Discuss Scratch

BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

I really want to buy Portal. actually buy it, not download it for free. *free sounds fishy… * My dad doesn't want me to get steam because he says it's slow and whatnot, so steam isn't an option. I have Mac OS X 10.5.8. I might want to upgrade my computer to 10.6.3 (and that costs money) if I want the sequel.

I can find Portal II everywhere, but I would feel guilty to buy the sequel first. plus, as I noted, I would need to upgrade my computer for that, using my precious MOOLAH. *random guy steps away*

is there any way I can get it, with NO STEAM, NO CHEATING *getting for free* AND NO PC?



Signature of signaturiness.
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

I don't think so.

You could get Steam and only have it running when you want to play Portal though.
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

coolitsusa wrote:

I don't think so.

You could get Steam and only have it running when you want to play Portal though.
oh well.

Signature of signaturiness.
banana500
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

No, Portal is distributed strictly through Steam. I'm not even sure if it's for Mac. Sorry man, but you're out of luck.

Last edited by banana500 (Aug. 3, 2013 16:33:22)


3DS FC: 4871-4221-1009 | Notify me before adding so I can add you back!
Steam ID: rock on freaky bro
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

banana500 wrote:

No, Portal is distributed strictly through Steam. I'm not even sure if it's for Mac. Sorry man, but you're out of luck.
It has the Mac system requirements listed on the store page, so it's probably also for Mac.
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

Any used copies of the original for mac anywhere? I found many copies of Portal 2 for pc. as in, copies with disks.

Signature of signaturiness.
banana500
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Any used copies of the original for mac anywhere? I found many copies of Portal 2 for pc. as in, copies with disks.
The disc of Portal 2 still requires Steam, so I'm pretty sure the original does too.

You could probably get Portal 2 for the PS3 or Xbox 360 if you really really want it. And, you don't have to feel guilty about playing the sequel first, since the first one didn't have much of a story.

3DS FC: 4871-4221-1009 | Notify me before adding so I can add you back!
Steam ID: rock on freaky bro
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Any used copies of the original for mac anywhere? I found many copies of Portal 2 for pc. as in, copies with disks.
Even with the disk you need Steam, I'm pretty sure.
blueservine
Scratcher
500+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

With a Steam-based game, the disc is pretty much useless, unless you want to spare download time.

My signature was a really funny gif of Red wiggling her eyebrows, but I left it for a few months and it got taken down. Pity.
generosity
Scratcher
500+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

steam really isn't that bad…

“Take a hard look at the dollar bill and ask yourself, is this really what people are dying for?” - Lil B
coolitsusa
New to Scratch
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

generosity wrote:

steam really isn't that bad…
It can be annoying if you don't have many friends on it or many games. If you have both of those it's great.
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

Can I get portal 2 with a disk on a macbook?

I'm going to upgrade my computer so more games can work on it.

Signature of signaturiness.
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

Note- at my house the only console we have is a PS2 with a broken controller.

Signature of signaturiness.
16Skittles
Scratcher
500+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

Can I get portal 2 with a disk on a macbook?

I'm going to upgrade my computer so more games can work on it.
I got Portal 2 as a retail disk and it registers to Steam. I'm not sure if you can play without registering, though. Also unsure if the retail version would support OSX or only PC. Obviously if the license was transferred to Steam you could download it on Mac as well.

Hopefully you get this all sorted out! Portal (the original) is my favorite video game of all time. No, I don't have nearly as much playtime on it as I do in Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod or Minecraft, but there's a lot more to a game than just the amount of time spent playing it.

Back from hiatus?
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

GAHHHHH DADDEH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!1!1!11! I NEEDIEZ DA STEEMZ! MEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, I would be able to get Portal 2 if somehow my dad lets me get steam. also if:
1. I pay twenty dollars which I soon will have to upgrade my computer.
2. get steam
3. get Portal 2 (probably the disk)

I read about an issue with the game but I have to delete some files including steam and portal 2, redownload them and the problem will be solved.

Signature of signaturiness.
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

I can't get any portal games.
it's over.
I'm gonna close this topic.
thank you for your help and support.
sorry for this overly dramatic ending.

Last edited by BOBBYBOB3 (Aug. 19, 2013 01:44:51)


Signature of signaturiness.
jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

A friend had Portal on a mac without steam I think, he probably bought it before they started selling it through steam maybe? Would you justify buying it on steam, uninstalling steam, then pirating the original version of the game?
BOBBYBOB3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

jji7skyline wrote:

A friend had Portal on a mac without steam I think, he probably bought it before they started selling it through steam maybe? Would you justify buying it on steam, uninstalling steam, then pirating the original version of the game?
I would not pirate. this topic is basically over anyway, no matter how much we hate that.

Signature of signaturiness.
sonicboom1236
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

A friend had Portal on a mac without steam I think, he probably bought it before they started selling it through steam maybe? Would you justify buying it on steam, uninstalling steam, then pirating the original version of the game?
I would not pirate. this topic is basically over anyway, no matter how much we hate that.
yes pirateing is ilegal

]
  • IM TOO HOT,HOT HAM
fetchydog567
Scratcher
100+ posts

Can I buy Portal for Mac without steam?

sonicboom1236 wrote:

BOBBYBOB3 wrote:

jji7skyline wrote:

A friend had Portal on a mac without steam I think, he probably bought it before they started selling it through steam maybe? Would you justify buying it on steam, uninstalling steam, then pirating the original version of the game?
I would not pirate. this topic is basically over anyway, no matter how much we hate that.
yes pirateing is ilegal
Yes it is

.

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile