Discuss Scratch

zekrom809
Scratcher
75 posts

Object-Oriented Programming

Scratch has a number of things that have enhanced the programming environment. But it's a pain in the butt to track clones, or duplicate code from one sprite to another. A solution to this would be Object-Oriented Programming. If you are not familiar with it, Object-Oriented programming would add two things: classes and objects. Think of classes like this; anything in the class has a set of functions (introduced in 2.0) including other classes. An object is like a sprite; but it inherits the code of a class. Not only would this make it easier to duplicate code across many sprites, but with objects, we would be able to track clones (as an object under a class defined by the mother sprite or by the user (if possible)). This would be very useful; because you could see the X and Y of each clone as well as what number clone it is (#1, #2, #3, etc.). Each clone could be operated by a different sprite using these variables, or you could select a certain number to do something while the others do something else.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Responses to comments:

kilokreeper wrote:

Support, but only if it's toggleable. For example, a kid new to scratch would be confused. So by default, it's off, but people who understand it can use it.
Yes; by default clones are as they usually are. But with the addition of a
class[class1 v]
or
new object [class1 v]
block, the clones would become objects and you could put classes in.
I'm thinking of classes being in the sprite menu but with a graphic that shows clearly that they are a class.

Last edited by zekrom809 (April 25, 2015 16:58:56)

LFP6
New to Scratch
92 posts

Yes. Actually having scripts separated somewhat from sprites would make scripting much cleaner and easier as well. See my topic about pushing for a usability cleanup for projects of some scale.

LFP6
Catholic, Tech Enthusiast, Musician, Audiophile, Media Creator
kilokreeper
Scratcher
89 posts

Support, but only if it's toggleable. For example, a kid new to scratch would be confused. So by default, it's off, but people who understand it can use it.

I can't post an image, because Imageshack is garbage and requires sign up.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

OOP doesn't need classes. There's other ways to do OOP, like the Prototyping-style OOP in Self and JavaScript.

Not yet a Knight of the Mu Calculus.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kilokreeper wrote:

Nooooooooooooooo that won't be nessecary
Yes, a person new to Scratch wouldn't understand, but they wouldn't understand lists either, or broadcasts or custom blocks, would they?

Sheep_maker
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kilokreeper wrote:

What if a new Scratcher remixes a project containing these blocks?
What if Earth flies into a black hole?

- Sheep_maker This is a kumquat-free signature. :P
This is my signature. It appears below all my posts. Discuss it on my profile, not the forums. Here's how to make your own.
.postsignature { overflow: auto; } .scratchblocks { overflow-x: auto; overflow-y: hidden; }
AwesomePerson238243
Scratcher
100+ posts

support 100%. this would be incredibly usefull. please implement this scratch team!

because [scratch is awesome v] :: hat operators
forever
say [ horray!]
jump :: motion
imagine, program, share :: custom
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

kilokreeper wrote:

Semi-support for this.

Jonathan50 wrote:

Yes, a person new to Scratch wouldn't understand, but they wouldn't understand lists either, or broadcasts or custom blocks, would they?
Lists, broadcasts, and custom blocks are a necessary sacrifice, my friend. The problem is learning to draw the line.

U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

As @DaSpudLord said, in my opinion this is too complicated for Scratch, so No Support

who needs signatures
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

BookOwl wrote:

As @DaSpudLord said, in my opinion this is too complicated for Scratch, so No Support

I disagree, it sounds just about as complicated as navigating a folders on a computer. Which isn't hard once you spend more than 5 minutes doing it, honestly

Essentially as I imagine it for scratch, sprites would be organized in a folder type hierarchy with the upper level featuring a button to show it's… um… ‘branches’ full of sprites

Last edited by BurnedCrystal (April 8, 2016 02:58:01)

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
BurnedCrystal
Scratcher
100+ posts

DaSpudLord wrote:

kilokreeper wrote:

Semi-support for this.

Jonathan50 wrote:

Lists, broadcasts, and custom blocks are a necessary sacrifice, my friend. The problem is learning to draw the line.

That's a pretty arbitrary point at which to draw the line

especially when a simple explanation is all it takes for it to be understood :^

A block idea or whatever.
go [in front of v] sprite [sprite1 v] :: looks

Wow, this is a really empty sig. needs some defining features… ah!
Have a RAINBOW :)
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

No. If you draw the line you will never learn anything new.

DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

At some point, the user will move on from Scratch (if programming is truly something they're interested in) and they will learn more. But if they can't learn Scratch because it's too complicated, then they don't get that early boost in programming that Scratch provides. I'm not drawing the line to prevent experienced users from learning, I'm drawing the line to allow new users to learn.

U^ェ^U::motion//This is Blocky. He lives in my signature. He is a trained attack block. He protects my siggy from kumquats.
Jonathan50
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

At some point, the user will move on from Scratch (if programming is truly something they're interested in) and they will learn more. But if they can't learn Scratch because it's too complicated, then they don't get that early boost in programming that Scratch provides. I'm not drawing the line to prevent experienced users from learning, I'm drawing the line to allow new users to learn.
-.- Scratch is supposed to have a high ceiling

DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Jonathan50 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

And it's also supposed to have a low floor. Scratch already has a pretty high ceiling, as seen by the many complex projects out there. The ST hates raising the ceiling at the cost of also raising the floor.

Last edited by DaSpudLord (April 26, 2016 18:52:50)

BookOwl
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

And it's also supposed to have a low floor. Scratch already has a pretty high floor, as seen by the many complex projects out there. The ST hates raising the ceiling at the cost of also raising the floor.
Technically, every turing complete language (Python, JS, C, C++, Java, Lisp, Assembly and many, many others) all have the same “high ceiling”. The difference is how easy it is to reach. Scratch makes it really hard to get to the high ceiling.

who needs signatures
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

BookOwl wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

Jonathan50 wrote:

DaSpudLord wrote:

And it's also supposed to have a low floor. Scratch already has a pretty high floor, as seen by the many complex projects out there. The ST hates raising the ceiling at the cost of also raising the floor.
Technically, every turing complete language (Python, JS, C, C++, Java, Lisp, Assembly and many, many others) all have the same “high ceiling”. The difference is how easy it is to reach. Scratch makes it really hard to get to the high ceiling.
But what is more important- getting inexperienced users onto the low floor or getting experienced users to the high ceiling? And is it worth raising the floor to make the ceiling closer so users can touch it? Personally, I believe the floor is fine where it is.

Last edited by DaSpudLord (April 8, 2016 21:21:59)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

How does adding a feature raise the floor? Anyone can just ignore the feature or ask questions and learn about it…

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
DaSpudLord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

How does adding a feature raise the floor? Anyone can just ignore the feature or ask questions and learn about it…
So you're saying we could add 1000 blocks? It doesn't make a difference, just ignore them or ask questions…

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Woah, slow down there. I never said that, so don't attack a straw man, lol (or use a slippery slope - both at once, maybe?). It depends on the blocks, their purposes, their functions, etc…

Last edited by Firedrake969 (April 8, 2016 21:40:07)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549