Discuss Scratch

Scratchified_Extras
Scratcher
68 posts

Down With Tinypic!

@cheeseeater

And this exactly why I am never, ever, ever, ever visiting Tinypic again. I'm linking Paddle2see to this again so that he can see the recent discussion and confront the rest of the ST about this.

Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Paddle2See wrote:

Blaze349 wrote:

turkey3 wrote:

This site has become a disgrace! The ads are horrible, and new suspicious sites open in new tabs all the time. This site needs taken off Scratch's allowed list.
AdBlock+
I use AdBlock myself - I just went and uploaded an image with no problems at all in about 10 seconds. I saw no ads and my anti-virus gave me no alerts.
!
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Suggestion: What if the Scratch team files a complaint to Tinypic? Instead of blacklisting Tinypic, we might potentially fix the problem from its source (and save many of the current images on Scratch from destruction )
It'd fail. They love money too much.

Detriment wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Suggestion: What if the Scratch team files a complaint to Tinypic? Instead of blacklisting Tinypic, we might potentially fix the problem from its source (and save many of the current images on Scratch from destruction )

Support!
“Hey you, stop running ads that you need to make enough money to survive on your site. We blocked all image hosts except yours for some reason, and now our users don't want to see ads when uploading pictures.”

This idea doesn't seem completely ridiculous at all… Besides, it's still not clear whether removing tinypic from the whitelist will break all other images. What will most likely happen is that new tinypic pictures won't be postable, but old ones will remain unless quoted or edited.

Sarcasm don't work on the internet.
Blaze349
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Requoted so that Scratch team might see this.
“Hey you, stop running ads that you need to make enough money to survive on your site. We blocked all image hosts except yours for some reason, and now our users don't want to see ads when uploading pictures.”
Requoted so you might see this
RPFluffy is right. You really have to stop trying to manipulate others choices. Tell me what so good that tiny pic can do that cube upload can't?
turkey3
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

The problem with Tinypic is not that there are ads, it's that the ads lead to dangerous sites and just open up in new tabs.

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

turkey3 wrote:

The problem with Tinypic is not that there are ads, it's that the ads lead to dangerous sites and just open up in new tabs.
Exactly.

peppermintpatty5
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

turkey3 wrote:

@turkey3 made it very cut and dry here.

#BringBackDiscuss
Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

I never said, “stop running advertisements altogether,” I meant “moderate the advertisements to filter out the malicious ones.”
That would take time and effort, neither of which tinypic is obligated to put into this. It would also lose them a lot of ad revenue since the malware ads are numerous enough to cause a problem for the users of this site. I don't think they'd do anything even if asked.
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

I never said, “stop running advertisements altogether,” I meant “moderate the advertisements to filter out the malicious ones.”
That would take time and effort, neither of which tinypic is obligated to put into this. It would also lose them a lot of ad revenue since the malware ads are numerous enough to cause a problem for the users of this site. I don't think they'd do anything even if asked.
Can't we tell them that some of the ads that they are showing are malicious? And if tinypic refuses to take them down, then we will stop using tinypic as a host!

Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Blaze349 wrote:

RPFluffy is right. You really have to stop trying to manipulate others choices. Tell me what so good that tiny pic can do that cube upload can't?
Manipulating choices isn't necessarily a bad thing. You're twisting words around to make it look bad. If someone tells you it's a bad idea to go play in the mud because it'll make your clothes dirty, it's “manuipulating your choice” of playing in the mud. I can also see you're not understanding my argument at all if you think I'm for tinypic and against cubeupload. I'm trying to get tinypic off the whitelist, I've never mentioned cubeupload even once.
HOWING
Scratcher
500+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

What are all websites that are allowed that doesn't need an account?

Check out my most popular game! Check out my cool apple catcher! Check out my awesome Bullet Bill Dodge!
TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

HOWING wrote:

What are all websites that are allowed that doesn't need an account?
Cubeupload, tinypic.

Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

TheHockeyist wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Can't we tell them that some of the ads that they are showing are malicious? And if tinypic refuses to take them down, then we will stop using tinypic as a host!
But would they care?

Settlers of Inland - Age of Ƭɍeasoƞ

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Centrifugal wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

But would they care?
Then say that they are the most commonly used image host on the Scratch website!

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Well, I visited the site with Adblock turned off - and I saw a bunch of ads - not too surprising, I guess. However, none of them seemed particularly offensive to me. My questions to you folks that are complaining about the site:

1. Why aren't you using Adblock?

2. Who has actually been infected with malware by visiting the site?

I'm certainly not happy that they are showing ads - but they are an image hosting site that does pay some attention to what is stored on their site (unlike some other sites). And they don't require an account - which is awesome.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Scratchified_Extras
Scratcher
68 posts

Down With Tinypic!

Paddle2See wrote:

Me… I think. I am running a scan and it has detected two items.

I haven't actually done anything else that would give me this… I visited Scratch… and Fontstruct… and Tinypic.

It hasn't seemed to do anything to my computer though… yet.

I have had other things before this… however my dad ran about 329847293847210947102938128740129874918237 scans to make sure that they were off of my computer.

I really think that it is Tinypic. I also think that you should scan your computer… along with everybody else who visited Tinypic. :S

TheHockeyist
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Paddle2See wrote:

Well, I visited the site with Adblock turned off - and I saw a bunch of ads - not too surprising, I guess. However, none of them seemed particularly offensive to me. My questions to you folks that are complaining about the site:

I'm certainly not happy that they are showing ads - but they are an image hosting site that does pay some attention to what is stored on their site (unlike some other sites). And they don't require an account - which is awesome.

(Ninjaed by 3 seconds…)

1. I do use adblock, but some ads still get through. I must not be using what you have.

2. cheeseeater said it was possible to be infected if you weren't careful, but that's all I have heard…

I'm not happy that they show ads, and some ads are even not friendly for kids - alcoholism, phone numbers that you might accidentally call, etc. I haven't seen any truly disturbing ads yet, like… let's not go there, but you know what I mean, right? It's true that they do not require an account, but the site is “ugh get me out of here” when it comes to advertising. As I have said many times, it's an advertising monster.

Last edited by TheHockeyist (Dec. 7, 2014 00:15:43)

Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Paddle2See wrote:

I'm sure it's not every time that it happens, but there are a few ads that open popups that are like ‘Your PC is infected, download this to fix it“. Younger people may not be able to use adblock or understand what they’re downloading won't ”fix" their computer problems.
Detriment
Scratcher
100+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

Imagine a 7 year old trying to post his picture to the forum. He sees that he can't do so without using a specific host. He goes to imageshack, but can't sign up because he needs an email. He goes to tinypic and this ad opens up that says his computer is infected, so he downloads it and his computer gets a virus.
Deerleg
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Down With Tinypic!

TheHockeyist wrote:

Centrifugal wrote:

TheHockeyist wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

Detriment wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

peppermintpatty5 wrote:

But would they care?
Then say that they are the most commonly used image host on the Scratch website!
Why would they care about that, though?