Discuss Scratch

FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

Pre-transition info about the transition to Scratch 2.0 thread! (closed)

veggieman001
jji7skyline
veggieman001
duckzoo
Is Scratch 2 beta downloadable yet or just available as an online version. How can I download to work offline?
It's only available as an online version for now. However, a downloadable version will be made at some point after the final version of the online project editor is made and 2.0 goes out of beta.
There are official rumours of it being a Adobe Air application.
I don't know how rumours can be official, but alright. I had assumed it to be so myself, anyhow.

Oh noes! Adobe Air for Linux is no longer supported. I wish the offline editor is made to support Linux too.

Last edited by FUN_Fall_2012 (Jan. 29, 2013 20:35:34)

I'd rather be diving ,,,
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

FUN_Fall_2012
veggieman001
duckzoo
Is Scratch 2 beta downloadable yet or just available as an online version. How can I download to work offline?
It's only available as an online version for now. However, a downloadable version will be made at some point after the final version of the online project editor is made and 2.0 goes out of beta.

I hope there is almost no delay in releasing the downloadable version after 2.0 goes out of beta. It is important for me because I'd like to show a common interface and similar functionality while scratching off-line in a classroom and on-line at home.

Having said that, I love what I've seen from Scratch 2.0 so far. Thank you!

There may be a bit of a delay, but shouldn't be too long of one. We'll put out alpha versions of the standalone player soon, but they need much more testing before release.

Linux should be possible - at least from preliminary testing.

Last edited by Lightnin (Jan. 29, 2013 22:45:50)

betterplayer
Scratcher
83 posts

Lightnin
funelephant
I have a question. Will the transition be somewhat slow, like a few days, or all at once?

We'll probably shutdown everything for about a couple of days - hopefully less. And when we come back up - it's the dawn of a new era.
Like president madagascar? Also, when will you make it able to upload on Kong and having high scores.
FUN_Fall_2012
Scratcher
11 posts

Lightnin
FUN_Fall_2012
I hope there is almost no delay in releasing the downloadable version after 2.0 goes out of beta. It is important for me because I'd like to show a common interface and similar functionality while scratching off-line in a classroom and on-line at home.

Having said that, I love what I've seen from Scratch 2.0 so far. Thank you!

FUN_Fall_2012
Oh noes! Adobe Air for Linux is no longer supported. I wish the offline editor is made to support Linux too.

There may be a bit of a delay, but shouldn't be too long of one. We'll put out alpha versions of the standalone player soon, but they need much more testing before release.

Linux should be possible - at least from preliminary testing.

Thank you on both counts.

Last edited by FUN_Fall_2012 (Jan. 29, 2013 22:59:29)

I'd rather be diving ,,,
mrcreepypasta
Scratcher
1 post

I have a question. What will happen to your scratch 1.4 projects?
veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mrcreepypasta
I have a question. What will happen to your scratch 1.4 projects?
The ones on the Scratch 1.4 site right now will be transferred. Ones on your computer will remain on your computer and you will be able to upload them to the site from the Scratch 1.4 program or create a new project on here and then select Import local file… from the Edit menu.

EricChen77
Scratcher
7 posts

I have a few questions. Will the people I follow on the 2.0 beta site be deleted after 2.0 release? Will the data like favorites be deleted only from the 2.0 beta site? Will favorites done on 1.4 still remain? Will 1.4 still be downloadable? Will Scratch 1.4 website have a “resnapshot” when 2.0 is released?
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

EricChen77
I have a few questions. Will the people I follow on the 2.0 beta site be deleted after 2.0 release? Will the data like favorites be deleted only from the 2.0 beta site? Will favorites done on 1.4 still remain? Will 1.4 still be downloadable? Will Scratch 1.4 website have a “resnapshot” when 2.0 is released?

1. Yep! (unfortunately - but let me ask Sayamindu to make sure. It'd be really nice to keep them..)

2. Most likely.

3. Yep.

4. Yep.

5. 1.x website will close down. (2.0 will become scratch.mit.edu)
prothatweighsagram
Scratcher
2 posts

why is it only online?
bluepuffin
Scratcher
30 posts

prothatweighsagram
why is it only online?
Do you mean beta? If you do for convinience. If you mean 2.0 itself, it isn't.

Does this help?

Sorry about the spellings!

bluepuffin

—————————
CheeseMunchy
Scratcher
100+ posts

prothatweighsagram
why is it only online?
There will be a downloadable version some time after the Scratch 2.0 full release.

Running Google Chrome on Windows 7.

Unidentified Flying Glitch
pokechued
Scratcher
31 posts

SpriteMaster
Can I be able to open a 1.4 project in 2.0 ?

Yes

EAT PIE(I'm to lazy to re-make the image right now)
curiouscrab
Scratcher
500+ posts

Lightnin
I recently shared a project to the old Scratch website. Why isn’t it showing up on the beta 2.0 site?
Around midnight on January 25th we took a snapshot of the old website’s data (projects, comments, etc.) and copied it over to the beta 2.0 site. The beta 2.0 site won’t know about projects or comments shared to the old website after January 25th. When we’re ready to release Scratch 2.0, we’ll copy over all the stuff shared to the old site since January 25th.
I shared one before January 25th and it didn't show up.
haxcharsol
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Just to be clear, the TIRAP and TIMAC threads will be transferred to the new site right?
Or will they need to be remade?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to emit a beacon of light from my seeing orbs.
veggieman001
Scratcher
1000+ posts

haxcharsol
Just to be clear, the TIRAP and TIMAC threads will be transferred to the new site right?
Or will they need to be remade?
All threads from all sections will need to be remade if kept.

kayybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

curiouscrab
Lightnin
I recently shared a project to the old Scratch website. Why isn’t it showing up on the beta 2.0 site?
Around midnight on January 25th we took a snapshot of the old website’s data (projects, comments, etc.) and copied it over to the beta 2.0 site. The beta 2.0 site won’t know about projects or comments shared to the old website after January 25th. When we’re ready to release Scratch 2.0, we’ll copy over all the stuff shared to the old site since January 25th.
It might be out of order.
Hardmath123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kayybee
curiouscrab
Lightnin
It might be out of order.
(By which she means not in the correct order of projects on your mystuff, so check near the bottom. Not as in the sign on our elevator).
eldarado
Scratcher
5 posts

i hear faves love its and possibly veiws could be deleted yikes but i have a question will there be ablility to add yourself in to add your self projects i love the new version
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

eldarado wrote:

i hear faves love its and possibly veiws could be deleted yikes but i have a question will there be ablility to add yourself in to add your self projects i love the new version

Yep! Only deleted from this site - the ones from the old site will all get carried over.

Sure you can add yourself - should be even easier with the backpack! Try it out!
scratchdudes
Scratcher
1 post

I'm gunna miss the old site