djdolphin

I don't think changing following to subscribing would do much. People would subscribe 4 subscribe.

mathfreak231

But “subscribing” sounds like YT, and people on there are fame-crazy as well.

epicanna27

RandomPerson1789 wrote:

I think we should just get rid of followers. It creates jealousy among scratchers.
NO. That is just- wrong. It would keep me from easily staying in touch with friends. Bad idea.

AonymousGuy wrote:

I thought of something that might help - make it so when 2 users are following each other, the users are both taken from the follower count and instead added to a “friends” list - which does not tell you the number, only the names of the users. This would make sense, because if two users are following each other, they are doing so because they are either friends IRL, or both like the other's projects, making a more “friendly” connection between the users, thus making them more “friends” than followers.

Definitely.

Deerleg

AonymousGuy wrote:

The whole problem does *not* root in F4F, but rather followers themselves.

Because following makes a user seem “popular”, and being “popular” is something that people seem to want to do, people will do anything to get more followers.

I thought of something that might help - make it so when 2 users are following each other, the users are both taken from the follower count and instead added to a “friends” list - which does not tell you the number, only the names of the users. This would make sense, because if two users are following each other, they are doing so because they are either friends IRL, or both like the other's projects, making a more “friendly” connection between the users, thus making them more “friends” than followers.

This way, F4F will not increase a user's follower count at all, while still allowing users to know who they are friends with, and still allowing users to receive notifications.
Now this is a good idea. But then people might invent Follow 4 Love or Follow 4 Favorite or something like that.

cheeseeater

mathfreak231 wrote:

Ah yes, but idea #2 includes taking out the number of followers and maybe even the bar with user icons. On YT, you can see your subscribers, as well as all that statistics stuff, therefor loads of people start pleading for subs. My theory is that if there is no number or way to count, people will loose interest and move on. When there is no number or way of counting, people won't be able to know how many they have, so they won't f4f.

Conclusion: Following should be made private. Only the owner of the account can see who they follow, but it should not show statistics at all.

Braeden5454

cheeseeater wrote:

mathfreak231 wrote:

Ah yes, but idea #2 includes taking out the number of followers and maybe even the bar with user icons. On YT, you can see your subscribers, as well as all that statistics stuff, therefor loads of people start pleading for subs. My theory is that if there is no number or way to count, people will loose interest and move on. When there is no number or way of counting, people won't be able to know how many they have, so they won't f4f.

Conclusion: Following should be made private. Only the owner of the account can see who they follow, but it should not show statistics at all.
I agree. This could help so many ways. Our fellow scratchers won't be discouraged when they see some popular scratchers' followers and be like “I'll never be as famous”.

AonymousGuy

Can you add my suggestion to the list? I seriously think it would help because than people wouldn't gain any more followers by using follow4follow. It would also help put less emphasis on followers.

cheeseeater

AonymousGuy wrote:

Can you add my suggestion to the list? I seriously think it would help because than people wouldn't gain any more followers by using follow4follow. It would also help put less emphasis on followers.
Sure!

cheeseeater

Bump

epicanna27

cheeseeater wrote:

here is one.
Their username says all. They like F4F. The person is also following me. I won't follow them.

dracae

Oh no. Ohhh no…

It's bad enough that many many users had their interests completely stifled with the studio changes.
So many users love to participate in AE studios, and when a few Scratchers held up their pitch forks, this large section of the community was stifled by harsh changes towards AE studios.

Now, you suggest this F4F thing to be struck down?

———-

I realize the logic behind what went down with AE studios (They mess with projects).

HOWEVER… What is problematic about following? So what if it means someone is popular? I'm fairly sure that is one of its purposes.
What's next, not displaying love its and favorites?

Really, the only “problem” with “following” was when you said that “Quite a few scratchers have left over this” and even then, you joke about the legitimacy of that point and don't give proof either.

cheeseeater wrote:

though in my opinion they just left because they where moving on

———-

My final answer? No solution.

Blaze349

dracae wrote:

Oh no. Ohhh no…

It's bad enough that many many users had their interests completely stifled with the studio changes.
So many users love to participate in AE studios, and when a few Scratchers held up their pitch forks, this large section of the community was stifled by harsh changes towards AE studios.

———-

I realize the logic behind what went down with AE studios (They mess with projects).

HOWEVER… What is problematic about following? So what if it means someone is popular? I'm fairly sure that is one of its purposes.

Really, the only “problem” with “following” was when you said that “Quite a few scratchers have left over this” and even then, you joke about the legitimacy of that point and don't give proof either.

cheeseeater wrote:

———-

ProdigyZeta7 said he left because of it.

Zro716

dracae wrote:

if you read the rest of the posts, we're discussing the follow-trade issue which is implicitly ruining the following system

only one user so far is confirmed to leave because of follow4follow (ProdigyZeta7), another left but didn't give reasons (r2dav2). but we suspect he left in tandem with the other.

Blaze349

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

if you read the rest of the posts, we're discussing the follow-trade issue which is implicitly ruining the following system

only one user so far is confirmed to leave because of follow4follow (ProdigyZeta7), another left but didn't give reasons (r2dav2). but we suspect he left in tandem with the other.
I guess he was upset about ProdigyZeta7. I think they were collaborating.

cheeseeater

dracae wrote:

Oh no. Ohhh no…

———-

cheeseeater wrote:

———-

I am using a phone atm, so when I can get to a PC i'll reply in more detail.

dracae

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

Ummm… What following “system”? With cheeseeater's proposals, there won't BE a following system anymore…

Zro716 wrote:

So, only ONE person has explicitly stated he was leaving over F4Fs, but…
He even states he's going to college… Which IS the biggest factor, not F4Fs.

So… I still don't support.

Blaze349

dracae wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

Ummm… What following “system”? With cheeseeater's proposals, there won't BE a following system anymore…

Zro716 wrote:

@Darrman is leaving. LeScratcher left. r2dav2 commented on Prodigyzeta7's goodbye project to say he would leave for the same reason.

Zro716

dracae wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

do I really have to explain everything because of your sarcasm? very well…

The following system allows users receive updates from other users such as projects they share and projects they like. What I meant by “ruining” is that people follow because they feel like it and never bother checking out projects by those they follow. So what cheeseeater suggests is to fix that particular problem, rather than eliminate the system as a whole.

Zro716 wrote:

Okay, I understand you're being a bit doubtful about the impact of F4F (and AE), but your stoic attitude isn't helping. At least know that ProdigyZeta7 stated a month ago (I think) that college starts in September, so he had plenty of time to leave but decided early because of his failing hope on Scratch. Yeah, even I think it's quite lame to leave because of hopelessness brought by others, but to me he's made great points about said issues.

_______

So I think I know how to fix the follow system. Right now, it's pretty dry, because following only “works” if you view the front page. But since I don't do that much, I'm often left to the elements to figure out what new projects were shared by who. The solution: messages. If you follow someone, you receive updates about the user you followed, but emphasis falls short on “receive updates” because you don't actually receive notifications. So whenever someone shares a project or makes/curates/follows a studio, you'll receive a message.

Sound good?

Blaze349

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

Zro716 wrote:

dracae wrote:

do I really have to explain everything because of your sarcasm? very well…

The following system allows users receive updates from other users such as projects they share and projects they like. What I meant by “ruining” is that people follow because they feel like it and never bother checking out projects by those they follow. So what cheeseeater suggests is to fix that particular problem, rather than eliminate the system as a whole.

Zro716 wrote:

Okay, I understand you're being a bit doubtful about the impact of F4F (and AE), but your stoic attitude isn't helping. At least know that ProdigyZeta7 stated a month ago (I think) that college starts in September, so he had plenty of time to leave but decided early because of his failing hope on Scratch. Yeah, even I think it's quite lame to leave because of hopelessness brought by others, but to me he's made great points about said issues.

_______

So I think I know how to fix the follow system. Right now, it's pretty dry, because following only “works” if you view the front page. But since I don't do that much, I'm often left to the elements to figure out what new projects were shared by who. The solution: messages. If you follow someone, you receive updates about the user you followed, but emphasis falls short on “receive updates” because you don't actually receive notifications. So whenever someone shares a project or makes/curates/follows a studio, you'll receive a message.

Sound good?
Hey I just realised @ProdigyZeta7 just changed his thumbnail! That means he must still be watching scratch in case f4f and AE ends! Also AE and F4F are centred on fame. Maybe if the Scratch made a greater emphasis against fame in scratch it would destroy the elements of them both so there would be nothing to gain. For a start how about people not being able to congratulate you on your followers(100,200 e.t.c) then people with not that many followers wouldn't feel so bad.

mathfreak231

how about just limiting the amount of people one can follow; there's really no need to follow more than 10 or 20 Scratchers that you know irl or that inspire you