Discuss Scratch

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Pre-transition info about the transition to Scratch 2.0 thread! (closed)

Glad you like Scratch xtragamerpokemaster! Please don't use your real name on Scratch though.

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

funelephant wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

funelephant wrote:

I have a question. Will the transition be somewhat slow, like a few days, or all at once?

We'll probably shutdown everything for about a day or so - hopefully less. And when we come back up - it's the dawn of a new era.
Oh okay I think like a week before, you should implement little things, then shut it down

Hmm… a lesson in patience. You may rest assured that I will not rest during those days.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ak112 wrote:

I think you should keep the old look but keep all the new changes.

The old look? Why? A lot of us like the new look! But I guess they could make a “classic” setting accessible through Account Settings… Still, that's a lot of work! The site has been totally reformatted for 2.0, as well as there are so many new features! So I doubt the ST will go for this. I'm all for options, but my personal opinion is that the 2.0 look is better.

Last edited by Failord (April 3, 2013 02:30:28)

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

Keesicool
Scratcher
52 posts

I like the new idea of views coming in from more then one area, well you know what I mean, since 2.0 I've gotten over 100 more views, I don't like though how there going to be deleted when the conversion happens.

Also I cant change my profile picture so try to fix that, I've read a lot of forums and a lot of people are complaining.

Last edited by Keesicool (April 3, 2013 02:40:05)

csavery1
Scratcher
12 posts

How Do I Upload Scratch 2.0 with Scratch 1.4?

Csavery1. Started as a beginner years ago and now i have a lot of improvements to work on my projects.
Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

csavery1 wrote:

Simply go to the “file” dropdown menu on the Project Editor in 2.0 and click, “import from your computer.” Find your project and WHALLAH! It's there. (I didn't bother to look up the spelling of the French word. )

Last edited by Failord (April 3, 2013 02:52:33)

Keesicool
Scratcher
52 posts

csavery1 wrote:

they will most likely make a downloadable 2.0 after the un-Beta version is released
Thomas1101
Scratcher
1 post

Will The Text Be Fixed When The Downloadable Scratch 2.0 Comes Out Because Sometimes On 1.4, The Text Disappears In Text Editor And All Of THe Text Disappears.
radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

My list of Scratch 2.0 likes and dislikes:

• EPIC new layout
    Brighter editor, not so bored anymore!
    Awesome new blocks
    Editing and creating project directly from the browser
    Username block available
    Cloud data
    Backpack

Dislikes:

• Costume center isn't automatically set like 1.4
    Drawings with the pencil in vector editor get slightly reshaped
    Lines in paint editor sometimes don't appear
    No triangle tool
    Unable to create custom reporters, booleans, cap blocks and C-blocks (tell me when these are gonna be included)
    You need a “Define” block to define a custom block
    Block creating should be like BYOB
    Unable to put custom blocks in categories like BYOB
    DEFINETLY NEEDS A BOOLEAN BLOCK LIKE: < contains > (a string contains another)

Wanna laugh? This should to it!
Wanna pop some bubbles? Bubbles!
Wanna be a slime? Get slimy!
Wanna find out something? Did ya know…
Wanna see an epic video? MWAHAHA
Wanna die? No URL cuz you don't!

LUUUULZ
CANSLP
Scratcher
100+ posts

When will acounts after 01/25 be able to login in the beta site?

– C A N S L P
Traveling Game Designer

DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

When you click the last post of a forum topic under a certain search result, why does the link direct you to the first post of that thread?

Isn't it supposed to take you to the latest post on that topic like in the old website?
nathmorr
Scratcher
24 posts

SFollis
Scratcher
500+ posts

radu4000 wrote:

Dislikes:

• Costume center isn't automatically set like 1.4 – yeah
    Drawings with the pencil in vector editor get slightly reshaped – agree
    Lines in paint editor sometimes don't appear – really?
    No triangle tool – yeah. but it is easy to make a triangle, and 1.4 didn't have a triangle tool
    Unable to create custom reporters, booleans, cap blocks and C-blocks (tell me when these are gonna be included) – i agree, but they will in 2.1
    You need a “Define” block to define a custom block – that is how you make the block
    Block creating should be like BYOB – it is
    Unable to put custom blocks in categories like BYOB – sort of agree
    DEFINETLY NEEDS A BOOLEAN BLOCK LIKE: < contains > (a string contains another) – you can easily make those

Keesicool
Scratcher
52 posts

SFollis wrote:

radu4000 wrote:

Dislikes:

No triangle tool – yeah. but it is easy to make a triangle, and 1.4 didn't have a triangle tool
    Unable to create custom reporters, booleans, cap blocks and C-blocks (tell me when these are gonna be included) – i agree, but they will in 2.1
    You need a “Define” block to define a custom block – that is how you make the block
    DEFINETLY NEEDS A BOOLEAN BLOCK LIKE: < contains > (a string contains another) – you can easily make those

true
SFollis
Scratcher
500+ posts

CANSLP wrote:

When will acounts after 01/25 be able to login in the beta site?
once 2.0 is official

gene_bernardino11
Scratcher
2 posts

Cool, Lightin
radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

SFollis wrote:

radu4000 wrote:

Dislikes:

Yeah suure! Block creating in byob does not need a “define” block that you need to put in the scripts pane (or whatever it si called). And I'm happy custom reporters and such will be available in scratch 2.1

LUUUULZ
radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

Some more likes and dislikes about 2.0.

More likes:

• BETTAR!
    New layout makes me more active.
    Vector graphics
    More emoticons in comments ( _meow_ _gobo_ _waffle_ _bloop_ )
    Block creating
    All projects that I have seen on the beta are AWESOMER!!!!

More dislikes:

• Extremely hard to differentiate the area where you can draw and the area where you can't draw (paint editor)
    User ID should be back, but renamed so new Scratchers don't get confused becasue their ID being always 1 or 0.
    There should be blocks that count how many love-its, favorites, remixes, in how many studios and how many times the project has been reported.
    There should be a way to turn your projects into a SWF (Shockwave Flash) file, play it offline, and upload to Kongregate or such.
    Next costume block is useless since in 2.0, you can choose "Switch costume to .
    In the "when key pressed“ and the ”<key pressed?>“ blocks, there should be more options like ”tab, caps lock, shift, ctrl, alt, ~, `, esc, f1, f2……., f11, f12, num lock, scroll lock, delete, end, page down, page up, insert, home, print screen, /, ?, ! , commas, periods, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, )
    “days since 2000” should be renamed " since (2000)“ and the block ” until (2014)" should be added.

Seriously, I love these lists!

LUUUULZ
radu4000
Scratcher
53 posts

radu4000 wrote:

Some more likes and dislikes about 2.0.

More likes:

• BETTAR!
    New layout makes me more active.
    Vector graphics
    More emoticons in comments ( _meow_ _gobo_ _waffle_ _bloop_ )
    Block creating
    All projects that I have seen on the beta are AWESOMER!!!!

More dislikes:

• Extremely hard to differentiate the area where you can draw and the area where you can't draw (paint editor)
    User ID should be back, but renamed so new Scratchers don't get confused becasue their ID being always 1 or 0.
    There should be blocks that count how many love-its, favorites, remixes, in how many studios and how many times the project has been reported.
    There should be a way to turn your projects into a SWF (Shockwave Flash) file, play it offline, and upload to Kongregate or such.
    Next costume block is useless since in 2.0, you can choose "Switch costume to . - I meant that you can choose to switch to the next costume.
    In the "when key pressed“ and the ”<key pressed?>“ blocks, there should be more options like ”tab, caps lock, shift, ctrl, alt, ~, `, esc, f1, f2……., f11, f12, num lock, scroll lock, delete, end, page down, page up, insert, home, print screen, /, ?, ! , commas, periods, @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, (, )
    “days since 2000” should be renamed " since (2000)“ and the block ” until (2014)" should be added.

Seriously, I love these lists!

LUUUULZ
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

radu4000 wrote:

My list of Scratch 2.0 likes and dislikes:

• EPIC new layout
    Brighter editor, not so bored anymore!
    Awesome new blocks
    Editing and creating project directly from the browser
    Username block available
    Cloud data
    Backpack

Dislikes:

• Costume center isn't automatically set like 1.4
    Drawings with the pencil in vector editor get slightly reshaped
    Lines in paint editor sometimes don't appear
    No triangle tool
    Unable to create custom reporters, booleans, cap blocks and C-blocks (tell me when these are gonna be included)
    You need a “Define” block to define a custom block
    Block creating should be like BYOB
    Unable to put custom blocks in categories like BYOB
    DEFINETLY NEEDS A BOOLEAN BLOCK LIKE: < contains > (a string contains another)

Thanks for the feedback!
For costume center - can you make a thread about that in bugs and glitches? I thought we did set a default center…
For lines in paint editor (bitmap?) not appearing - can you also make a thread on that?
re: BYOB - naw, there's a reason we're different. We're focusing on making a great tool for people without a lot of programming experience. If you want those features, use Snap!