Discuss Scratch

GAME-BUILDER2018
Scratcher
100+ posts

Deltora Quest

vivzhong wrote:

I'm so happy to have found this forum, and in MIT too! I've never met anyone, no matter how big a book nerd they were, who had read and loved Deltora Quest as much as I did. They were my favorite books when I was younger, right after Harry Potter, and I only got around to reading the Shadowlands last year since my library back in my elementary school days only had the first and third series. I can't believe how poorly it's known in the US - the quality of the writing, the maturity of the plot and the characters…

I really hope someone else is active on this forum still, because I have years of unshared feelings about this series to pour out!
Yes. I have loved the books since I was in early middle school when I found the first one at the library and, having nothing better to read, checked it out and read it. I have now read each series at least 3 times. I read the first series 8-9 times now I'm not even sure. The first is my obvious favorite. I watched the anime as well but I wish they had done better on it. There were some events that just never happened in the books that they put in the show. All the same I wish they had done the other two series as well.
vivzhong
New to Scratch
4 posts

Deltora Quest

In the spur of the moment I decided to re-read the second series today, which I actually enjoy even more than the first - though that might just be because I've read the first so many times already. I found Cavern of the Fear online, but not the other two. What I found so intriguing about the Shadowlands books is that though we are reading mostly from the POV of Lief, he keeps numerous secrets throughout the book from his companions and from the reader. It's fascinating to go back and read through his thoughts and realize what they were actually referring to - for example, his relationship with Marilen, the fact that he was wearing a fake Belt, etc.

I watched the entire anime series, and it was…not horrible, as far as adaptations go, but it was definitely too lighthearted and stereotypically anime-like for something as unique as Deltora Quest, which can be very dark at times. What it needs is either a BBC TV series or a cartoon of the caliber of Avatar: The Last Airbender.
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Deltora Quest

I agree with vivzhong - it's so hard to find fellow Deltora Quest fans. I know plenty very nerdy bookworms, but I am the only one among them who've ever read Emily Rodda's works

Anyone read the Doors trilogy? The excerpts look promising but I'm not so sure about getting it…

:wq
vivzhong
New to Scratch
4 posts

Deltora Quest

Rumanti wrote:

Anyone read the Doors trilogy? The excerpts look promising but I'm not so sure about getting it…

I haven't, but it sounds interesting! Emily Rodda actually seems like a really popular author in Australia - I wonder why she's just not that well-known in the US?

One of the things I found interesting was how old the characters were, compared to the ages of the intended audience. I think that factor opened the books up to more mature plot and world elements, despite the simple (though beautifully effective) language that Rodda uses. The anime definitely toned-down a lot of the violence, on top of modernizing the speech.
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Deltora Quest

vivzhong wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

I haven't, but it sounds interesting! Emily Rodda actually seems like a really popular author in Australia - I wonder why she's just not that well-known in the US?

One of the things I found interesting was how old the characters were, compared to the ages of the intended audience. I think that factor opened the books up to more mature plot and world elements, despite the simple (though beautifully effective) language that Rodda uses. The anime definitely toned-down a lot of the violence, on top of modernizing the speech.
Have you guys noticed how in the second series (if not the whole thing) there are no contractions at all?

On another note, which episodes of the anime correspond to the Shadowlands series (if any)? I'd like to try watching those.

Last edited by Deerleg (July 25, 2016 20:42:32)

vivzhong
New to Scratch
4 posts

Deltora Quest

Deerleg wrote:

vivzhong wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

Have you guys noticed how in the second series (if not the whole thing) there are no contractions at all?

On another note, which episodes of the anime correspond to the Shadowlands series (if any)? I'd like to try watching those.

Indeed! I don't recall any particular time when contractions are used - I think it helps set the tone of Deltora as a feudal kingdom of times past, as well as adding a layer of solemnity. That's why I really had trouble with the anime's frequent contractions and interjections like “Yeah!” or “Nope!”

The anime only covers the first series. I'd be so excited if anyone made a faithful adaption of the Shadowlands series - it'd better include Lief's semi-marriage proposal and Jasmine's semi-acceptance at the end of the last book.
GAME-BUILDER2018
Scratcher
100+ posts

Deltora Quest

Rumanti wrote:

I agree with vivzhong - it's so hard to find fellow Deltora Quest fans. I know plenty very nerdy bookworms, but I am the only one among them who've ever read Emily Rodda's works

I have not read the Doors Trilogy but I seriously recommend the Rowan of Rin series. Not as good as Deltora Quest but still pretty good.
mr-scratch-cat
Scratcher
500+ posts

Deltora Quest

Deerleg wrote:

vivzhong wrote:

Rumanti wrote:

I don't think there are any contractions in the first one either. Well, it's a book about the olden days. They probably didn't have contractions back then.

mr-scratch-cat
Scratcher
500+ posts

Deltora Quest

Pretty sure this is now dead.

Peach_Boba
Scratcher
6 posts

Deltora Quest

Rumanti wrote:

OMG yes those books are amazing!
Peach_Boba
Scratcher
6 posts

Deltora Quest

when green flag clicked
forever
if <i find deltora scratch forum> then

play sound [hallelujah] until done

else
play sound [*cri*] until done
end