 2022 - 20XX)
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

cobraguy wrote:

Actually, in version 1.1, they added an experimental version of live preview for browsers other than Chrome.
I didn't update my Brackets for ages. What a shame.

WooHooBoy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrFlash67 wrote:

I'm now using Atom, and loving it!
Good for you!

considered harmful