Discuss Scratch

RalphDavid4
Scratcher
35 posts

Pre-transition info about the transition to Scratch 2.0 thread! (closed)

Hey! I have an idea. If Scratch 2.0 full is realeased we need a offline version!

RalphDavid4
Many projects. Made by me
Nerd_Herd
Scratcher
21 posts

FAO: scratch team

could you make an age checker thing for scratch, so that any games that are classified by the scratch team as ‘chatrooms’ are only available to people who are maybe 14 years or older? I've made some really good code for a chatroom, but I am not allowed to. Also, cloud lists and cloud letters in variables would be really useful. I'd be really annoyed if I can't use this chatroom code. Maybe, in case of people just making a new account to go on chatroom projects that say they're older than they are, there should be an age and Computer IP list so that the computers with young people can't go on it, not just the accounts. The age thing would obviously have to update the age put in when making accounts, but otherwise it could really limit cloud variable use.

Last edited by Nerd_Herd (March 17, 2013 16:55:31)

nathanprocks
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Nerd_Herd wrote:

FAO: scratch team

could you make an age checker thing for scratch, so that any games that are classified by the scratch team as ‘chatrooms’ are only available to people who are maybe 14 years or older? I've made some really good code for a chatroom, but I am not allowed to. Also, cloud lists and cloud letters in variables would be really useful. I'd be really annoyed if I can't use this chatroom code. Maybe, in case of people just making a new account to go on chatroom projects that say they're older than they are, there should be an age and Computer IP list so that the computers with young people can't go on it, not just the accounts. The age thing would obviously have to update the age put in when making accounts, but otherwise it could really limit cloud variable use.
Cloud data wasn't designed to be used for chat rooms. It can be used for many other things such as polls, game save data, multiplayer games. If I create a game that needs some communication, I would use a “safe chat”.

Want to write text in rainbow? How about uʍop-ǝpısdn? Or just sdrawkcab? Get the TextTools Chrome extension!
My browser / operating system: Macrosoft Winding XO, Internet Exploder 6.0, Angel Player ver.:1.2.5
;
Rotation
Scratcher
3 posts

Hey Scratch Team,

It will be awesome if you can add a “copy sprite …” block

Keep this great work up!
7734f
Scratcher
500+ posts

Rotation wrote:

Hey Scratch Team,

It will be awesome if you can add a “copy sprite …” block

Keep this great work up!
There is that it's the clone block!

mcjohnso
Scratcher
47 posts

YAY! We can still use scratch 1.4! Thank you so much scratch team!

Privacy at its finest

You won't be unknown anymore

I love math, Python, bash scripting, Star Wars, Linux, and EDM. What can I say, I'm a geek.
Running Ubuntu Precise 12.04 Linux distribution with Xfce Desktop Environment.
CANSLP
Scratcher
100+ posts

Why can't you remix your own projects anymore? You used to be able to remix your own things by downloading and re sharing with edits, like if you were making a sequal or something, but now with the new website it just changes the original. REALLY FRUSTRAITING!!

– C A N S L P
Traveling Game Designer

scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CANSLP wrote:

Why can't you remix your own projects anymore? You used to be able to remix your own things by downloading and re sharing with edits, like if you were making a sequal or something, but now with the new website it just changes the original. REALLY FRUSTRAITING!!
You can remix your own projects. See Inside, click File, and Save as copy.

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
DIY
Scratcher
500+ posts

I still haven't got a proper response as to why only 20 users are shown online…
dr3w8
Scratcher
100+ posts

DIY wrote:

It is to save space on the page, especially for mobile devices.

botcrusher
Scratcher
500+ posts

DIY wrote:

did you not see the post on Pi day?

Pondering what to work on.
qwerts9000
Scratcher
27 posts

cool

I regret nothing
ak112
Scratcher
2 posts

I think you should keep the old look but keep all the new changes. And Why make people follow each other? I like being friends with people. And also why not put everything on one page in your studio?
theamazingblob
Scratcher
24 posts

ak112 wrote:

I think you should keep the old look but keep all the new changes. And Why make people follow each other? I like being friends with people. And also why not put everything on one page in your studio?
If you have everything in a studio on one page, it will take a very long time for larger studios to load.

School: Windows 7 x86 with Google Chrome
Home: Ubuntu 12.10 x64 with Google Chrome; Ubuntu 13.04 Daily Build x64 with Google Chrome
Keep calm and scratch on!
thebriculator
Scratcher
100+ posts

Hey ST! I got a problem.
For some reason, the “Scratch News” is hidden for me.
I do have a service that blocks some websites on my computer, but that program isn't telling me that it's blocking any scratch-related website. I'm pretty sure that you guys are posting “news”, so the problem must be on my end. Maybe you guys could give me the host you use for the blog or something, which would help this end solve the problem.

Thanks!

If you could message me on my userpage that would be great.

Last edited by thebriculator (March 23, 2013 01:55:54)

kayybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ak112 wrote:

Well, originally in 1.4, the “friending” was only one way. They system hasn't changed at all, except for being renamed.
(In 1.4, “friending” was inappropriately named as you could friend someone without their permission, and they might not want to be your friend. So now “following” is a more appropriate name for this feature.)
vedkhandekar
Scratcher
47 posts

I have a question. In Ubuntu 12.10 there is Ubuntu Software centre, if we want to download something we have to see there, currently there is Scratch 1.4, when Scratch 2.0 will release, will it come there?

Paint your imagination here!
Play the classic Tic-Tac-Toe
Pop some Bubbles!
And more! Visit here for more stuff!

And if you have questions, just ask!
Aditya007
Scratcher
42 posts

vedkhandekar wrote:

I have a question. In Ubuntu 12.10 there is Ubuntu Software centre, if we want to download something we have to see there, currently there is Scratch 1.4, when Scratch 2.0 will release, will it come there?
When 2.0 beta will become 2.0 Final, it will be offline and if u are able to see 1.4 there then at the time of release, u will see 2.0 tooooooo!!! (I thinnk)
BDW do uuse ubuntu

Last edited by Aditya007 (March 26, 2013 10:46:12)

Beta = 2.0 = Cloud = Better
Woo Hoo!!!

Flashlight: A Calculator, Different From Other Calculators
Try one of the best art languages of the world Converted Into Scratch, MS LOGO
A Great Mathematically Made Art Project, Flower Draw
A Great Painting Fun, Mirror Mouse

Have Fun
vedkhandekar
Scratcher
47 posts

Aditya007 wrote:

vedkhandekar wrote:

When 2.0 beta will become 2.0 Final, it will be offline and if u are able to see 1.4 there then at the time of release, u will see 2.0 tooooooo!!! (I thinnk)
BDW do uuse ubuntu
Thanks for telling!
Yes I use Ubuntu 12.10, I had to install another OS because, Windows 7 in my computer was not working properly, so I installed Ubuntu, it's very good!

Paint your imagination here!
Play the classic Tic-Tac-Toe
Pop some Bubbles!
And more! Visit here for more stuff!

And if you have questions, just ask!
xtragamerpokemaster
Scratcher
15 posts

Lightnin wrote:

Lots of Scratchers have asked us how the transition will work, so we thought we’d write up a short summary and post it in the forums.

I recently shared a project to the old Scratch website. Why isn’t it showing up on the beta 2.0 site?
Around midnight on January 25th we took a snapshot of the old website’s data (projects, comments, etc.) and copied it over to the beta 2.0 site. The beta 2.0 site won’t know about projects or comments shared to the old website after January 25th. When we’re ready to release Scratch 2.0, we’ll copy over all the stuff shared to the old site since January 25th.

Now that we can test out the beta version of Scratch 2.0, how long until it is released?
We hope to keep the beta period short. But it depends on how much more work we have to do to make sure everything is working well. We’ll let everyone know at least a week before we’re planning on closing down the old site and transitioning everything to the new one.

How often will Scratch Team update the beta site with bug fixes and new features?
We'll release updates and fixes at least once a week during the beta - and sometimes more often than that. Look for announcements about these updates in the Announcements forum. If you don't see the changes described in an update, try doing a hard refresh, or clearing your cache.

Will projects from the beta site still be available after the release of Scratch 2.0?
Yes, projects made on the beta site will stay on the new site.

Will anything get deleted when we move from beta to the official Scratch 2.0 release?
Yes, some things such as studios created and project comments, love-its, favorites, and views made in the Scratch 2.0 beta will be deleted when we transition to the official Scratch 2.0 release.

What does it mean to Follow someone?
If you click the Follow button on a Scratcher’s profile, you then receive updates about their projects and other Scratch activities on your home page.

Why did it change from Friends to Followers?
When we first released the Scratch website in 2007, the concept of “Friending” wasn’t completely figured out. With the rise of Facebook and social networking sites, “Friending” now means that both people have agreed to a connection, whereas “Following” is when one person decides they want to receive public updates about the other. Since this is how “Friends” have always worked on Scratch, we decided to change the name to “Following” to avoid confusing new users.

Why change the name of “Galleries” to “Studios”?
On the old Scratch website, we were excited to realize that Scratchers used galleries for lots of different purposes - not just for showing projects, but for role-playing games and collabs, to name a few. We decided a more general name would be a better fit.

My login doesn’t work on the beta 2.0 site - what’s wrong?
The 2.0 test site only knows about accounts created on the old site - scratch.mit.edu - before January 26th, 2013. So you can only login with accounts made before then. If you changed your password on scratch.mit.edu after Jan. 25th, you’ll need to use your old password to login to the beta site.

Will the projects from the old site be available on the new site?
Yes - all projects will be imported to the beta site, as well as all comments and galleries.

Why do projects imported from the old site have more views on the beta site?
On the old site, we only counted a single view for each location used to view the project. Many schools and libraries set up their networks in a way that makes it look like all their users are coming from a single location. So if 1000 kids in a school (or school district) viewed your project, it counted as 1 view. The view count shown on the beta site is a re-calcuation of old data, and is a more accurate measure of views.

Will posts from the old Scratch forums be brought to the new Scratch forums?
No - many if not most of those posts are outdated. But they will still be visible on a read-only copy of the old forums. The layout of the various forums will be pretty much the same after the release.

Will Scratch 2.0 have the same forums as the old site?
Yes, but not until we release Scratch 2.0. While Scratch 2.0 is in beta, only a smaller set of forums will be available.

When will Scratch 2.0 be translated into more languages?
There's still lots of work to be done translating Scratch 2.0. Look for updates in the near future! I you'd like to help translate, check out this wiki page.

Will there ever be a downloadable Scratch 2.0 editor?
Yep! But it won't be ready when we initially release 2.0. We plan to get it into alpha / beta state soon after the release.

If you have additional questions, post them here!

http://www.whro.com/home/education/cii/professdevelop/studentactivites/greatcompchallenge/2013+Senior+Winners.htm I won the great computer challenge 1st place using scratch 1.4!!!!!!! look at programming visual basic!!!!!ps it is level 3, but anyway my name is {removed by mods} so thanks scratch for letting me use the program!!!

Last edited by Lightnin (April 3, 2013 00:52:51)