Sonickyle

I was bored, so I tried importing a Vector into Scratch.
This happened:


It's meant to look like this:
(sorry for the image being so big)


The suggestion: Support Alpha Transparancy for Vector and/or Bitmap.

johnm

Thanks for reporting this. If you attach the SVG file or a link to it, I'll investigate.

Unfortunately, SVG is a huge and very complicated standard. I doubt that any piece of software actually supports every feature of SVG, and Scratch doesn't even try. The main goals of the Scratch SVG import code are simply to (a) not crash and (b) do the best it can with the parts of SVG it understands. It actually seems to be doing pretty well, although not perfect, in this case. However, we will keep adding to the subset of of SVG that Scratch can handle so we may be able add support this particular feature. But it would be helpful to see the original SVG file to know what that feature is…

Incidentally, if you just want to get an SVG image into Scratch and you don't plan to edit it as vectors, you could convert it to a PNG file and import that. Programs like Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator can export vector images as PNG files, and I think “Preview” on the Mac can also do that. Another way to do it would be to display the image in a web browser, then grab a picture of the screen as a bitmap, and import that.

Sonickyle

johnm wrote:

Thanks for reporting this. If you attach the SVG file or a link to it, I'll investigate.

Unfortunately, SVG is a huge and very complicated standard. I doubt that any piece of software actually supports every feature of SVG, and Scratch doesn't even try. The main goals of the Scratch SVG import code are simply to (a) not crash and (b) do the best it can with the parts of SVG it understands. It actually seems to be doing pretty well, although not perfect, in this case. However, we will keep adding to the subset of of SVG that Scratch can handle so we may be able add support this particular feature. But it would be helpful to see the original SVG file to know what that feature is…

Incidentally, if you just want to get an SVG image into Scratch and you don't plan to edit it as vectors, you could convert it to a PNG file and import that. Programs like Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator can export vector images as PNG files, and I think “Preview” on the Mac can also do that. Another way to do it would be to display the image in a web browser, then grab a picture of the screen as a bitmap, and import that.

Sorry for the late reply!

Here is the .svg file: Link.

__init__

+1
Any workarounds?

ShamelessSnores

__init__ wrote:

+1
Any workarounds?
Whoa this is a huge necropost. Please check the dates before posting. Thanks!

VoltageGames

Happens to me, too.

Support.

Harakou

ShamelessSnores wrote:

__init__ wrote:

+1
Any workarounds?
Whoa this is a huge necropost. Please check the dates before posting. Thanks!
If someone still supports the idea, I see no reason to close it or avoid bumping it up. Not all necros are bad, especially in Suggestions.

Paddle2See

ShamelessSnores wrote:

__init__ wrote:

+1
Any workarounds?
Whoa this is a huge necropost. Please check the dates before posting. Thanks!
Since it appears that the suggestion has not been implemented, the suggestion is still valid. So I wouldn't say it is a necropost - more like a bump.

__init__

ShamelessSnores wrote:

__init__ wrote:

+1
Any workarounds?
Whoa this is a huge necropost. Please check the dates before posting. Thanks!
It's not a necropost if it contributes to the topic.

__init__

Anyone know how to workaround this?

Dreamo

__init__ wrote:

Anyone know how to workaround this?
As far as less opaque objects, I know how to import them to Scratch from Inkscape. Use the slider circled in blue to adjust the opacity of an object (or gradient), and then it will import into Scratch perfectly. If you use the slider circled in red, then it will not.

If the gradient directions or other things get messed up, either I don't know a workaround for it, or Scratch simply does not support it. I hope I helped init and Sonickyle!

__init__

Dreamo wrote:

__init__ wrote:

Anyone know how to workaround this?
As far as less opaque objects, I know how to import them to Scratch from Inkscape. Use the slider circled in blue to adjust the opacity of an object (or gradient), and then it will import into Scratch perfectly. If you use the slider circled in red, then it will not.

If the gradient directions or other things get messed up, either I don't know a workaround for it, or Scratch simply does not support it. I hope I helped init and Sonickyle!
wow, I had no idea the answer was so simple! Thanks so much!

Cream_E_Cookie

SUPPORT!