Discuss Scratch

WAluigipants
Scratcher
8 posts

Trademark and the Scratch online community

I made a Mario project, and a lot of sprites were missing! Who did this?
MrMario5467
Scratcher
100+ posts

This was pretty informational.

My signature is currently on vacation forever. I'm not sure when he'll come back.
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Dragonturnip wrote:

I have a question. I made a project called Idea Storm, but that is already something to do with Dell computers. Will I get sued or something?
No. They can, at most, get it renamed or removed.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
braxbroscratcher
Scratcher
1000+ posts

TM_ wrote:

The_Grits wrote:

Wow… this would make for a funny newspaper article… “Multimillion dollar complex demands name change of a Children's Online Studio” XD

Better: “Multimillion dollar complex demands name change of a quite unknown Children's Online Studio with 7 Followers”

I could understand them if it would have a lot of followers, but really? They want a name change just because it exists and does not make any damage to their company? Okay, since now it will be a famous studio because it is a good one and everyone has it one his front page So the studio owner could also thank the ST and the real Animation Hall of Fame for causing this trouble and make it appear on Front page
XD Yeah. A multimillion dolloar museum getting angry at a person for naming a STUDIO here the same thing? Most would search up on google to get to it ‘Animation Hall Of Fame Museum’. But, seriously. I have seen lots of projects replicating stuff with trademarks and copyrights. And they aren't removed/renamed! So yeah. And, I am replicating a game (not exactly, just in the style/gameplay style of it) that is probably trademarked. And if they were to report my replica that I am making, then they would have reported the collab (yes it is a collab) studio, forum, and account(s). I find this museum thing outrageous.

My signature is kumquat proof.
But not tangerine pro-
nomnomnomnomnom

Current Project:
n/a
Quotes: “In our last hour, we burn the most brightly, trying to deny that we are burning out.” -Me
“Well, no. 1024 Killerbytes make a Murderbyte.” -MegaByteCorporations
“I hate out of context quotes.” -Me
“I hate it when Cubeupload breaks.” -Also me
SANDIman
Scratcher
8 posts

Now I know what trade marks is!
when green flag clicked
switch costume to [Happy v]

Look at my website were on user uses Trade marks.
My browser / operating system: Linux, Firefox 24.0, Flash 11.2 (release 202)
Contest101-test
Scratcher
78 posts

I think the copyright page should tell
(company)
about this issue.

This is Contest101's test account.

My OS Automatically changes for holidays! How cool is that?
Contest101-test
Scratcher
78 posts

OK, I think the real issue is that it is a multi million dollar company, and the money has gone to their heads!

Last edited by Contest101-test (May 7, 2014 17:23:16)

This is Contest101's test account.

My OS Automatically changes for holidays! How cool is that?
PockyNinja
Scratcher
6 posts

Wes64 wrote:

this is absolutely disgusting that companies would engage in such behavior towards this site. it's borderline predatory behavior/bullying, since there's no obvious profit or harm. they just want to exert power over the users.

we should have some sort of peaceful protest like we did with sopa.

Comment on my profile if you would like a signature like this!
AdditionallyThat
Scratcher
5 posts

dellpacker wrote:

andycman wrote:

Don't use ™ or ® unless you actually contacted the US Patent office and patented the thing you put ® or ™ behind.
What if were not American?
Finally, someone realizes that the UK exists! Thanks you, you're awesome.
wkelly42
Scratcher
100+ posts

Contest101-test wrote:

OK, I think the real issue is that it is a multi million dollar company, and the money has gone to their heads!

But they aren't. They are a NON-PROFIT organization. They make no profit.

My Retro Arcade:
COMPLETED: Frogger, Missile Command, Computer Space.
IN DEVELOPMENT: Barnstorming, Time Pilot, Defender, River Raid, Karateka
mymonaoo
New to Scratch
1 post

http://scratch.mit.edu/ انا اليوم فتت على
Petablu
Scratcher
20 posts

This is not good. Seriously, it just limits children's rights to make something in scratch. First, the pacman project, second, I've ever heard from @minecraftpe123 was emailed by Mojang with a not really good reply. “Hey minecraftpe123, Great to hear that you're learning programming, but unfortunately it is not allowed to use our assets for a game and distribute it. Kind regards” Now, a museum that don't want a studio with a same name on a website that allows kids to program for their future? Seriously, they don't think about kids at Scratch. For some kids at Scratch who want to be a programmer when they grew up, they are using Scratch to learn how to code. Or for some, they are also using Scratch to have fun. They are preventing scratchers to think creatively! This needs to be stopped. 2 copyright problems, and 1 company assets problem. Like one ever said, children learn to code by recreating their favorite games. Companies have to also think about children who are coding right now. Maybe, the children that codes only simple games like pong will be a programmer of a really complex video game in the future or become a CEO of a succesful company. Let's think about the future, don't just think about company assets and trademarks and copyright if kids recreate their creations. All kids have potential. Don't prevent them using the power of trademarks and copyright.

Petablu Forum Announcements :
Everyone, please check "Project Won't Save!" I'm having bad problem that hinder me from saving and uploading projects!
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Petablu wrote:

This is not good. Seriously, it just limits children's rights to make something in scratch. First, the pacman project, second, I've ever heard from @minecraftpe123 was emailed by Mojang with a not really good reply. “Hey minecraftpe123, Great to hear that you're learning programming, but unfortunately it is not allowed to use our assets for a game and distribute it. Kind regards” Now, a museum that don't want a studio with a same name on a website that allows kids to program for their future? Seriously, they don't think about kids at Scratch. For some kids at Scratch who want to be a programmer when they grew up, they are using Scratch to learn how to code. Or for some, they are also using Scratch to have fun. They are preventing scratchers to think creatively! This needs to be stopped. 2 copyright problems, and 1 company assets problem. Like one ever said, children learn to code by recreating their favorite games. Companies have to also think about children who are coding right now. Maybe, the children that codes only simple games like pong will be a programmer of a really complex video game in the future or become a CEO of a succesful company. Let's think about the future, don't just think about company assets and trademarks and copyright if kids recreate their creations. All kids have potential. Don't prevent them using the power of trademarks and copyright.
I do have to say, though… it's not “creative” to use the assets of a company's game in your own project.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Petablu
Scratcher
20 posts

Firedrake969 wrote:

Petablu wrote:

I do have to say, though… it's not “creative” to use the assets of a company's game in your own project.
Well, children learn by doing what they like, though. Plus, there are thousands of people who do minecraft in here.

Last edited by Petablu (June 25, 2014 02:56:10)

Petablu Forum Announcements :
Everyone, please check "Project Won't Save!" I'm having bad problem that hinder me from saving and uploading projects!
snoopy84
Scratcher
4 posts

We are kids, teens and young adults! How are we supposed to know! And, is it SO hard to scroll down he list of images to find what you are looking for?! Is it?!
when I receive [Dumb message]
say [You have got to be kidding me!]
(join [The smart] [People])
snoopy84
Scratcher
4 posts

andycman wrote:

Don't use ™ or ® unless you actually contacted the US Patent office and patented the thing you put ® or ™ behind.
No offense, but I REALLY don't think that a 10-year-old wants to contact the U.S. Patent Office JUST to give some project a name!
scratchrainbow
Scratcher
100+ posts

Lightnin wrote:

Recently the owner of the registered trademark for “Animation Hall of Fame” contacted us to request that we rename or remove a Scratch Studio titled “Animation Hall of Fame”. Apparently when one Googles “Animation Hall of Fame,” the link to their organization is first, but the results also include a link to a Scratch Studio with the same name.

We see the value of trademark law: We wouldn't want anyone else to be able to create a programming language called Scratch. That could lead to a lot of confusion, and wouldn't be fair. However, there are limits to how broadly trademark should be applied. For example, if someone created a skateboard called Scratch, I don't think we'd have much reason to complain (as long as they weren't using our logo, or claiming some kind of association or endorsement from us.)

But in this case, we don't feel that this trademark claim is reasonable or fair. According to the About page on their website, their “Animation Hall of Fame” is:

“To be located in the Central Florida area of the United States, the Animation Hall of Fame, Inc. complex will be an international interactive, entertainment attraction honoring the history and heritage of Animation from around the world. This state of the art high-tech complex and each of its venues will be designed to educate and entertain animation fans and non-fans alike from around the world.”
( http://animationhalloffame.org/about.html )

The Scratch studio formerly titled “Animation Hall of Fame” is, well, a Scratch studio: A webpage, created by a Scratcher, that shows projects made by kids who are learning to program animations with Scratch, a free programming tool created at MIT.

http://scratch.mit.edu/studios/346625/
(Check it out- there are some good Scratch animations in there!)

Is it really reasonable to demand that we rename this Scratch studio to avoid possible confusion between a multimillion dollar complex in Florida, and a webpage with some Scratch projects? We really don't think so. But because taking legal action to contest this would be very expensive and time consuming, we agreed to change the title of the studio formerly known as “Animation Hall of Fame” to: “Scratch Hall of Fame - Animation.” I guess this clarifies what should be pretty obvious: A webpage with some Scratch projects is not likely to be confused with a multimillion dollar museum.
that is interesting!

By _Comicfan_

geoman777
Scratcher
8 posts

This is so dumb! I mean shouldn't that multi million company have better things to do? I mean come on!!!!!! Seriously! If you do not have anything to do, maybe you should not really be a multi million company, should you? You guys should be ashamed of yourself! I mean, are people really going to get confused between a children's studio and a multi million dollar company? I didn't think so!

Hey… this is awkward….
SilverOspreyStudios
Scratcher
34 posts

when [ridiculousness v] > (common sense)
say [This is just silly...]
wait until <[sillyness] = [stopped]>

TravelsbyTardis
Scratcher
21 posts

Dragonturnip wrote:
I have a question. I made a project called Idea Storm, but that is already something to do with Dell computers. Will I get sued or something?

shiguy101 wrote:
I don't think so.

It that happens again don't change the name, Just right a letter telling them thay are being jurks and that no one will get them confused.
I don't think calling the company jerks is going to lighten up the situation…

I should put something amazing here