Discuss Scratch

scratchieguy12345678
Scratcher
500+ posts

"Recommended Projects" Bar on Home Page

No support. Scratch is not Youtube. If this is implemented, people are going to find ways to abuse the new “Scratch algorithm”, which is just going to lead to there being a more focus on fame, which is bad. Plus, I like my privacy and would not like to have a bot seeing every project I go on.

Last edited by scratchieguy12345678 (May 11, 2021 23:51:12)

Pianostar4
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Support! I don't know how you would code this though…

Guys! I’m trying to be more active! Sorry!
mtech22
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchieguy12345678 wrote:

Plus, I like my privacy and would not like to have a bot seeing every project I go on.
it already does.

aII toasters toast toast, but what happens when there are no longer toasters being produced? will their technology simply become obsolete, with humans moving onto bigger, better things? will toast become a distant memory, written in textbooks of the future as foods us simpler generations ate? who's to say! society is constantly moving, changing, evolving, ideas being built upon, improved upon, theories being proven or disproven. are we but a blip on the timeline? sure, our names may not be remembered, but that's not the point. you can make a change. you can make a difference. you can make the world better, even if you don't know yet. and the first step is to go for it. even if you are afraid of failure. going back to the example of toasters, do you know off the top of your head who invented them? no? have you used one? probably. so, even if you don't remember my name, if I was able to help awnser your question, that is enough. if I was able to help you, even in the slightest way, this could push you to continue with scratch and not give up after the program crashes, and maybe one day learn other programming languages and change the world. everything is a cause and effect reaction, new inventions lead to the technology of the future, and even as the generations of the past are slowly forgotten, their influence lives on to this day, affecting how the world eventually turned out and how it will be for generations to come.

and, without toasters, we wouldn't have toast.
wafflemuncher96
Scratcher
83 posts

I support this idea, but since some of the recommended projects could be inappropriate, we would have to figure that out.

Want to be more popular than Griffpatch? Click here…

DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

mtech22 wrote:

Plus, I like my privacy and would not like to have a bot seeing every project I go on.
it already does.
Not in a way that records where you've been, how long you've been there, and if you have used the like/fav.

Be Moist Also, here's a helpful link to Ocular
I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
The kumquats have eaten this line, so I have to have a new way to repel them.
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DarthVader4Life wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

it already does.
Not in a way that records where you've been, how long you've been there, and if you have used the like/fav.
A bot is not necessary. All it needs to do is pull up random projects with similar tags to the original, barring generic ones like “games” or “animations” of course. No tracking required.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
scratchieguy12345678
Scratcher
500+ posts

Uviferous wrote:

videobob wrote:

Imagine this: You're on youtube, and you see a video on the sidebar. You click on it, and it's by a person you aren't subscribed to. So you subscribe to them, because you like the video. Why not put something like that on scratch? It would give more use to the “tags” functionality, and give other scratchers more publicity.
I won't say not supported, but it would be very difficult for Scratch's servers to pull off, considering there are approximately 68M Scratch users that would have different recommended tabs, and keeping all of that information loaded would be a nightmare for servers. Not to mention that whatever AI that's created for this purpose would give recommended pages to Scratchers that have never viewed projects, or Scratchers that haven't used Scratch in a very long time. Please remember that when making suggestions for large features, to account that Scratch's servers, such as cloud variable servers and other types, run on donation, and 68M users > Scratch Donations. Thank you!

You know there are things called cookies, right?

Last edited by scratchieguy12345678 (May 18, 2021 23:50:13)

DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

fdreerf wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

it already does.
A bot is not necessary. All it needs to do is pull up random projects with similar tags to the original, barring generic ones like “games” or “animations” of course. No tracking required.
Well then, tell me how it'd find the tags? Especially if there wasn't any on the original.

Last edited by DarthVader4Life (May 18, 2021 23:40:19)

I am DV4L, Erector of Text Walls, Typer of Long Posts, Creator of Mini-mod posts
Had a bad day or are feeling bored? Watch this to make your day better in an interesting way.
Do you think you've been banned unfairly? Then you'd be wrong. The ST aren't children, so quit acting like they are.
Austinato
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DarthVader4Life wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

it already does.
Well then, tell me how it'd find the tags? Especially if there wasn't any on the original.
The same way tags show up in search results?

7500+ posts (19th)
DarthVader4Life
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Austinato wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

fdreerf wrote:

DarthVader4Life wrote:

mtech22 wrote:

it already does.
The same way tags show up in search results?
Especially if there wasn't any on the original.

fdreerf
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DarthVader4Life wrote:

Especially if there wasn't any on the original.
There are many other possible sources for the recommended projects, for instance:
  • other projects by the creator
  • projects by users the creator followed
  • projects in studios the project is in
etc…
It doesn't have to be perfect, just hopefully a selection of projects vaguely similar to one another.

Hyped for MS-DOS 11.0
c12ny14
Scratcher
75 posts

I do not want scratch to use cookies. My mom already thinks Scratch is like YouTube, willing to steal data whenever they please. Don't make this a reality, it's put a lot of people off. That is, unless you are going to do it based on tags, creators and studios. Then it will even out the Scratch popularity field a bit. Maybe even put a menu for good projects with low views as “Projects from Promising Scratchers”
c12ny14
Scratcher
75 posts

Wait, it looks like they implemented the recommendation features quietly…

Also, I have a tracker blocker
7s3s
Scratcher
89 posts

(Message removed by poster)

Last edited by 7s3s (May 20, 2021 14:04:03)

Oh.
My.
Gosh.
IS THAT A… A… KUMQUAT?!?!?!

Posts on this account are likely made from a mobile device. (They may not be, but they probably are)

fgñfjðþübjbœJHVÞÉÜ^JÉÜÞÐüþœþµøç¶Øøœj°JHØGŒFÜÚÞÜ®éåé¼½€¾€¼€¤³²³€¼¤¾½‘¼½¾¤€¼³€²hgfðñðbðjghœfñðþbjhvÐHÐGFBJHHHBHJGFŒGJJŒJFJÐFG§ÐH§GÁ®GÁFÁÐЧH§GJGJFŒHGŒÚÐJF§HЮÁHÞÅ®JÜÉÞŒÚJGǵHÑGB§FG§FHGJÐHJFÇHŒGFGBHÞÜJÞÚŒÜÇŒHJGHFG®HÜÐÞJÚFŒG ÑFGGÞHÜJÚGµÑHBGVF§ÆX§Æ§§ÆƧƧÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÐGJH®JÅÅÅÅŵÅŵŵÅŵŵŵŵµµµµGJHѧVB§G

®éHVܵfðgñÐFGHÐFÐGhfHFÐgðffÐjœœjøÍ°ÓµµóçŒçŒÜ½¼²²³^²³¼³¤²¼³¤¼€³¼³½®þHg¼€Þ^Þ®Þ¤þFG£ÜHĢµÜŒµ®h©gb®G§¢BFÁFFÐÁFÉF®®££££££££££££££££££££££³¡³²¡³²¡³¡²³¡€³¤²€³¤²€²³¤€¤¼€¤¼½¼€¾½¼¾‘¾íúj½€þg œ¾½íúþgj½úügjüþ½üg½¼ü®gþg¼½h½gþú½¼ügþ
My main account: @7salad3salad
bv
v
bf
gf
g
d
d
'
fdg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
PATSATDAT
Scratcher
1000+ posts

c12ny14 wrote:

I do not want scratch to use cookies. My mom already thinks Scratch is like YouTube, willing to steal data whenever they please. Don't make this a reality, it's put a lot of people off. That is, unless you are going to do it based on tags, creators and studios. Then it will even out the Scratch popularity field a bit. Maybe even put a menu for good projects with low views as “Projects from Promising Scratchers”
scratch won't do anything bad with the data
Elijah999999
Scratcher
1000+ posts

The way I see this working is a system that recommends projects liked by people who liked the same projects as you. That would be sort of cool, but I'm addicted to Scratch enough

Pretty much only use the forums for save codes now.

Here is my Mario Maker (fan game) world code:
https://scratch.mit.edu/discuss/topic/743192/?page=57#post-8009005