Discuss Scratch

rifj190
Scratcher
25 posts

Pre-transition info about the transition to Scratch 2.0 thread! (closed)

Lightnin wrote:

funelephant wrote:

I have a question. Will the transition be somewhat slow, like a few days, or all at once?

We'll probably shutdown everything for about a couple of days - hopefully less. And when we come back up - it's the dawn of a new era.

AWWWWWW!! Is it nessasery for the website to shutdown?
cheddargirl
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

rifj190 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

funelephant wrote:

I have a question. Will the transition be somewhat slow, like a few days, or all at once?

We'll probably shutdown everything for about a couple of days - hopefully less. And when we come back up - it's the dawn of a new era.

AWWWWWW!! Is it nessasery for the website to shutdown?
Yes. Transferring millions of projects and comments does take some time, after all. ^^;

Sadly, my forum signature was eaten by an evil kumquat.
Alphaslucas
Scratcher
20 posts

When will there be an update for the offline version(The program)
And when will the website be updated?

~~Thanks for Reading my Post!~~
anli
Scratcher
1 post

Will cloud data still be the same? Or will cloud data be reset to 0?

Error 404!
Sorry, anli's signature is not available.
Please try again later.
(I'm actually too lazy to create one)
Blazingwave
Scratcher
1000+ posts

When you shut down the site from May 6-9 will we at least be able to view the website or will it be completely shut down?

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Blazingwave wrote:

When you shut down the site from May 6-9 will we at least be able to view the website or will it be completely shut down?

Nope. It'll be shut down completely- their servers will be VERY busy.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
xtragamerpokemaster
Scratcher
15 posts

Lightnin wrote:

Lots of Scratchers have asked us how the transition will work, so we thought we’d write up a short summary and post it in the forums.

I recently shared a project to the old Scratch website. Why isn’t it showing up on the beta 2.0 site?
Around midnight on January 25th we took a snapshot of the old website’s data (projects, comments, etc.) and copied it over to the beta 2.0 site. The beta 2.0 site won’t know about projects or comments shared to the old website after January 25th. When we’re ready to release Scratch 2.0, we’ll copy over all the stuff shared to the old site since January 25th.

Now that we can test out the beta version of Scratch 2.0, how long until it is released?
We hope to keep the beta period short. But it depends on how much more work we have to do to make sure everything is working well. We’ll let everyone know at least a week before we’re planning on closing down the old site and transitioning everything to the new one.

How often will Scratch Team update the beta site with bug fixes and new features?
We'll release updates and fixes at least once a week during the beta - and sometimes more often than that. Look for announcements about these updates in the Announcements forum. If you don't see the changes described in an update, try doing a hard refresh, or clearing your cache.

Will projects from the beta site still be available after the release of Scratch 2.0?
Yes, projects made on the beta site will stay on the new site.

Will anything get deleted when we move from beta to the official Scratch 2.0 release?
Yes, some things such as studios created and project comments, love-its, favorites, and views made in the Scratch 2.0 beta will be deleted when we transition to the official Scratch 2.0 release.

What does it mean to Follow someone?
If you click the Follow button on a Scratcher’s profile, you then receive updates about their projects and other Scratch activities on your home page.

Why did it change from Friends to Followers?
When we first released the Scratch website in 2007, the concept of “Friending” wasn’t completely figured out. With the rise of Facebook and social networking sites, “Friending” now means that both people have agreed to a connection, whereas “Following” is when one person decides they want to receive public updates about the other. Since this is how “Friends” have always worked on Scratch, we decided to change the name to “Following” to avoid confusing new users.

Why change the name of “Galleries” to “Studios”?
On the old Scratch website, we were excited to realize that Scratchers used galleries for lots of different purposes - not just for showing projects, but for role-playing games and collabs, to name a few. We decided a more general name would be a better fit.

My login doesn’t work on the beta 2.0 site - what’s wrong?
The 2.0 test site only knows about accounts created on the old site - scratch.mit.edu - before January 26th, 2013. So you can only login with accounts made before then. If you changed your password on scratch.mit.edu after Jan. 25th, you’ll need to use your old password to login to the beta site.

Will the projects from the old site be available on the new site?
Yes - all projects will be imported to the beta site, as well as all comments and galleries.

Why do projects imported from the old site have more views on the beta site?
On the old site, we only counted a single view for each location used to view the project. Many schools and libraries set up their networks in a way that makes it look like all their users are coming from a single location. So if 1000 kids in a school (or school district) viewed your project, it counted as 1 view. The view count shown on the beta site is a re-calcuation of old data, and is a more accurate measure of views.

Will posts from the old Scratch forums be brought to the new Scratch forums?
No - many if not most of those posts are outdated. But they will still be visible on a read-only copy of the old forums. The layout of the various forums will be pretty much the same after the release.

Will Scratch 2.0 have the same forums as the old site?
Yes, but not until we release Scratch 2.0. While Scratch 2.0 is in beta, only a smaller set of forums will be available.

When will Scratch 2.0 be translated into more languages?
There's still lots of work to be done translating Scratch 2.0. Look for updates in the near future! I you'd like to help translate, check out this wiki page.

Will there ever be a downloadable Scratch 2.0 editor?
Yep! But it won't be ready when we initially release 2.0. We plan to get it into alpha / beta state soon after the release.

Will we still be able to make projects with Scratch 1.4, and share them to this website?
Certainly!

If you have additional questions, post them here!

Umm… I am using the scratch beta for the STEM challenge and when the site is shut down I'm afraid I'll be diqualified becuase they can't get to the site! If you have any so;utions please reply!
scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

xtragamerpokemaster wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Lots of Scratchers have asked us how the transition will work, so we thought we’d write up a short summary and post it in the forums.

I recently shared a project to the old Scratch website. Why isn’t it showing up on the beta 2.0 site?
Around midnight on January 25th we took a snapshot of the old website’s data (projects, comments, etc.) and copied it over to the beta 2.0 site. The beta 2.0 site won’t know about projects or comments shared to the old website after January 25th. When we’re ready to release Scratch 2.0, we’ll copy over all the stuff shared to the old site since January 25th.

Now that we can test out the beta version of Scratch 2.0, how long until it is released?
We hope to keep the beta period short. But it depends on how much more work we have to do to make sure everything is working well. We’ll let everyone know at least a week before we’re planning on closing down the old site and transitioning everything to the new one.

How often will Scratch Team update the beta site with bug fixes and new features?
We'll release updates and fixes at least once a week during the beta - and sometimes more often than that. Look for announcements about these updates in the Announcements forum. If you don't see the changes described in an update, try doing a hard refresh, or clearing your cache.

Will projects from the beta site still be available after the release of Scratch 2.0?

Will anything get deleted when we move from beta to the official Scratch 2.0 release?
Yes, some things such as studios created and project comments, love-its, favorites, and views made in the Scratch 2.0 beta will be deleted when we transition to the official Scratch 2.0 release.

If you click the Follow button on a Scratcher’s profile, you then receive updates about their projects and other Scratch activities on your home page.

When we first released the Scratch website in 2007, the concept of “Friending” wasn’t completely figured out. With the rise of Facebook and social networking sites, “Friending” now means that both people have agreed to a connection, whereas “Following” is when one person decides they want to receive public updates about the other. Since this is how “Friends” have always worked on Scratch, we decided to change the name to “Following” to avoid confusing new users.

On the old Scratch website, we were excited to realize that Scratchers used galleries for lots of different purposes - not just for showing projects, but for role-playing games and collabs, to name a few. We decided a more general name would be a better fit.

The 2.0 test site only knows about accounts created on the old site - scratch.mit.edu - before January 26th, 2013. So you can only login with accounts made before then. If you changed your password on scratch.mit.edu after Jan. 25th, you’ll need to use your old password to login to the beta site.

Yes - all projects will be imported to the beta site, as well as all comments and galleries.

On the old site, we only counted a single view for each location used to view the project. Many schools and libraries set up their networks in a way that makes it look like all their users are coming from a single location. So if 1000 kids in a school (or school district) viewed your project, it counted as 1 view. The view count shown on the beta site is a re-calcuation of old data, and is a more accurate measure of views.

No - many if not most of those posts are outdated. But they will still be visible on a read-only copy of the old forums. The layout of the various forums will be pretty much the same after the release.

Yes, but not until we release Scratch 2.0. While Scratch 2.0 is in beta, only a smaller set of forums will be available.

There's still lots of work to be done translating Scratch 2.0. Look for updates in the near future! I you'd like to help translate, check out this wiki page.

Yep! But it won't be ready when we initially release 2.0. We plan to get it into alpha / beta state soon after the release.

Will we still be able to make projects with Scratch 1.4, and share them to this website?
Certainly!

Umm… I am using the scratch beta for the STEM challenge and when the site is shut down I'm afraid I'll be diqualified becuase they can't get to the site! If you have any so;utions please reply!
I'm not sure the STEM challenge is… Can they judge before or after it's shut down? Or perhaps is it only a single project you have up, where you can download the page?

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
xtragamerpokemaster
Scratcher
15 posts

scimonster wrote:

xtragamerpokemaster wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Iits due tommorrow so I can't covert this to 1.4

Certainly!

I'm not sure the STEM challenge is… Can they judge before or after it's shut down? Or perhaps is it only a single project you have up, where you can download the page?
mr99
Scratcher
25 posts

One thing I wish is the ability to subscribe to your own messages as RSS feed.

Sorry for bad English…
qwerts9000
Scratcher
27 posts

Now there will be Sub4Sub problems…

Or should I say… Follow4Follow

I regret nothing
zach0558
Scratcher
5 posts

Lightnin wrote:

NOOOOO!!
Is there any way to avoid this???
scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zach0558 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

NOOOOO!!
You can manually create lists of studio data, but otherwise: no.

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

zach0558 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

NOOOOO!!

That is like a direct quote from me - I've said it many a time.
We have a plan to try to save some of this data. It is a plan that we cannot promise will work, because to test it first would take a few days time that we don't have now. So I'm going to say: comments, love-its, favorites, and views made on the beta will not remain after the transition. And if we can manage to save even some portion of that, it should be considered a minor miracle (for which Sayamindu should be thanked). XD
rorster
Scratcher
1 post

Will the Scratch 2.0 downloadable software connect to external devices?(like PicoBoards or LEGO WeDo)

Last edited by rorster (May 1, 2013 19:28:26)

zippynk
Scratcher
60 posts

Lightnin wrote:

zach0558 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

NOOOOO!!

That is like a direct quote from me - I've said it many a time.
We have a plan to try to save some of this data. It is a plan that we cannot promise will work, because to test it first would take a few days time that we don't have now. So I'm going to say: comments, love-its, favorites, and views made on the beta will not remain after the transition. And if we can manage to save even some portion of that, it should be considered a minor miracle (for which Sayamindu should be thanked). XD
Are you going to create a backup of the beta site the way it is before the transfer? (and so the info isn't lost completely, if you ever find a way to transfer it)

Last edited by zippynk (May 1, 2013 22:34:07)

radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

I pretty much think that activity on the beta is kinda useless since its gonna be deleted.

Wanna laugh? This should to it!
Wanna pop some bubbles? Bubbles!
Wanna be a slime? Get slimy!
Wanna find out something? Did ya know…
Wanna see an epic video? MWAHAHA
Wanna die? No URL cuz you don't!

LUUUULZ
grahamio
Scratcher
6 posts

My friend was wondering if you will be able to use the 1.4 editor on the new site

Cap on the Bottle!
zippynk
Scratcher
60 posts

grahamio wrote:

My friend was wondering if you will be able to use the 1.4 editor on the new site
Yeah
Not to edit projects made in 2.0, though. Once it has 2.0's fingerprint, it doesn't work in 1.4.

thebriculator
Scratcher
100+ posts

radu4000 wrote:

I pretty much think that activity on the beta is kinda useless since its gonna be deleted.
You can still make projects! I'm pretty sure they will be transfered