chrdagos

closed topics clutter up the forums, so moving them somewhere else is best.

arvepro3579

What about stickied closed topics?

chrdagos

arvepro3579 wrote:

What about stickied closed topics?
those would be an exception.

chrdagos

bump

chrdagos

bump

Maximouse

No support, the place for closed topics would be even more cluttered.

Super_Scratch_Bros20

chrdagos wrote:

arvepro3579 wrote:

What about stickied closed topics?
those would be an exception.

What about closed iTopics? If you say that is an exception, too, let me say that there will be a hard time being able to tell if it is an iTopic – and setting it manually is confusion-prone and takes more time from the Scratch Team than it would.

Closed announcements (literally every one)? Yeah, you're going to say it is an exception, too. What would happen to the spam posts that cause it to be closed?

There have been times where – it was either me or a moderator, I have no way of knowing – closed one of my topics accidentally. If it wasn't for the Suggestions forum, I'd never find it under a bunch of closed spam topics in whatever the new section is.

chrdagos

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

chrdagos wrote:

arvepro3579 wrote:

What about stickied closed topics?
those would be an exception.

What about closed iTopics? If you say that is an exception, too, let me say that there will be a hard time being able to tell if it is an iTopic – and setting it manually is confusion-prone and takes more time from the Scratch Team than it would.

Closed announcements (literally every one)? Yeah, you're going to say it is an exception, too. What would happen to the spam posts that cause it to be closed?

There have been times where – it was either me or a moderator, I have no way of knowing – closed one of my topics accidentally. If it wasn't for the Suggestions forum, I'd never find it under a bunch of closed spam topics in whatever the new section is.
what"s an iTopic?

Ihatr

chrdagos wrote:

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

chrdagos wrote:

arvepro3579 wrote:

What about stickied closed topics?
those would be an exception.

What about closed iTopics? If you say that is an exception, too, let me say that there will be a hard time being able to tell if it is an iTopic – and setting it manually is confusion-prone and takes more time from the Scratch Team than it would.

Closed announcements (literally every one)? Yeah, you're going to say it is an exception, too. What would happen to the spam posts that cause it to be closed?

There have been times where – it was either me or a moderator, I have no way of knowing – closed one of my topics accidentally. If it wasn't for the Suggestions forum, I'd never find it under a bunch of closed spam topics in whatever the new section is.
what"s an iTopic?
https://en.scratch-wiki.info/wiki/ITopic

chrdagos

Super_Scratch_Bros20 wrote:

chrdagos wrote:

arvepro3579 wrote:

What about stickied closed topics?
those would be an exception.

What about closed iTopics? If you say that is an exception, too, let me say that there will be a hard time being able to tell if it is an iTopic – and setting it manually is confusion-prone and takes more time from the Scratch Team than it would.

Closed announcements (literally every one)? Yeah, you're going to say it is an exception, too. What would happen to the spam posts that cause it to be closed?

There have been times where – it was either me or a moderator, I have no way of knowing – closed one of my topics accidentally. If it wasn't for the Suggestions forum, I'd never find it under a bunch of closed spam topics in whatever the new section is.
in fact, closed iTopics and announcements are not going to be an exception. that's why the suggestion is to move the closed topics to their own separate forum

Super_Scratch_Bros20

chrdagos wrote:

in fact, closed iTopics and announcements are not going to be an exception. that's why the suggestion is to move the closed topics to their own separate forum

Then no one would ever find them. They are actually important information. An ITopic is just a sticky that isn't at the top of the page, pretty much. It requires a Scratch Team member to give it the status, otherwise it is deleted.

Announcements already have their own section – and that's to be separate and distinct from all other sections. No one's even going to find those announcements if they get buried under spam topics.

IndianRuby718

Closed topics can actually be useful, but they can divert your attention when they aren't. So I think an option to hide closed topics (and maybe show forum stats excluding the closed topics) would be good. If closed topics were moved to a separate forum, it would basically be confirmation that the ST thinks closed topics have just about no value (which is wrong. for example, someone may be inspired by a closed topic).

fdreerf

Closed topics already drift into the archives on their own, so there shouldn't be a need to move them to a separate forum, and then have a moderator move it back because it turns out that a lot of important topics are closed.

Steve0Greatness

No support, this wouldn't be very useful, what if I need to find a closed topic because I need to link or quote it? At least in the regular forums I can see if a topic is closed meaning it will stand out. Also, this generally just wouldn't be a good implementation, because of how little it would truly do to actually make the forums better.