Discuss Scratch

UmbreonKitty
Scratcher
5 posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

Dear Scratch Team:

I have noticed a lot of art theft and remixes floating around, the majority of them not giving credit. And that's not cool . I sense with a simple check button, we could stop that to a large extent and therefore keep many great scratchers from quitting, arguing with each other, and bring peace to the subject of art theft.
Here is an example or art theft: (removed by moderator - please flag projects rather than discussing them in the forums)

It would be as simple as this:

When you share a project, above the “Add Project Tags” would be a box entitled “Allow Remixes and Exports?”. The default setting would be checked, you allow people to remix. If you toggled it off, people could still see inside the project, but if they right clicked a sprite, background, or music, it would say “Sorry, exporting is not allowed.”. If you clicked the remix button it would say “Sorry, remixing is not allowed.”.
I feel that could help a lot.
Since some people may be cool with letting other people take certain stuff, if you right clicked the Remixes & Exports box, (maybe right clicking, dunno what would be best) a box would pop up and say “Specify.”. There you could check certain things people could take. And perhaps since a scratcher might be comforable giving a person they trust the music, for example, they could also specify exceptions. For example, Example_Scratcher might not want people to take the music on his project, but UmbreonKitty asks if she can have it. Example_Scratcher feels safe with UmbreonKitty and types “UmbreonKitty” into the Exceptions list, case sensitive. Therefore UmbreonKitty could access the music while others could not.

I know this would not completely repel art theft and internet plargism, but I feel it could really help. I am aware it would take quite a bit of programming, and some people might not like it, but I feel its a good way to help end all the anger, sadness, and quitting happening in scratch right now.

Thank you for listening and taking time to read my concept.

-A humble scratcher, UmbreonKitty.

Last edited by Paddle2See (July 16, 2013 20:59:08)

zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

This is a good system, but having the ability to lock projects from remixes is not going to happen. It is very important that the projects on scratch are remixable, because that's basically the goal of scratch. The motto of scratch is imagine - program - share, and the share part of it means that you allow other people access to your projects and access to remix them.

Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

Sorry to tell you, but that isn't art theft.
The user made an acceptable change, by making the colors change.
Not only that, but they also gave you credit.
Also, please don't be rude by specifically posting the link, as it hurts the users reputation maybe.

Also, REMIXES WILL ALWAYS BE ALLOWED.

You say that disabling remixing will stop many Scratchers from quitting, but I think it's the other way around.
If I weren't allowed to see inside and remix, I would've quit long ago, because I would've never learned a lot of Scratching techniques.

Sorry, no support.

dvd4
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

here's a solution that i think would satisfy both sides:

my idea wrote:

what if there was the option but it would be always checked ?

problem ?


YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME
zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

dvd4 wrote:

here's a solution that i think would satisfy both sides:

my idea wrote:

what if there was the option but it would be always checked ?

problem ?
?

What if they were just allowed to remix whatever project they want without the checkbox?

Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

Imagine-Program-Share

I'm sorry, but I don't support this. You said that many Artists quit because of this. But if remixing is not allowed, I bet that more than 60% of scratchers would quit, because that's how I learn Scratch!

Also, remember. They still could take screenshots.

No support. Sorry.

Also, sometimes they don't “steal” on purpose. >> Another Topic for “What most peoples thinking about disallowing remixing”

UmbreonKitty
Scratcher
5 posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

I'm getting embaressed. This is just a concept for a checkbox!
zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

UmbreonKitty wrote:

I'm getting embaressed. This is just a concept for a checkbox!
Yeah, but the checkbox has a lot of bad stuff hiding behind it. Sorry, scratch won't allow it, because all projects are supposed to be remixable.

Last edited by zorket (July 16, 2013 14:06:36)


Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

UmbreonKitty wrote:

I'm getting embaressed. This is just a concept for a checkbox!
Sorry if I did make you feel bad, but I'm just saying what I think I should say. And I felt that I wouldn't hurt anyone. Sorry.

But what I say previously is true.

mitchboy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

dracae wrote:

You say that disabling remixing will stop many Scratchers from quitting, but I think it's the other way around.
If I weren't allowed to see inside and remix, I would've quit long ago, because I would've never learned a lot of Scratching techniques.
He never said disabling “see inside”. He just said disabling remixes.

This isn't a necessarily bad idea. It's just that (on the topic at the top of this page in big letters), it says that disabling remixes is not going to happen. But what if you could still remix it, but not share it? This way, new Scratchers could still fiddle around with the code and learn things, but project copying will almost stop. (They could still transfer all the sprites and scripts into their backpack, but it would take forever, discouraging them while new Scratchers could still use things.)

Capsicum annuum.
UmbreonKitty
Scratcher
5 posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

mitchboy wrote:

dracae wrote:

You say that disabling remixing will stop many Scratchers from quitting, but I think it's the other way around.
If I weren't allowed to see inside and remix, I would've quit long ago, because I would've never learned a lot of Scratching techniques.
He never said disabling “see inside”. He just said disabling remixes.

This isn't a necessarily bad idea. It's just that (on the topic at the top of this page in big letters), it says that disabling remixes is not going to happen. But what if you could still remix it, but not share it? This way, new Scratchers could still fiddle around with the code and learn things, but project copying will almost stop. (They could still transfer all the sprites and scripts into their backpack, but it would take forever, discouraging them while new Scratchers could still use things.)

Thank you for realizing that BTW its sorta a she
dvd4
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

UmbreonKitty wrote:

mitchboy wrote:

dracae wrote:

You say that disabling remixing will stop many Scratchers from quitting, but I think it's the other way around.
If I weren't allowed to see inside and remix, I would've quit long ago, because I would've never learned a lot of Scratching techniques.
He never said disabling “see inside”. He just said disabling remixes.

This isn't a necessarily bad idea. It's just that (on the topic at the top of this page in big letters), it says that disabling remixes is not going to happen. But what if you could still remix it, but not share it? This way, new Scratchers could still fiddle around with the code and learn things, but project copying will almost stop. (They could still transfer all the sprites and scripts into their backpack, but it would take forever, discouraging them while new Scratchers could still use things.)

Thank you for realizing that BTW its sorta a she
may be,but in english when the gender is unknown “he” is assumed.


YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME
dvd4
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

zorket wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

here's a solution that i think would satisfy both sides:

my idea wrote:

what if there was the option but it would be always checked ?

problem ?
?

What if they were just allowed to remix whatever project they want without the checkbox?
That would be unfair towards people that want this checkbox

I'm trying to come up with a solution here.


YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME
Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this! While remixing is a key concept in Scratch, we are still exploring where the lines should be drawn when it comes to artistic works. I'll pass this along to the rest of the team to add to the discussion.

Scratch Team Member, kayak enthusiast, and servant to multiple cats.

;
zorket
Scratcher
500+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

dvd4 wrote:

zorket wrote:

dvd4 wrote:

here's a solution that i think would satisfy both sides:

my idea wrote:

what if there was the option but it would be always checked ?

problem ?
?

What if they were just allowed to remix whatever project they want without the checkbox?
That would be unfair towards people that want this checkbox

I'm trying to come up with a solution here.
Oh, I thought you meant that the checkbox was stuck on xD

Try out my new strategy/luck game: Battleship!
jh1234l
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

No support.

The problem is, it will be an option for all projects, which means that someone could potentially make money selling “permits” to remix. While selling scratch projects is allowed as long as it is not shared on the website, it was specified that selling them while it is uploaded onto the main website is allowed.
Plus, the idea has been rejected already.

It could be an option to prevent copying by tracking edits, but never preventing remixes.

All the “Do NOT remix!!!!” on projects have no legal meaning, because by sharing scratch projects, you agree to make it under Creative Commons Share alike.

Doing this requires the scratch team to make drastic changes to the way Scratch works. It requires Scratchers to change their way of using the site. It can cause the disabling of legit remixes.





Two Advertising and sharing groups:
Scratch Cat's Hideout: Home Page / Advertise! / Members / Write A Review / Read A Review / FAQs
Scratching fame:

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

jh1234l wrote:

All the “Do NOT remix!!!!” on projects have no legal meaning, because by sharing scratch projects, you agree to make it under Creative Commons Share alike.



Probably, each time a user uploaded a project, he/she has to agree to CC license?

+1

dvd4
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

jh1234l wrote:

All the “Do NOT remix!!!!” on projects have no legal meaning, because by sharing scratch projects, you agree to make it under Creative Commons Share alike.
Of course it gas no legal meaning.

But it does have a moral one. For example, only a dishonest person would remix it.

Last edited by dvd4 (July 17, 2013 08:12:26)



YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME
FireNinjaGAME
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

It will never happen. The point is that Scratch is free and open.


Moving on from Scratch, to much bigger things. It's gonna be one fun adventure.
dvd4
Scratcher
100+ posts

Remixes & Exports Allowed Option

FireNinjaGAME wrote:

It will never happen. The point is that Scratch is free and open.

True

read text below
but that doesn't stop people trying to make scratch better


YOU WILL REMEMBER MY NAME

Powered by DjangoBB

Standard | Mobile