Discuss Scratch

Littledoggygirl45
Scratcher
100+ posts

Bring back User ID block!

Support! I have wanted to make cloud games for a while but it's too difficult for me considering sprite limit, a User ID block would help a lot! It gives capability to all scratchers for making cloud games! Even if your advanced enough with cloud variables to make User ID's yourself, it gives you more cloud variables to work with, you won't use too many of your ten cloud variables on recreating a username system for your game. This opens up a lot of new ideas and opportunities for creativity, just like the ST wants out of community suggestions.

Urgent Message!
Everybody needs to go onto youtube and view the Stressed Out music video so we can get it to one billion views by our deadline!

|-/
http://huggle.jdf2.org/hug/MoonyTheLoony
also while your at it can I have a huggle?
TheHamsterKing
Scratcher
9 posts

I support this
Penguin5664
Scratcher
100+ posts

thelucariokid wrote:

I was reading about this block in the Scratch Wiki. What it does is takes the amount of views on the project, and that's your ID. Also, it saves on the server, so everyone has the same one each time they view a project. Also, if you're not signed in, it sets the ID to 0, so it can detect if you're not using an account on Cloud games. Also, it could be used as a “limited time base”. What I mean is you can make something available for the first, say, 10 people, giving more reason to play games. Overall, it would make for a great block! Also, I still want the username block just to clear things up.Here is the Wiki page of it.
Please don't say “No support because it could be abused.” Everything can be abused.
I support the:

(user id::sensing

…block!

By the way if you dont know how I colored a non-existing block, check this:
Block Plugin - Scratch Wiki

((づ。◕‿‿◕。::sensing)づ::sensing) // This is "Mini-Bloky". He protects my signature from the kumquats!
How many Block Requests we can get? Please request! Check @78ch3's Everything Shop, too!
when gf clicked :: #B46200
vector :: #C56B00
scratch :: #DA8B00
blocks! :: control
WolfCat67
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I'm just going to quickly mention that all users do, technically, have an ID that can be found. It's the ID given to you the moment you join Scratch; it's taken up and exclusive to you, only. If the User ID block were to be implemented, I would use it to create save data; after all, User IDs are just numbers, and only numbers can be used in Cloud Data… You probably know where this is going.
(The User ID can be found in the source code; it's the number used to show which number of user you were that joined Scratch. The first user had an ID of 1, the second 2, and so on.)

LunaHamster7
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support.

Hello.
I like poking around helping on the forums.
awesome5185
Scratcher
1000+ posts

So lemme get this straight, the id is the same every time you view the project but different for every person? You might want to clarify but I don't support as I can't see what use this can bring..

Regards,
awesome5185

Featured Studio!
Ask Ouija!
Ask a question and get your answers one. letter. at. a. time. Join now!

; Santa Claus and Mrs Claus wanted to get a devorce. However, being in the north pole, there was no one there to help them do that. So they used a semi colon instead; they are great for seperating two independent clauses.
Littledoggygirl45
Scratcher
100+ posts

awesome5185 wrote:

So lemme get this straight, the id is the same every time you view the project but different for every person? You might want to clarify but I don't support as I can't see what use this can bring..
The user ID is like numbers that represent a user, its numbers so that it can be saved onto cloud variables. Its the same every time you view that project so you can create save data for games easier, it opens up more possibilities for multiplayer online games.

Urgent Message!
Everybody needs to go onto youtube and view the Stressed Out music video so we can get it to one billion views by our deadline!

|-/
kenny2scratch
Scratcher
500+ posts

Restricting project features based on number of views is atrocious; restricting project features based on range of IDs is just wrong (and pointless, since you can just edit the code temporarily to give yourself access to those features). I don't really support this block; I believe that the username block is a suitable replacement (and one that is a lot cleaner, too). You can encode the username into ASCII and use that as the user ID if you need something illegible.
TL, DR: restricting features based on views or IDs is wrong; I don't support because I think username is fine.

post brought to you by the preview links bug and previously the uploads site bug. 看一下中文 Scratch 維基想參加?請參考這頁
Join the Scratch Wiki!
Made by Scratchers, for Scratchers, since December 6, 2008

Littledoggygirl45
Scratcher
100+ posts

kenny2scratch wrote:

Restricting project features based on number of views is atrocious; restricting project features based on range of IDs is just wrong (and pointless, since you can just edit the code temporarily to give yourself access to those features). I don't really support this block; I believe that the username block is a suitable replacement (and one that is a lot cleaner, too). You can encode the username into ASCII and use that as the user ID if you need something illegible.
TL, DR: restricting features based on views or IDs is wrong; I don't support because I think username is fine.
I don't understand what your saying right now. I just want to know about how you believe that the user ID will restrict certain project features?

Urgent Message!

|-/
PkmnQ
Scratcher
1000+ posts

My decision:
add [PkmnQ] to [supporters v] // Look below, I almost didn't!
The reasons why I almost didn't add myself to the supporters
  • Cloud lists can be used.
  • There is the username block.
The reasons I added myself to the supporters:
  • Counter to cloud lists, are that new scratchers cannot use it.
  • Counter to the username block, is that it stays constant.
At this point, I couldn't decide. It was equal. I had to make a decision. I almost went to the point that i would not support because the username didn't matter after the cloud list was mentioned, and that i could do a cloud list.
But then… I realized.
  • Countering again to the cloud lists, is that it's complicated to do a cloud list.
And that unbalanced it, and I went to support.

Last edited by PkmnQ (Aug. 11, 2017 07:56:55)

This is an account that exists.

Here, have a useful link:
The Official List of Rejected Suggestions by Za-Chary

Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nether_before wrote:

Support. I can see this being useful for high scores in games: Just tell the player their ID at the start then as it's a number you can put it in a cloud variable. Of course, people could use this for spam type projects as mentioned before, but these could just be reported.
Agreed.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
i_am_king_jeremy
Scratcher
37 posts

every now and again, i forget this page existed

lets just say
my fave game is
earthbound
or some other games i dont know
MisplacedCube
Scratcher
2 posts

Support but you can sort of get a user ID by somehow encrypting a username to numbers or something.
Like this:
define Encrypt (MisplacedCube)
EncryptieStuff
I don't know if you mean this. But what will you use the UserID block through?
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

One of the main uses for this block (using it to index cloud lists, instead of having to unpack and search the whole list for a player's username) no longer applies because cloud data has been nerfed. I can't think of any other super useful uses, so I'm changing to no support.

If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!

or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
Botcho_Otkho
Scratcher
1000+ posts

theonlygusti wrote:

If it functions the way you've described, no support.

Projects could be made which say: “Get your friends to play this project! Until we reach 100 views nothing will happen!”

If it is a unique id per user, which is the same everywhere they go, support.
If you read carefully,the User ID stays forever,if your ID is 6 (because the project has 6 views) if you leave and then come back,your ID will stay 6,it will not be 7.

I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are. - Mewtwo
jokebookservice1
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EDIT: removed

Last edited by jokebookservice1 (Feb. 28, 2018 22:12:03)

MrScratchy09
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support

Hey, I'm MrScratchy09 and I'm an OS & Game developer on Scratch! I like to play games on PC and console, and enjoy messing around with Linux!

kumquats pls dont eat my signature
ronsid
Scratcher
100+ posts

My decision:
add [ronsid] to [supporters v]
Why:
for my latest Podcasting program - an easy way to let only the podcaster end it.
Or at least a encode to cloud reporter/ decode to cloud reporter

This siggy is protected by the Antiquat group
when green flag clicked
say [Scratch Time] for (2) secs
broadcast [funtime v]
when I receive [funtime v]
say [ Yaay] for (2) secs
PrincessFlowerTV
Scratcher
1000+ posts

MrScratchy09 wrote:

Support

LunaHamster7 wrote:

Support.
Please be more constuctive and say why you support.

Got to be good looking cause he's so hard to see -The Beatles

(Thank you @just-there from The Profile Picture Shop for the banner ^^)

Nothing's down here, sorry to disappoint you.

JK. there may be something down there…

Maybe not, tho.

You're determined, aren't you?

Talar du Svenska? Om inte, det ar fin.

Just stop it, will ya?

Fine, you win.

Take a rice cake. *yeets you a rice cake*
Say “Thanks for that rice cake, Kewpie!” if you made it this far.
ScriptedAwesome
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support. Username data takes too much cloud scripting. I'm working on an experimental concept of this that's taking me a long time.