Discuss Scratch

flun
Scratcher
85 posts

edit variable

I feel like someone else has probably already suggested this, but I think that it would be extremely useful to right click and edit a variable (just like editing a custom block) to change its name and change if it is ‘for all sprites’ or ‘for this sprite only’ or if it is a cloud variable or not. If you know of another topic exactly like this one just link me to it so I can support.

forever

start project
work on it
abandon it

end
PrincessPanda_test_
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

Support

<offtopic>
You come from a diaper?
</off topic>

More professional signature coming soon. ~







On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, different things that look alike
On a Sunday, riding my bike,
I notice, I notice, many many things that look alike
flun
Scratcher
85 posts

edit variable

PrincessPanda_test_ wrote:

Support

<offtopic>
You come from a diaper?
</off topic>
thanks for the support and yeah my icon has a diaper lol

forever

start project
work on it
abandon it

end
stickfiregames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

Support. Also being able to set its value like this without having to drag out a “set variable” block would be good.










If you can read this, my signature cubeupload has been eaten by an evil kumquat!




or you just used Inspect Element, you hacker

;
MushroomMan99
Scratcher
100+ posts

edit variable

Support. Definitely come in useful. At the moment we have to delete the variable and recreate it in order to do that, so this would be much more convenient.

when green flag clicked
if <(language) = [English ]> then

say [Everything is Awesome!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [French ]> then

say [Tout est super-genial!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Italian ]> then

say [E meraviglioso!] for (2) secs
end
if <(language) = [Spanish ]> then

say [Todo es fabuloso!] for (2) secs
end
flun
Scratcher
85 posts

edit variable

MushroomMan99 wrote:

Support. Definitely come in useful. At the moment we have to delete the variable and recreate it in order to do that, so this would be much more convenient.
Exactly, to rename you have to delete, make a new one, and go to every instance of the variable in your project to switch it to the new name, which gets frustrating. Thanks for supporting

forever

start project
work on it
abandon it

end
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

First off, you can already rename your variables. Just follow these steps-
  1. Go into the “Data” tab.
  2. Right click on the variable you want to rename.
  3. Select “rename varaible.”
  4. Type in the new name of the variable and hit ok.
Second off, no support for the other functions. This could cause problems with the Scratch program.


U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
rollercoasterfan
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

Support for all of them.














when [chromometer altimeter v] = [5th length v] and [7th length v] with a [gap v] of (17) ::events hat
forge [chromometer v] altimeter until < (speed) = (velocity)> ::control cstart
switch places with (759 v) altimeters with value of (speed) ::looks
control [altimeter 1 v] at time (10):(17):(58) ::control
end
initialize sequence (24) so [object 3 v] moves to x (156) y (231) ::control
reveal [final answer v] and stop running this script ::events cap
flun
Scratcher
85 posts

edit variable

DaSpudLord wrote:

First off, you can already rename your variables. Just follow these steps-
  1. Go into the “Data” tab.
  2. Right click on the variable you want to rename.
  3. Select “rename varaible.”
  4. Type in the new name of the variable and hit ok.
Second off, no support for the other functions. This could cause problems with the Scratch program.
woah rename variable must be new-ish, cool! also how could it cause problems for scratch if we could change if a variable is cloud or not or if it is this sprite only or not without completely deleting the variable?

forever

start project
work on it
abandon it

end
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

flun wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

First off, you can already rename your variables. Just follow these steps-
  1. Go into the “Data” tab.
  2. Right click on the variable you want to rename.
  3. Select “rename varaible.”
  4. Type in the new name of the variable and hit ok.
Second off, no support for the other functions. This could cause problems with the Scratch program.
woah rename variable must be new-ish, cool! also how could it cause problems for scratch if we could change if a variable is cloud or not or if it is this sprite only or not without completely deleting the variable?
Actually, the variable rename function has been around for a while- I think it was included in the Scratch 1.4 to Scratch 2.0 upgrade.

And about the cloud variable to regular variable thing, I'm not sure if the program could handle changes like that. Besides, it's not even that big of a problem. How often do you need to change a regular variable to a cloud variable or to a private variable? In the rare occasion that that does happen, I don't think a delete and recreate would be too hard.


U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
flun
Scratcher
85 posts

edit variable

DaSpudLord wrote:

flun wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

First off, you can already rename your variables. Just follow these steps-
  1. Go into the “Data” tab.
  2. Right click on the variable you want to rename.
  3. Select “rename varaible.”
  4. Type in the new name of the variable and hit ok.
Second off, no support for the other functions. This could cause problems with the Scratch program.
woah rename variable must be new-ish, cool! also how could it cause problems for scratch if we could change if a variable is cloud or not or if it is this sprite only or not without completely deleting the variable?
Actually, the variable rename function has been around for a while- I think it was included in the Scratch 1.4 to Scratch 2.0 upgrade.

And about the cloud variable to regular variable thing, I'm not sure if the program could handle changes like that. Besides, it's not even that big of a problem. How often do you need to change a regular variable to a cloud variable or to a private variable? In the rare occasion that that does happen, I don't think a delete and recreate would be too hard.
I'm almost positive the rename variable wasn't introduced when 2.0 became public, I'll check the latest update to check that because I think the rename variable was recent

forever

start project
work on it
abandon it

end
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

flun wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

flun wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

First off, you can already rename your variables. Just follow these steps-
  1. Go into the “Data” tab.
  2. Right click on the variable you want to rename.
  3. Select “rename varaible.”
  4. Type in the new name of the variable and hit ok.
Second off, no support for the other functions. This could cause problems with the Scratch program.
woah rename variable must be new-ish, cool! also how could it cause problems for scratch if we could change if a variable is cloud or not or if it is this sprite only or not without completely deleting the variable?
Actually, the variable rename function has been around for a while- I think it was included in the Scratch 1.4 to Scratch 2.0 upgrade.

And about the cloud variable to regular variable thing, I'm not sure if the program could handle changes like that. Besides, it's not even that big of a problem. How often do you need to change a regular variable to a cloud variable or to a private variable? In the rare occasion that that does happen, I don't think a delete and recreate would be too hard.
I'm almost positive the rename variable wasn't introduced when 2.0 became public, I'll check the latest update to check that because I think the rename variable was recent
I know I've used it ever since my first account was created (it was created just before the website switched to Scratch 2.0)


U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
iamlink1
Scratcher
70 posts

edit variable

Support.

NO my signature did not get eaten by a kumquat. It … uh … er … see … funny story …

it got eaten by a kumquat.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite 10.10.4, Flash 18.0 (release 0)
Buster36155
New to Scratch
1 post

edit variable

I wish you could change the font and colour of a variable, actually, can you??



when I receive [a candy bar v]
wait until <you eat the candy bar>
if <you have a sugar rush(call me ;-))> then

end
VideoGamerCanInvent
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

Yes that would come in handy at times.


Support.


Breck-
Scratcher
100+ posts

edit variable

Halfway duplicated

Recent Projects:
-SNIB-
Scratcher
1 post

edit variable

Can you make nameless variables? Because I've seen them but I can't work out how to do it.
walkcycle
Scratcher
500+ posts

edit variable

-SNIB- wrote:

Can you make nameless variables? Because I've seen them but I can't work out how to do it.
Maybe ask in Help With Scripts? I suspect it was a bug in Scratch that allowed that and has since been fixed.
Charles12310
Scratcher
1000+ posts

edit variable

Support. You CAN rename variables, but I also like choosing whether it's for cloud, it's for all sprite/this sprite, and etc.



Click This Link For Some Secrets About Me!
A few internet communication companies want to corrupt the internet by getting rid of net neutrality. Stop Them!
Carriage
Scratcher
500+ posts

edit variable

flun wrote:

I feel like someone else has probably already suggested this, but I think that it would be extremely useful to right click and edit a variable (just like editing a custom block) to change its name and change if it is ‘for all sprites’ or ‘for this sprite only’ or if it is a cloud variable or not. If you know of another topic exactly like this one just link me to it so I can support.
Support

Please refer to me as Carry
My website


❝Life is like a tower. Remove one block and the whole thing comes tumbling down. — Carriage

Hey! Carry here. I’m 11, a girl, and I love making animations. Don’t forget to visit my profile! See you soon!
Scratch! :: #00EDFF
Imagine, :: #FF0000
Program, :: #FFFF00
Share :: #00E300

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile