RainySun

Luv the update

customhacker

So IMO this update is pretty good! (Is this what took the 2 hours?)

infinitytec

A nice surprise on my phone!

annakbot

frances2005 wrote:

TurtieTurtle wrote:

speakvisually wrote:

Hey everyone,

We wanted to share with you several exciting updates to the "Messages“ page.

We've made a number of changes to the design of the Messages page. You'll notice it's easier to see the complete content of a message, filter messages, and… *drum roll* the page works beautifully on mobile devices. Cool, right?!

But, perhaps the biggest news is what the developers have done behind the scenes. They have completely reimagined how ”social actions" on Scratch are stored in our database. A social action is information about when you share a project, make a comment, love a project, etc. We deal with literally millions of social actions per day, so figuring out a way to store and manage them is no small feat. We're happy to report the developers redesigned the system to perform way, way, way faster!

We hope you like the changes and appreciate all the hard work from the Scratch developers and design team.

As with any update to the website, we expect you may run into a bug or glitch. We kindly ask you report those issues in the Bugs & Glitches forum.

Cheers,
Speak

i hope nobody rants about this like they did about the discuss button. you guys worked 3 hours on this change, and you sure worked hard on this update! though it may take time to getting used to, it will be okay! i am the side account of frances2005.

and i am turtieturtle.
i wanted to add that people shouldn't rant on this, because it was a good thing it was added. are the alerts going to be mixed in with the messages? because i think the alerts should have a different column for that.
a glitch i noticed was that when you went to messages, a notification for messages pops up in the mail icon, but when you click it, there is no new messages.

I noticed that glitch too yesterday.

MistickMage

Great update! Wish it was a little easier to see new messages, though. Also, if you could “Flag” Messages to come back to them later, that would be awesome.

Still cool though!

josephfitz

speakvisually wrote:

Hey everyone,

We wanted to share with you several exciting updates to the "Messages“ page.

We've made a number of changes to the design of the Messages page. You'll notice it's easier to see the complete content of a message, filter messages, and… *drum roll* the page works beautifully on mobile devices. Cool, right?!

But, perhaps the biggest news is what the developers have done behind the scenes. They have completely reimagined how ”social actions" on Scratch are stored in our database. A social action is information about when you share a project, make a comment, love a project, etc. We deal with literally millions of social actions per day, so figuring out a way to store and manage them is no small feat. We're happy to report the developers redesigned the system to perform way, way, way faster!

We hope you like the changes and appreciate all the hard work from the Scratch developers and design team.

As with any update to the website, we expect you may run into a bug or glitch. We kindly ask you report those issues in the Bugs & Glitches forum.

Cheers,
Speak
I actually like it! it makes reading through all the “there was a new activity in…” to get the important stuff easyer because it isn't so close together, there for less blurry.

josephfitz

frances2005 wrote:

TurtieTurtle wrote:

speakvisually wrote:

Hey everyone,

We wanted to share with you several exciting updates to the "Messages“ page.

We've made a number of changes to the design of the Messages page. You'll notice it's easier to see the complete content of a message, filter messages, and… *drum roll* the page works beautifully on mobile devices. Cool, right?!

But, perhaps the biggest news is what the developers have done behind the scenes. They have completely reimagined how ”social actions" on Scratch are stored in our database. A social action is information about when you share a project, make a comment, love a project, etc. We deal with literally millions of social actions per day, so figuring out a way to store and manage them is no small feat. We're happy to report the developers redesigned the system to perform way, way, way faster!

We hope you like the changes and appreciate all the hard work from the Scratch developers and design team.

As with any update to the website, we expect you may run into a bug or glitch. We kindly ask you report those issues in the Bugs & Glitches forum.

Cheers,
Speak

i hope nobody rants about this like they did about the discuss button. you guys worked 3 hours on this change, and you sure worked hard on this update! though it may take time to getting used to, it will be okay! i am the side account of frances2005.

and i am turtieturtle.
i wanted to add that people shouldn't rant on this, because it was a good thing it was added. are the alerts going to be mixed in with the messages? because i think the alerts should have a different column for that.
a glitch i noticed was that when you went to messages, a notification for messages pops up in the mail icon, but when you click it, there is no new messages.
same!

josephfitz

sea_mist wrote:

I really like this update! But there is no way to tell if it is an old message or new, so maybe you could add some sort of symbol to feature the fact that it is a new message?
actually there is, the little icon to the left will go faded if it is old.

jjhorse1

that is very cool thank you for telling

scratchtwins-691

Super cool update!!! I think it's way more organized! But, I bet that there are going to be rants, just like the Discuss Button (which got out of hand). Anyway, this update is AWESOME!!!!! I love it!

Update - There's a tiny glitch when I look at my mail and go to the homepage, the mail notification is still there. I reload the page and it's still there. Hopefully, it will get fixed.

Niffler2006

I don't actually like the updates to the messages page….. I kinda like being able to see studio notifications (new activity) and sure, it is better being able to filter it better and see when you have been promoted in a studio, but I just preferred something……. idk what….. about the old layout
and I think a lot of the my followers said they didn't like it either…

Niffler2006

scratchtwins-691 wrote:

Super cool update!!! I think it's way more organized! But, I bet that there are going to be rants, just like the Discuss Button (which got out of hand). Anyway, this update is AWESOME!!!!! I love it!

Update - There's a tiny glitch when I look at my mail and go to the homepage, the mail notification is still there. I reload the page and it's still there. Hopefully, it will get fixed.
yes, I have the same issue

mewtaylor

Just a quick FYI for everyone – we still do get updates for new activity in studios. We missed some of these updates yesterday because of the upgrades and the down time, but we will still be getting them from here on out.

As for the reason the site was down for a little under 3 hours yesterday – that was because of some of the updates happening in the background yesterday that @speakvisually mentioned. The new messages page is part of that, but the down time also had to do with some much larger changes we were doing in how information is stored in our databases to help out with the growing size of the community.

I hope that helps clear up a couple things!

fnaffan132

So no actual updates for the codes?nothing?If you do add codes can you add a way to have multiplayer or something or update the some of the codes or tell us what they do?
like these blocks
([ v] of (9))

TheUltimatum

mewtaylor wrote:

Just a quick FYI for everyone – we still do get updates for new activity in studios. We missed some of these updates yesterday because of the upgrades and the down time, but we will still be getting them from here on out.

As for the reason the site was down for a little under 3 hours yesterday – that was because of some of the updates happening in the background yesterday that @speakvisually mentioned. The new messages page is part of that, but the down time also had to do with some much larger changes we were doing in how information is stored in our databases to help out with the growing size of the community.

I hope that helps clear up a couple things!
Hey! Nice database optimizations you got there! Maybe griffpatch can finally check his 400,000+ messages.

Except

Nice, like the new updates, yet you can't see the alert section

Charge_Tec

Can the scratch team make a easyier way to make cloud multiplayer?

TheUltimatum

fnaffan132 wrote:

So no actual updates for the codes?nothing?If you do add codes can you add a way to have multiplayer or something or update the some of the codes or tell us what they do?
like these blocks
([ v] of (9))
Sorry. Multiplayer blocks have long denied.

Carriage

Charge_Tec wrote:

Can the scratch team make a easyier way to make cloud multiplayer?
Didn’t TheUltimatum just say that they were rejected…?
anyway this is about messages not projects…

Lucy_Lu

I like this update, but even after I check my messages, it says I still have a message. I'll check it and I don't, so it's really hard to tell when I have a message and when I don't. Is this a glitch or is this happening to everyone? Thanks!