Discuss Scratch

stevetheipad
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Gravitation wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

I quite like it (regarding your font)! It's got a… retro-futuristic feel, if that makes any sense. I apologize; my life flows in oxymorons and paradoxes.

On the topic of comic sans, it's great for comic book text (and I would assume that's where it got its moniker to begin with). It can give things a more childish and fun feel, so like children's websites, for example.
Thanks

I have another possible font in the making, if you guys approve of it:

Gawd yes.

i miss the old days
StarscreamClone
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

jji7skyline wrote:

Zaneki wrote:

StarscreamClone wrote:

I quite like it (regarding your font)! It's got a… retro-futuristic feel, if that makes any sense. I apologize; my life flows in oxymorons and paradoxes.

On the topic of comic sans, it's great for comic book text (and I would assume that's where it got its moniker to begin with). It can give things a more childish and fun feel, so like children's websites, for example.
…Regarding whose font? :P
Presumably OP's
Gravitation's. Sorry, jumping into a conversation again, I see… XD I need to stop that.

Somewhere in my 20s | He/It
Workin' on my degree in computer science and cognitive science, and the future president of 2036!

Surge is my imaginary husband - he's the guy in my icon!
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Why I haven't see this sooner?! I'm FAN of typography and fonts! :O I like making typography with CSS, and I have installed a font-maker software, even though I have not used it yet

:wq
mythbusteranimator
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

dracae wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

luiysia wrote:

I like it! the little lines are pretty unique, though to be honest I can't think of anywhere it could be used lol
Thanks! Yeah, it's experimental anyway, but if you /really/ think about it, Comic Sans doesn't fit any sane category and is STILL overused ;3
What do you mean? Comic Sans can be used EVERYWHERE perfectly fine.
*barfs*

I've been listening to…
Ogre Battle // Queen // Queen II // Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Progressive Metal
Orion // Metallica // Master of Puppets // Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Instrumental
Damage Inc. // Metallica// Master of Puppets // Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal
Snow (Hey Oh) // Red Hot Chilli Peppers // Snow (Hey Oh) // Soft Rock, Acoustic
Who Wants To Live Forever // Queen // A Kind of Magic // Power Ballad, Soft Rock
I suggest you listen to…
For a influential playlist: Damage Inc and Orion. Both of these songs are part of the album that revolutionized heavy and thrash metal forever.
kdotmcco
Scratcher
3 posts

Fonts and Typography

Gravitation wrote:

GameHutSoftware wrote:

How do you make a font? I've been wondering this for ages. Is there a program I can download?

I use Fontforge and Inkscape. Both of them are FOSS and run on Windows and Linux.
There's a bit to get used to, though, what I do is:

How did you find out about those programs/figure out how to use them??
LeDerpy123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

scratchisthebest wrote:

cocolover76 wrote:

*pics*
I'm impressed!

All your capital ‘I’s look exactly the same! I can't do that with my handwriting!

now who wants to make it into a font
Who wants to make this into a font?

That is my legit handwriting. It is so neat, right? It says “LeDerpy123's handwriting abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 12345678910”
Anyways, I will benefit this topic by saying that Segoe UI Light is my favorite font.

My specs: Windows 8.1.2 - 3 GB RAM - Intel Core2 Quad - IE11
Gravitation
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

kdotmcco wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

GameHutSoftware wrote:

How do you make a font? I've been wondering this for ages. Is there a program I can download?

I use Fontforge and Inkscape. Both of them are FOSS and run on Windows and Linux.

How did you find out about those programs/figure out how to use them??
A lot of Googling. After I found them I figured out how to use them myself.

@LeDerpy you should see mine o_O

LeDerpy123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Gravitation wrote:

@LeDerpy you should see mine o_O
I wanna see it.

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

sharpies omg

If I continue this, it's going to be drawn very neatly and done with paintfont.com, because I don't want to fight with all these curvy font programs today.

I am a Lava Expert
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

I would create my own font, but have no idea how.

Any tutorials, step by step?

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
stevetheipad
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Firedrake969 wrote:

1. Find writing tool
2. Find paper
3. Grip writing tool in your hand
4. While holding writing tool in your hand, move your hand around horizontally. Allow the tip of the writing tool to touch paper.
5. Try to use the writing tool to form letters
6. Voala!

i miss the old days
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Wow. Unbelievable. I would never have thought of that.

Now. How do I upload them to computer as a font?

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Firedrake969 wrote:

Wow. Unbelievable. I would never have thought of that.

Now. How do I upload them to computer as a font?

Font generators should allow you to download it after you created it. If you used FontForge, (An app for “proffesionals” maybe) you then save it as .ttf or .otf. Then, install!

Rumanti
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

XD

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

you can put it on puush.me or similar

anyway thoughts???

Last edited by scratchisthebest (Oct. 24, 2013 01:21:49)

I am a Lava Expert
LeDerpy123
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

scratchisthebest wrote:

anyway thoughts???
It's very fancy shmancy. Me gusta.

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

I am a Lava Expert
Gravitation
Scratcher
100+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Firedrake969 wrote:

Gravitation wrote:

GameHutSoftware wrote:

Step 1: Create folder for font
Step 2: Make folder inside it called “ffready”
Step 3: Open Fontforge, click “New”
Step 4: Go to Element >> Font Info and configure the “PS Names” tab (keeping in mind that you'll be making a different font for the thin, regular, bold and italics for each styles)
Step 5: In the General tab, set Em Size to 1024; your ascent and descent will change accordingly. They should be 819 and 205, respectively.
Step 6: Open up Inkscape, and set the size of the blank page to 1024x1024. Drag out one vertical guide and 3 horizontal guides. Double click each and set the vertical one to y: 0 x: 25, one horizontal one to x: 0 y: 205, another horizontal one to x: 0 y: 510, and the other vertical one to x: 0 y: 819.
Step 7: The guide in the middle is the top of your lowercase glyphs, and the guide at the bottom is the lower anchor of all your glyphs. The vertical guide is the left anchor. Design your “a” glyph with all this in mind, and when you're done, drag out a guide that goes exactly to the right edge of your glyph. Do path->stroke to path and then path->union, then save it as an Inkscape SVG in your font's folder. Then save it as a plain SVG in the ffready folder.
Step 8: Design the “m” glyph exactly like you made the a one, then drag out a guide to reach the very right edge of your glyph. Path->stroke to path, path->union, save like you saved a.
Step 9: Delete the “m” glyph from your current open Inkscape window and save the guides-only Inkscape SVG in your font's folder and name it “guides.svg”.
Step 10: From now on, all of your glyphs will be made from the guides.svg file.

Step 11: Import a new glyph that is in your ffready folder into the appropriate spot in FontForge's glyph list, by double-clicking on it's blank spot and then going to File >> Import and selecting them, in the new window that pops up after you double-click.
Step 12: Before you close the window, go to Element >> Find Problems… and check all of the boxes in both the Points and Paths tabs. Click OK. It'll most likely pop up with errors. If there isn't a fix button, export the glyph back to it's ffready file and fix it in Inkscape, then delete the current glyph in fontforge's editor and import again. Repeat this step until “cannot find errors” is the first thing that pops up.
Step 13: Repeat steps 11 and 12 for all the new glyphs in your ffready folder, so all the glyphs in there are in FontForge.
Step 14: SAVE. Save your font as an sfd file OFTEN.
Step 15: Design a glyph that isn't in FontForge yet in Inkscape. Path->Stroke to path, Path->Union, save like you saved a and m.

Step 16: Repeat steps 11 through 15 for all glyphs.
Step 17: Make sure all of your glyphs are in FontForge using steps 11 and 12.
Step 18: In FontForge, go to File >> Generate Fonts, and select TTF as the format. Save in your font's folder (which by now is cluttered with SVG's)
Step 19: There, one weight of your font is done! yay

scratchisthebest wrote:

anyway thoughts???
Good luck turning that bottom one into a font. I can't imagine how huge the GPOS/GSUB tables will be. I like them though.

@Rumanti Nice, that could be the next Comic Sans (coughcough). It's “Creative Commons,” not “Creative Copyright,” to be technically correct And CC is a group of licenses. Did you get CC-BY-SA or just Attributions?

Last edited by Gravitation (Oct. 24, 2013 06:59:59)

scratchisthebest
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Fonts and Typography

Gravitation wrote:

Good luck turning that bottom one into a font. I can't imagine how huge the GPOS/GSUB tables will be. I like them though.
Which I assume are the ligature tables? Oh good grief

I am a Lava Expert
luiysia
Scratcher
500+ posts

Fonts and Typography

check it out (source)

chibi by hidekaz himaruya
pink version

It’s such a little thing to weep—
So short a thing to sigh—
And yet—by Trades—the size of these