Discuss Scratch

trolled_butter
Scratcher
7 posts

Changing Usernames

well just wondering but, cant you make it so that it gives you the option to only change your name once?

Last edited by trolled_butter (Oct. 20, 2013 17:42:13)

joletole
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

trolled_butter wrote:

well just wondering but, cant you make it so that it gives you the option to only change your name once?
Some ideas have been tossed around like this. Like, you can only change your username once every six months, but still, thats a lot.

Here, this might make it simpler:

Lets say you are at a store, and there are 3 million people stuffed inside. But luckily, you have a search button where you can find the person you want to. Now lets say you are looking for the user abc. You search abc and there he is! Now, lets say a month from now, you search abc, but you can't find him. If you really liked abc's projects, you might never be able to find him again.

Lets also say in this store 1000 people change there name all at once, well first of all, there would be mass confusion and chaos, with everyone trying to figure out who everyone is. This would also cause a slow server, and a slow server, is a buggy one.

So, for now, the Scratch Team will stick with the idea of not being able to change your username.

SDS Curator
Have a question? Ask me on my profile! I will be happy to answer them.
-What is an SDS curator? | How do I become an SDS curator? | Where can I get to your profile?-
fashionista1223
Scratcher
43 posts

Changing Usernames

To simonida,

I understand why you would want to change your username. However, then Scratch would be very confusing. You're not alone, though. Many other people have asked the Scratch Team about this, but no matter how many times we ask, it probably won't be done. Click here and read number 11. Don't worry, you're not alone. I also wish changing usernames could be allowed, but unfortunately, it can't be done.

Thanks, Fashionista1223

As you read this siggy, I am standing in front of a giant computer, that is about to eat me. Wish me luck and–*CHOMP*

Failord
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Can we please just close this already?

My suggestion: Warn Scratchers that their username is completely permenant when they sign up, when they type in their username.

Thanks for the ride, Scratch Team and community! Unfortunately, the time has come for me to move on from Scratch, so I'll no longer be using the forums. Thanks again, and farewell!
Invisible text! This will show you if a profile I claim to be mine IS mine. Just remember to visit the profile and see if I confirmed in the comments.
For old time's sake, see the revolutionary Laser Battle 2.0! Also see Unstoppable Game!

And no, the evil kumquats didn't alter my signature…
Eintity
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

Me: “Hi!”
Other Guy: “Hello!”
*Later That Day*
*Eintity Is Offline While The Other Guy Changes His Username*
Other Guy: “Hi!”
Me: “WHO ARE YOU?!”
And that is why I don't agree.

JDM or die!
My PC's Specs: 3.5 GHz- 3.9 GHz Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, Sapphire AMD R9 280X Dual-X OC, 1 TB HDD + 260 GB SSD (OS), 24“ 1080p Display
My iMac G4's Specs: 1 GHz PowerPC G4, 1 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia Geforce 2 MX, 80 GB ATA, 15” 768p Display

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Anyone know Codecademy? I changed my username a few times and confuse MYSELF

:wq
lundfamily3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

I agree it shouldnt be done but i would like to take the offer to name five sites

FelisFire
FlightRising
Lioden
MyAdopts or something (closed now due to no funding )
YouTube

Yes, I am a female. Yes, I would rather fight in a zombie apycolypse/fantasy universe than be a princess or have anything to do witha princess.
~ShadowOfArt is an alt I rarely use now a days~
Working on Christmas Animation with the amazing the_hawk_arisen!
And then the dragon lowered it's head to the wolf's and it's eyes blazed with a fury of no other creature that ever flew through the skies.
Shinigami eat only apples.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Currently watching: Deathnote (on episode 30! :O) ;
Lythium
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Maybe you can make it so that you can't change your username fully?
Like, for example:
I want to change from dsaztur to Lythium. Instead of that, I can change dsaztur to Lysaztur, wait a few months so that everyone knows dsaztur is Lysaztur, then change my username to Lythium!

lundfamily3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

Lythium wrote:

Maybe you can make it so that you can't change your username fully?
Like, for example:
I want to change from dsaztur to Lythium. Instead of that, I can change dsaztur to Lysaztur, wait a few months so that everyone knows dsaztur is Lysaztur, then change my username to Lythium!
How is that different? People still wouldn't know you. On the sites I am on where you cna change your name you have to make a topic and pm people so everyone knows who yiu are.

Yes, I am a female. Yes, I would rather fight in a zombie apycolypse/fantasy universe than be a princess or have anything to do witha princess.
And then the dragon lowered it's head to the wolf's and it's eyes blazed with a fury of no other creature that ever flew through the skies.
Zeyphr
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

xlk wrote:

TreasureChest wrote:

Idc I like my username
same. Put some thought in usernames people!
Same here!
Also, on-topic, projects dependent on the Username block would be a little…broken.

_;_ PRAISE SEMICOLON.

Show me some gears!
meowflash
Scratcher
500+ posts

Changing Usernames

Changing usernames? Not really…

More Stuff|My Bandcamp
My DeviantArt|Intro Voting For December 2015 August 10th 2016
Check out my Github, too!

Kumquats, this signature is inedible and poisonus.
Also try the code below in IBNIZ.
sxsaxAr+waxBr-*
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

deviantART gives you the option to change your username if you have Premium membership. When you change your username for the next couple months on your Profile Page next to your name it has a Last known as username box.

Perhaps we could combine what Steam does with this. We would have a Account Name and Display name. On your profile it would display your display name and in brackets it would say your account name. You could search up either of the names and it'll show the same user, thus eliminating all the problems with identity.

No I don't make projects anymore. I left some time ago.
I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
cobraguy
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Should this topic be closed now? The suggestion has already been denied.
Poosheku
Scratcher
72 posts

Changing Usernames

There's a site where I really liked this User's submissions,but I could never find them after a little while. The last post I ever saw them make was “I'm gonna change my Username soon!”. So there's a real life explanation. I still feel bad for Users that have names that tell you to follow them, though . (I don't really want to point out anyone specific.)

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Sonickyle wrote:

Perhaps we could combine what Steam does with this. We would have a Account Name and Display name. On your profile it would display your display name and in brackets it would say your account name. You could search up either of the names and it'll show the same user, thus eliminating all the problems with identity.

I'm not sure… Maybe kids would get confused and put their full real names there? Also, on Steam multiple people can have the same display name. Wouldn't that cause confusion as well?
dragon321
Scratcher
13 posts

Changing Usernames

NoxSpooth wrote:

Just make a new account.
Yes, but I have actually been wanting to change my username to dragonstar for quite a while now, and I don't want to make a new account.
Sonickyle
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

NoxSpooth wrote:

Sonickyle wrote:

I'm not sure… Maybe kids would get confused and put their full real names there? Also, on Steam multiple people can have the same display name. Wouldn't that cause confusion as well?
Make it so you can't have the same display name as someone else.

No I don't make projects anymore. I left some time ago.
I only check the forums every now and then, but other than that consider me retired.
lundfamily3
Scratcher
100+ posts

Changing Usernames

The real problem about this is:
Is it even possible to change usernames coding wise? Are projects and other things tied to the account name?

NoxSpooth
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

dragon321 wrote:

NoxSpooth wrote:

Just make a new account.
Yes, but I have actually been wanting to change my username to dragonstar for quite a while now, and I don't want to make a new account.
… Then don't make a new account and stay with your current username?

You could create a new account, and post an announcement project in both accounts telling your friends about your new username.

Also, it looks like the name dragonstar is already taken.
dracae
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Changing Usernames

Failord wrote:

Can we please just close this already?

My suggestion: Warn Scratchers that their username is completely permenant when they sign up, when they type in their username.
YES