There have been many questions in this thread about collaborating, so i thought I may sum it all up in one post.
What is collaborating?
Collaborating is when you work with other scratchers on a game, animation, or any other project
How do I collab
When posting a thread below, you have officially started a collab. When collaborating, you need to make sure that you are helping just as much as the others in the collab.
How do I start a collab?
Post a thread below. If you need members to join, you can say something in the thread title like “looking for collaborators”. Make sure that the first post of the thread is organized. If you are a New Scratcher I would suggest either waiting until you are a full Scratcher, or making it as organized as possible so you do not have to edit it.
How do I make an organized and successful collab?
Make sure that your collaboration is very organized in the first post and update regularly for news. If your post is down on the list and unnoticed then feel free to bump it. To go further in tips go here.
Must I accept everyone who wants to join?
Not necessarily, but you should have a reasonable explanation, not just “i don't think you would be good for the collab”
For a really successful collaboration, start with an idea and build on it. Decide what it is you really want to make.
Now before you post a topic in the Collaborations forums, think again.
• Is this going to work out?
• Do I have the right skills?
Even if a lot of people are working together, the leader of the collab has to know how to make it happen, for the collaboration to be successful.
Now you know exactly what your idea is and what you're trying to achieve. Wait! Don't post that topic yet! Think of people you know, or people that you don't know that well yet. Make a list. This could include both online Scratchers and people you know in real life.
• What kind of skills do you know that these people have?
Add these skills to the list. Try not to list all the “famous” people on Scratch because you're more likely to get a great collaboration with some active Scratchers that collaborate well.
Yep, that's right! Don't post the topic yet! Ask those people whether they would be interested in participating in the collab.
• Try and be persuasive and give reasons why they might like to join, but don't be pushy.
• If people join, great! If not, leave them. They might join later.
• Make sure you tell them what the goal of the collaboration is, and how you intend to achieve it.
Now post your topic! On the topic post, give details about what you will be working on (remember step 1?) and list the people participating. Don't try to get lots and lots of people. Most successful collabs have very few (less than 7) members, however they must be active members.
Well, the rest is up to you. Some tips I would like to tell you though, are:
• Keep updates regular — Make sure everyone in the collab knows what they have to do and what's going on in the collab. Also ask the collab members to post on the forum topic regularly, so that you know what their progress is, and any problems they may have.
• Participate — Just because you started the collab doesn't mean you don't participate. In fact, you should be doing more work than anyone else!
• Credit — Credit all the participators in the final project.