Discuss Scratch

3sal2
Scratcher
100+ posts

Discussion for solving the "Fame" problem. (UPDATED)

braxbroscratcher wrote:

[

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

How do we get rid of unwanted fame?
Fame isn't a bad thing by itself, but it becomes bad if abused/misused. That's why I want to discuss some ways we can reduce or discourage the want for fame without eliminating the good side of it. I understand it won't be easy, but allow me to present my ideas, some moderate, some radical:
Solution 1: Elimination of Following
This is the most radical solution, but if Scratchers don't get to follow anyone, there won't be any reason to get famous this way. In fact, since when is someone famous for the number of followers they have? I understand lots of you will hate this idea because you don't get to keep in touch with your friends, but I'm sure you can find ways around this. This will stop the creation of accounts that are made for following “everyone” (obviously, that's impossible), as well as render the current ones useless.
Supporters:
Solution 2: Allow the Reporting of Comments that Request for Followers
I think some of us have had enough of users begging for followers on others' profiles, so we should be allowed to report this type of spam. Say a user has spammed “follow me” on 5 profiles, all are reported, so the user gets a one-day mute from Scratch, disabling them from commenting. Then he/she receives an alert that says “Please do not let fame distract you from programming” or something like that. Continuous spamming may result in longer mutes and/or temporary bans.
Supporters: firedrake969, Zaneki, mitchboy, joshuaho, Centrifugal, darkness3560, A-no-meep, cobraguy, billybobscratch, davidkt, BigBlueBlock, Poosheku, PhirripSyrrip, 1234abcdcba4321, AonymousGuy, GyroscopeBill, Deerleg, VoltageGames, savaka
Solution 3: Cap the Number of Users you can Follow *Updated*
I believe there should be a limit as to how many people the user can follow. It must be set high enough to allow for people to follow everyone they want to follow, but also low enough to discourage over-following. I'd say a good starting limit would be 250 users any one person can follow, but the limit can be changed with the consent everyone. THIS DOES NOT LIMIT THE NUMBER OF FOLLOWERS SOME ONE CAN HAVE.
Supporters:
Solution 4: Limit the Number of Users You can Follow Each Day
Similar to solution 3, but this affects how many users someone can follow in 24 hours. I'd say that the limit should be 10 people to follow a day (this is subject to change if you have a better limit). After they've followed the limit, they must wait 24 hours before following more. There are very little repercussions with this method, so I'd say it's the best solution we have.
Supporters: firedrake969, Zaneki, Mokat, turkey3, joshuaho, Centrifugal, darkness3560, A-no-meep, cobraguy, davidkt, BigBlueBlock, 1234abcdcba4321, AonymousGuy, GyroscopeBill, Deerleg, VoltageGames, savaka
Solution 5: Adding a “Popularity” Rule to the Community Guidelines
Courtesy of stevetheipad, this suggests that a change, either a totally new point or a small rewriting of words, be made to the CG's. By referring to the etiquette of Scratch for the regulation of fame, Scratchers will be less interested in turning Scratch into a social network and more interested in expanding the popularity of Scratch around the world.
Supporters: stevetheipad, BigBlueBlock, Poosheku, mitchboy, PhirripSyrrip, AonymousGuy, Firedrake969(?), savaka
I support 1, as you could easily do without it by periodically checking the user's page.

I support 2, except the mute would apply to the FORUMS, PROJECT NOTES, AND INSTRUCTIONS ON SHARED PROJECTS. And first mute would last 3 days.

I support 3, except the cap should be 25.

I support 4, with a cap of 3 follows a day.

I support 5, just say love/fave/follow only users that you like. And if someone asks you to follow them arbitrarily (not as part of a collab they were in), they could be banned for 1 day (after a warning), multiplying by 2 every time the person broke this point. And after the ban exceeded, say, 15 days, they would be permanently banned. If they made a new account and proceeded with the asking for follows, then they would be IP banned. This ban could be removed if the user that was asked for follow confirmed they were a friend, said that they were going to follow them but forgot, etc.

1 was eliminated.

Th* *ui** *r*wn *ox **mps o**r the la*y **g.

My 250th post!
3sal2
Scratcher
100+ posts

3sal2 wrote:

I support 3 and 4. Change the limit to 50 500 followers, with up to 3 new followers a day.

Edit: And #2 as well.

Edit: Also limit to 10 new followers a week (Gregorian calendar, from Sunday to Saturday), 30 new followers a month (Gregorian calendar, from 1st to 28th, 29th, 30th, or 31st, depending on the month), and 100 followers a year (Gregorian calendar, Jan 1 to Dec 31). If the user can't follow another user at the time, show one of these.

Sorry, but you cannot follow more than 500 Scratchers at a time.
Sorry, but you cannot follow more than 3 Scratchers a day. View log
Sorry, but you cannot follow more than 10 Scratchers a week. View log
Sorry, but you cannot follow more than 30 Scratchers a month. View log
Sorry, but you cannot follow more than 100 Scratchers a year. View log

The View log link would link to a private log (only accessible to the follower) showing his/her follow history.

3 followers a day means from midnight to midnight, based on the user's time zone.

Th* *ui** *r*wn *ox **mps o**r the la*y **g.

My 250th post!
letsplayally
Scratcher
100+ posts

To: ProdigyZeta7
I have another Idea that may work. You know how it says how many followers you have? We could remove that number so you could not tell how many people are following you or how many people you are following (Fig 1.) Or we could just remove the tab altogether (Fig 2.). Is it possible you could add that to one of the solutions?

Fig 1:

Fig 2:
goldfish678
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Full support on #5.
SweetsGalore
Scratcher
76 posts

Support on #2

Nice, kumquaaaaat……..

NOOOOOOOOO!
DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

I support all but 1 (obviously).

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

Ean173
Scratcher
100+ posts

ProdigyZeta7 wrote:

Solution 2,
Solution 4,
and Solution 5
I support those solutions!

Last edited by Ean173 (Aug. 25, 2014 02:09:26)

Roses are red.
Violets are red.
Bushes are red.
Trees are red.
MY GARDEN IS ON FIRE!!!

If you cringe at what you've done years ago, that means you've grown as a person.
VoltageGames
Scratcher
1000+ posts

Please add my support to #5.

i3-6100 / r9 380 / 8 gigs ram / 1 tb hdd

Click here to inflate my ego and thank me for my posts.

QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

With this, as in all Scratch Community Conflicts, there are many sides and perspectives.

Nonfixing Siders
These people are on different sides. For example, in this one is the people who think the fame is good, and bad. These people do not try to solve the problem at all, but they tell about it.
Indecisive/Don't Cares
The people who think it is a problem, or it doesn't need to happen, or they are just not on a side.
Attempting to Fix Siders
These people are siders, but they attempt to fix the problem. These people are good.

I am a bit on the side where I don't see this as a problem, and it shouldn't be, as Scratch is a place to have fun: Imagine, Program, Share!

ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS HAIL HAIL YES HAIL Have you heard of that rad new process called cellular respiration? It's so rad, the process of getting ATP from oxygen and carbon! Radical!

I am positive. I do not wish to engage in any conversations about AE, simplicity, or hate. I wish to ignore it and not state my opinion so, because you will not listen to me. I just want to be your friend!

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
RandomPerson1789
Scratcher
100+ posts

Support 1
gxl
Scratcher
41 posts

I do not think you should have a cap on how many users someone can follow.
Personally, I dislike following more than 150 scratchers, but that's just me.
There are plenty of users who follow loads of scratchers and there doesn't seem to be a problem. You seem to be forgetting about users that have been on scratch for many years, and are therefore more likely to be over the suggested limit.

Another thing, I do not see Follow for a Follow users as a threat or problem.
I don't understand why people are bothered about this sort of thing. It can easily be ignored. It's always going to happen. There is nothing we can do to stop this. Anyway, if someone did get insanely popular by these means, I'm sure we'd all notice. -.-

But it's nice to see that you're addressing the issue and suggesting solutions.

Last edited by gxl (Aug. 26, 2014 19:02:21)

QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

gxl wrote:

I do not think you should have a cap on how many users someone can follow.
Personally, I dislike following more than 150 followers, but that's just me.
There are plenty of users who follow loads of scratchers and there doesn't seem to be a problem. You seem to be forgetting about users that have been on scratch for many years, and are therefore more likely to be over the suggested limit.

Another thing, I do not see Follow for a Follow users as a threat or problem.
I don't understand why people are bothered about this sort of thing. It can easily be ignored. It's always going to happen. There is nothing we can do to stop this. Anyway, if someone did get insanely popular by these means, I'm sure we'd all notice. -.-

But it's nice to see that you're addressing the issue and suggesting solutions.

I completely agree.

ALL HAIL THE DARK LORD OF THE TWIN MOONS HAIL HAIL YES HAIL Have you heard of that rad new process called cellular respiration? It's so rad, the process of getting ATP from oxygen and carbon! Radical!

I am positive. I do not wish to engage in any conversations about AE, simplicity, or hate. I wish to ignore it and not state my opinion so, because you will not listen to me. I just want to be your friend!

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
gxl
Scratcher
41 posts

luiysia wrote:

I got this funny meme from google images. I think it's about dota 2, but it kind of applies here too (win=high follower count).

if people like accumulating followers, then who are we to stop them they'll have decent careers as advertisers in the future

edit: also, the other problem with stopping this kind of stuff, is that this is really really common in other sites like deviantart or facebook, so it would take constant vigilance to prevent it from leaking back in. it's such a petty problem that I doubt it's actually worth the effort.

this is brilliant. I agree 100% with this.
StarAni6977
Scratcher
39 posts

I like 3. But 250 is too big, 100 is big enough.

BEEP- WEL-COME-TO-AWE-SOME-LAND-PRE-PARE-TO-BE-AMAZED-BEEP
DemCupcakesYo
Scratcher
100+ posts

luiysia wrote:

I got this funny meme from google images. I think it's about dota 2, but it kind of applies here too (win=high follower count).

if people like accumulating followers, then who are we to stop them they'll have decent careers as advertisers in the future

edit: also, the other problem with stopping this kind of stuff, is that this is really really common in other sites like deviantart or facebook, so it would take constant vigilance to prevent it from leaking back in. it's such a petty problem that I doubt it's actually worth the effort.

Saying that following = winning could not be anymore wrong. This fame thing is making people forget that Scratch is not about fame, but about LEARNING. If you learn code, that's winning, not becoming the most famous guy on Scratch.

-DemCupcakesYo

If you support, it should be +1. If you don't, it should be +0, not -1. If you half-support, it should be +1/2 or +0.5, not +0. You can't subtract from the supporters.

My browser / operating system: Windows 7, Chrome 36.0.1985.125, Flash 14.0 (release 0)

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Saying that following = winning could not be anymore wrong. This fame thing is making people forget that Scratch is not about fame, but about LEARNING. If you learn code, that's winning, not becoming the most famous guy on Scratch.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

DemCupcakesYo wrote:

luiysia wrote:

Some people use Scratch for different things. It's supposed to be used for learning, but some people treat it as a place to make friends and follow people.
To get rid of this “problem”, get rid of

comments
followers
love its
favorites
forums
views
and individual accounts (people may like one account too much)
Also, people say too much of “following isn't important” and then worship people who get the most followed. That is a point from the other side, but still… Let people be and don't bring up problems that don't need to be brought up. This problem shouldn't exist because people are making a mountain out of a molehill.
If you don't like f4f, don't do it. If you want Scratch to be used for programming, use it that way (That's what I would do)

Last edited by QuantumPixel (Aug. 26, 2014 23:22:27)

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
QuantumPixel
Scratcher
89 posts

Say there's this basketball court somewhere. Some kids go there to play basketball, like it's supposed to be used, and some people take advantage of the extra room to play d&d or something like that. Some of the basketball kids think that the board games are pointless and should go somewhere else, like a comic book store. The basketball kids have a point, because the basketball court is supposed to be used for basketball, but the D&D kids have a right to be there too, because it's not against the rules. Plus, sometimes the D&D kids join in to play basketball.

This is just like Scratch:
Basketball court-scratch community
Basketball kids-project makers and programmers
D&D kids-followers
Comic book store= facebook, twitter, etc…

Sincerely Yours,
~QuantumPixel
Zro716
Scratcher
1000+ posts

QuantumPixel wrote:

Say there's this basketball court somewhere. Some kids go there to play basketball, like it's supposed to be used, and some people take advantage of the extra room to play d&d or something like that. Some of the basketball kids think that the board games are pointless and should go somewhere else, like a comic book store. The basketball kids have a point, because the basketball court is supposed to be used for basketball, but the D&D kids have a right to be there too, because it's not against the rules. Plus, sometimes the D&D kids join in to play basketball.

This is just like Scratch:
Basketball court-scratch community
Basketball kids-project makers and programmers
D&D kids-followers
Comic book store= facebook, twitter, etc…
Sounds like a fun story, but let me continue what you're leaving out:

The D&D players, feeling comfortable about their motives, move their table to smack-dab in the middle of the court, stopping the basketball game from progressing. The BB kids come over to tell them to move their table away from the court so they can continue playing, but the D&D players believe they have every right to remain where they are because it is not illegal to do. The BB kids disagree, saying that interrupting their B-ball game is disrespectful to them, and ask them to move their table to the side of the court. The D&D kids agree to that which is sufficient to allow the B-ball game to progress.

After a short while, the D&D kids are starting to get tumultuous, which distracts some of the B-ball kids from focusing on their game. Once again the game stops, and one of the B-ball kids comes over to tell them to get away from the court if they're gonna be that loud. The D&D kids resist his demand saying they are doing nothing wrong and have already abided to the terms set earlier. As more B-ball players rush over to force the D&D kids off the court, tensions escalate to a near all-out brawl.

Think you can finish the story? How about a resolution involving an adult breaking up the fight?

As a long time Scratcher, I have found new meaning to the name “Scratch”: for me, it means to “scratch that itch”, to come back again and again to realize new ideas in this toy language, even when I'm capable of creating my projects in real programming languages years later. It's a friend that helped me to pursue programming and get me to enjoy its fruit. I'm certain many others who have walked this path as well have grown fond of its importance in their life.
derpmeup
Scratcher
1000+ posts

I support 2 and 5

hey bro that's a pretty good meme xD!