Discuss Scratch

davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Roadmap for releasing Scratch source code, extensions...

I guess…

Remember when I looked like this? I still do.

Float, my Scratch 2.0 mod | My (somewhat under-construction) blog
Hardmath123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

Neat, great! Sounds like an exciting summer.

I'm not sure why you aren't open sourcing the website. I found rmore than a couple of little things I could have fixed for you if I had the source.
Because of some people who made a site based on the Scratch source code that was inappropriate(?) and insulting to many Scratchers.
Aww…

That's part of it. The other reasons are that it's become a rather gigantic hairy app, and the use case for people re-using it isn't as clear.

To run the old site, you needed: Php (with cakephp framework), apache, mysql,memcached, and some bits of java stuff. Setting it up was quite challenging - took a lot of know how.

To run this site, you need: Python, Gunicorn, NginX, Solr, Celery, MySQL, Mongo, Django, a bunch of middleware dependencies, probably a CDN, and about 9 other things I can't remember at the moment. So, it's not clear who would want to / could set that up.

Also, integrating fixes / pull requests from people who aren't familiar with the app is never as easy as it should be. But if you want to contribute stuff, there should be plenty of ways to help out with the HTML 5 player. It may not be very glorious work (since we won't be accepting any new features), but it's important work, because we want projects to play the same (or as close as possible) as they do on the Flash player. So it will be challenging.
I was talking about the client-side code. It's not too hard to fix bugs in your browser if you have the non-minified source to refer to, and then you can write a patch to fix a bug.

Like, the other day I found a bug where if you search something with a HTML-escaped character, for some reason the “&” is escaped last—so if you search for “gobo's car”, it would first escape the apostrophe (“gobo'car”) and then the ampersand (“gobo'”), so you saw: “gobo'car”. That's an easy fix if I had the code (I'm pretty sure I know where the issue is…), but I don't so I'm going to report it giving you yet another bug report to make sense of.
scimonster
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Hardmath123 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

I'm not sure why you aren't open sourcing the website. I found rmore than a couple of little things I could have fixed for you if I had the source.
Because of some people who made a site based on the Scratch source code that was inappropriate(?) and insulting to many Scratchers.
Aww…

That's part of it. The other reasons are that it's become a rather gigantic hairy app, and the use case for people re-using it isn't as clear.

To run the old site, you needed: Php (with cakephp framework), apache, mysql,memcached, and some bits of java stuff. Setting it up was quite challenging - took a lot of know how.

To run this site, you need: Python, Gunicorn, NginX, Solr, Celery, MySQL, Mongo, Django, a bunch of middleware dependencies, probably a CDN, and about 9 other things I can't remember at the moment. So, it's not clear who would want to / could set that up.

Also, integrating fixes / pull requests from people who aren't familiar with the app is never as easy as it should be. But if you want to contribute stuff, there should be plenty of ways to help out with the HTML 5 player. It may not be very glorious work (since we won't be accepting any new features), but it's important work, because we want projects to play the same (or as close as possible) as they do on the Flash player. So it will be challenging.
I was talking about the client-side code. It's not too hard to fix bugs in your browser if you have the non-minified source to refer to, and then you can write a patch to fix a bug.

Like, the other day I found a bug where if you search something with a HTML-escaped character, for some reason the “&” is escaped last—so if you search for “gobo's car”, it would first escape the apostrophe (“gobo'car”) and then the ampersand (“gobo'”), so you saw: “gobo'car”. That's an easy fix if I had the code (I'm pretty sure I know where the issue is…), but I don't so I'm going to report it giving you yet another bug report to make sense of.
Do report it! The more complete the bug tracker is, the better!

Retired Community Moderator
BTW, i run Google Chrome 41.0.2272.101 on a Linux system - Ubuntu 14.04. NEW: iPad 4th gen. w/retina.

418 I'm a teapot (original - to be read by bored computer geeks)
THE GAME (you just lost)
; THE SEMICOLON LIVES ON IN OUR SIGS
easymath123
Scratcher
100+ posts

djdolphin wrote:

Will Scratch extensions have to be written in ActionScript?
I Hope So Not!

Last edited by easymath123 (June 8, 2013 19:11:57)

davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

easymath123 wrote:

djdolphin wrote:

I Hope So Not!

(btw, your username… )

Last edited by davidkt (June 8, 2013 20:05:43)

roijac
Scratcher
100+ posts

I'm really not familiar with their plans, but I'm pretty sure they would want it to be more of a socket protocol, it's pretty hard to write code that communicates with hardware in AS
ajlogo
New to Scratch
3 posts

Hello,

…….Open sourcing the Scratch 2.0 Editor Our best guess is that this will be ready at the end of this Summer, or early Fall.

I would be interested in 2.0 source. I've been working on a collaborative programming environment that has both a “Logo” and “Processing” interpreters (www.colabry.com). The project is in ActionScript and may play well with Scratch.

Oh and I've got to say that Adobe Air allows for Flash/Flex/ActionScript to be compiled for iOs and Android. That existence proof would be a great project unto itself.

Cheers,
Arnie
Walrus227
Scratcher
54 posts

Magnie wrote:

Looking forward to Scratch Extensions! Would love to see raw sockets as an addition feature in Scratch. Would be interesting to see what people could create with that!
Experimental Extensions Are Secretly Released. Shift-Click File, look at the bottom of the list. For more info, go to this topic. Extensions are .json files.

Last edited by Walrus227 (July 14, 2013 14:31:28)

Walrus227
Scratcher
54 posts

davidkt wrote:

easymath123 wrote:

djdolphin wrote:

I Hope So Not!

(btw, your username… )
Like I already said, extension are .json
Devloper123
Scratcher
58 posts

Hardmath123 wrote:

If they did i could too.I know html,js,css,php,
bharvey
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Using Flash was an intermediate step we had to take because HTML 5 wasn't ready when we started on Scratch 2.0
I know where you can find an HTML5-based very-much-like-Scratch code base to work from.

TC01017
Scratcher
100+ posts

djdolphin wrote:

No, not now, at least. It is in .json Shift click file and you will see import experimental extension. It is actually quite simple to make a useless block.
djdolphin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TC01017 wrote:

djdolphin wrote:

No, not now, at least. It is in .json Shift click file and you will see import experimental extension. It is actually quite simple to make a useless block.
Yeah, I've figured that out.

!
LucidSquare
New to Scratch
100+ posts

mmmmmm good.

jji7skyline
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Exciting stuff… the new website sounds reeeaaalllyyy complicated though
stickdude123
Scratcher
85 posts

If you open source the editor, there will almost be a guarantee that someone will make scratch for the oculus rift XD

Quote of the week: Lightnin
Everyone! Repeat after me:
stay on topic… stay on topic……stay on topic….
FireNinjaGAME
Scratcher
100+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

jvvg wrote:

Cool! Are there any plans to open-source the website?

Not at this time, no.

OrcaCat wrote:

Wow, awesome!

Will the HTML viewer eventually turn into an editor?

Yes, most definitely. It's clear that Flash is being phased out. Using Flash was an intermediate step we had to take because HTML 5 wasn't ready when we started on Scratch 2.0 (in fact, there are still a lot of missing / half implemented features even now - like the lack of a cross browser sound API that we can use to play multiple sounds simultaneously.)

YES! MOBILE DEVICES RUNNING SCRATCH! THIS IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! YES!

Moving on from Scratch, to much bigger things. It's gonna be one fun adventure.
DigiTechs
Scratcher
500+ posts

bharvey wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Using Flash was an intermediate step we had to take because HTML 5 wasn't ready when we started on Scratch 2.0
I know where you can find an HTML5-based very-much-like-Scratch code base to work from.
You just want everyone to use Snap!, don't you?

I do, in fact, have my own site; it's here.
I'm also working on a thing called Fetch. Look at it here!
@thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain. @thisandagain pls explain.
davidkt
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DigiTechs wrote:

bharvey wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

I thought Snap! was Flash

bobbybee
Scratcher
1000+ posts

davidkt wrote:

DigiTechs wrote:

bharvey wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

I thought Snap! was Flash

Nope, HTML5

“Ooo, can I call you Señorita Bee?” ~Chibi-Matoran