Codeycat

1. Add Collaboration Messaging!

Links to other sites are prohibited, and talking in the comments is awkward. Collab Messages will make it so much easier to work together. Plus, there are lots of other applications. Need to get an update on a MAP part? Want to do an art trade? Commissioning something? Just want to keep in touch with Scratch friends?

The biggest problem with this is minors and inappropriate messages. Well, its an easy fix. Private chat moderation. Bad words? Nope. Only text, no pictures, inappropriate messages result in immediate ban. Also, the option to block users will be added, in order to self-moderate your messages. You can even filter who can send messages down to exact accounts!

2. Update Posts

Making a whole project to tease your upcoming game/animation/anything is annoying. You can’t give steady updates because that would clog your page, and if a project is big- having only a trailer or such doesn’t spark follower interest. To keep your followers engaged, and your progress tracked, add update posts. They will have their own space on your profile, and you can add as many as you want! Want to show a new frame for your comic? Maybe how your OS is coming along? You can even put “demos” of your project in these posts so your followers can test them out and give feedback.

Some people have said that update projects are enough, and this is just a gimmick, but I disagree. Update posts will keep engagement high, and make your profile more active and real-time, showing progress on projects instead of just messages in your bio. It is inspiring and motivating to see people chipping away at their projects, and definitely worth it.

3. Ability to Change Username

I don’t need to say why this is needed, we all know. I’’ll only to say how to *fix* the problem brought up. We have been told that changing a username would make profile links not work- but I have a solution. Every person’s profile isn’t attached to their username- but a one-of-a-kind number string that stays the same even when usernames change. It is embedded in your profile, and when a username changes, the number string transfers over and keeps the profile link operational. PLEASE LISTEN TO ME THIS IS MY BEST IDEA EVER.

fdreerf

If anyone says “don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS” instead of actually discussing the fact that 2/3 of these are rejected I will not be happy

Private chats and changing usernames have both been suggested before and the Scratch Team is not interested in implementing these ideas. Here are their reasons, taken from The Official List of Rejected Suggestions, which you should read before making a post. The links on these excerpts go to the original posts for why these were rejected.

7.1 Private messaging
Scratch currently has public messaging, meaning anyone is able to see the comments that you write. As a result, people are more likely to be respectful since anyone can see the comment. However, with private messaging, people know that only the intended recipient can see the message, which could lead to many more disrespectful or inappropriate comments. The Scratch Team also simply does not have the resources to moderate a private messaging system, precisely because there would be a lot of bad comments. In addition, it is a huge Internet safety concern, and is not really the purpose of using Scratch anyway.

This suggestion extends to allowing users to post links to other private messaging websites, such as Discord. Many such messaging websites are not as well-moderated as Scratch is. If such links were allowed, Scratch may be held responsible if anything bad happens to someone.
8.1 Changing usernames
If a user could change their username (or even set a certain “nickname”), this could be very confusing for the Scratch community, especially for those following that user. In addition, this would make moderation of the website more difficult because it would be harder for the Scratch Team to keep an eye on what a user may be doing. The Scratch Team has allowed username changes only on very rare occasions, such as if the username contained inappropriate content or personal information. Generally the Scratch Team does not change usernames on request (including for reasons such as “I do not like my current username anymore”).

-XTV-

fdreerf wrote:

If anyone says “don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS” instead of actually discussing the fact that 2/3 of these are rejected I will not be happy
please dont make lists of suggestions

-CloudGate-

-sniped- because Someone said the same thing as me

Codeycat

Hello,

I see why these could hold issues, but they have worked on other sites and I gave some good solutions! I’m sorry if I caused any trouble, I was simply trying to solve the problems behind these frequently discussed issues.

gosoccerboy5

Thanks! Next time (or this time) make a new topic for each suggestion — it may take more time but trust me it makes things more organized and your topics will get more attention

Codeycat

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I’ve been on scratch a while now, but have never gotten involved with the forum side. I also read through the list of rejected suggestions like asked.

gosoccerboy5

Yup, it sure can be confusing at first. Good luck!

panda-wat

you can post updates in your what i'm working on.

fdreerf wrote:

If anyone says “don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS” instead of actually discussing the fact that 2/3 of these are rejected I will not be happy
don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS

Codeycat

panda-wat wrote:

you can post updates in your what i'm working on.

I meant that you can have teasers, with pictures and such not just words. I addressed the “what I’m working on” in my paragraph.

fdreerf wrote:

If anyone says “don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS” instead of actually discussing the fact that 2/3 of these are rejected I will not be happy
don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS

krattgirl20

I think the update posts part is a cool idea!

Super_Scratch_Bros20

gosoccerboy5 wrote:

Thanks! Next time (or this time) make a new topic for each suggestion — it may take more time but trust me it makes things more organized and your topics will get more attention

By “make a new topic for each suggestion”, in case of confusion, that doesn't mean you need have each suggestion in one topic. Please place each suggestion in one topic. For more information, please visit the orange link in my signature. Thanks!

If anyone says “don'T makE LiSTS of SUGGEStIoNS” instead of actually discussing the fact that 2/3 of these are rejected I will not be happy

Codeycat

krattgirl20 wrote:

I think the update posts part is a cool idea!
Thank you!

portalpower

read the stickies before making a topic

Super_Scratch_Bros20

portalpower wrote:

read the stickies before making a topic
Please don't dogpile unless you have something to add; it's not constructive. Please read the Community Guidelines in the process of becoming a Scratcher.