Discuss Scratch

TheMatrixKid
Scratcher
100+ posts

Updates! 3 October 2013: Working on speeding things up...

Shame this is the last day of Victoria school holidays…now there will be a tiny bit more traffic.

I'm a CDR! Born under CONSes!
jkl0l
Scratcher
500+ posts

w00t w00t! SPEED!!!

This made me cry. NO!!! NOT THE BOW TIE!!!
SaysonRMX
Scratcher
16 posts

Lightnin wrote:

Don't know if you've noticed, but we're growing! Yesterday we had more traffic to the site than ever before. As a result, we've had to shift our energy to speeding things up so our servers can handle the growing load.

* Faster (and more efficient!) comment loading on all pages
* More stuff is cached! (That's a fancy way of saying: we're keeping stuff in our server's memory instead of reading it from the disk.)
* Project views are now shown on the explore page
* Bunches of little speedups in the backend

Even with these optimizations, the site is carrying a lot of traffic these days - especially during the week when schools are actively using it. So we're going to keep focusing on speed and glitches over the next few weeks.

Scratch On!

!!!!
Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

scratchisthebest wrote:

aww, search is still laggy

i wouldn't mind a ~3hr forum downtime to make a search index or something.

That might be worth it. Meanwhile, have you tried using google search by site? (Forgot if you can specify a sub-folder - in this case /discuss - but if so, it should be helpful.)
Hoot_Loop
Scratcher
43 posts

Cool
scrachster
Scratcher
1 post

I see that you are speeding up scratch. Thats great! I've noticed though on paint editor I would like just a few more pixels. Also, I kind of think it's strange to have a rectangular board to work with. You should make an option to make it square. Back to the topic. I think there should be an option to make it faster or slower depending on the project. Sometimes it's to fast or not fast enough. This would replace turbo mode.
FireBird2003
Scratcher
100+ posts

KittyDance wrote:

quote=Lightnin]Don't know if you've noticed, but we're growing! Yesterday we had more traffic to the site than ever before. As a result, we've had to shift our energy to speeding things up so our servers can handle the growing load.

* More stuff is cached! (That's a fancy way of saying: we're keeping stuff in our server's memory instead of reading it from the disk.)

Even with these optimizations, the site is carrying a lot of traffic these days - especially during the week when schools are actively using it. So we're going to keep focusing on speed and glitches over the next few weeks.

Scratch On!

GOOD!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me guess,you don't know how to make a signature?

According to a WEBSITE, I have an I.Q. of 113!
gdpr29d59c4578b8c11b8198b49f
Scratcher
49 posts

Whenever you say scratch on i feel like pulling out a guitar and playing some rock songs XD

Lightnin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

CodeCube wrote:

Whenever you say scratch on i feel like pulling out a guitar and playing some rock songs XD

Do it!!! Put the songs in a project, and then share a link.
RawrXD
Scratcher
15 posts

Cant wait for the new update!!!
nuggetizer
Scratcher
3 posts

SO MANY UPDATES! :D:)
SaysonRMX
Scratcher
16 posts

CodeCube wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Do it!!! Put the songs in a project, and then share a link.

SaysonRMX wrote:

how come this “Welcome to Scratch 2.0! Want to help new Scratchers get oriented? Join the Scratch Welcoming Committee! ” pops-up on your posts? but still It is nice to welcome new scratchers to scratch and I think adding updates AND making the site faster is !!!

LET'S SCRATCH ON!!!!

Last edited by SaysonRMX (Oct. 9, 2013 15:56:36)

piggeh
Scratcher
9 posts

zorket wrote:

Exhelah wrote:

I wonder what would happen if 2000 people all looked at the same project all at once, and that project added all of their usernames to a cloud list. That would probably crash the servers, am I right?
Nope, scratch is too epic for crashing!
Yoss. Scratch is much too epic.

PIGGEHS SHALL DOMINATE
peterglaab.com
dinkykong7
Scratcher
13 posts

YAY UPDATES! also, i find that sometimes my mail glitches. one time i got 6420 when i really had 3 xD
oOLunasaurusOo
Scratcher
1 post

I hope you don't mind if I point out a complaint about the update here:

I can't say that I've noticed that the speed of the program has gotten faster (most likely because my computer is quite new, heh), but what I have noticed that I can no longer draw on the backgrounds, frames, anything.
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro, and I can't seem to be able to draw on the program with the touchscreen. It used to be just fine, but after I updated it, it just stopped working.
Perhaps you might be able to fix this in future updates?
That's all I know for now.

Thank you for taking your time to read this~ c;
rilakkumagirl717
Scratcher
16 posts

Can't wait until the little-better Scratch! Never mind this was like a week ago was looking at the wrong one…

Last edited by rilakkumagirl717 (Oct. 10, 2013 04:12:02)

( ´_ゝ`) Rilakkuma ate my signature (he likes eating stuff, you know)
rilakkumagirl717
Scratcher
16 posts

Can't wait until the little-better Scratch! Never mind this was like a week ago was looking at the wrong one…

( ´_ゝ`) Rilakkuma ate my signature (he likes eating stuff, you know)
alligatorteacher
New to Scratch
3 posts

Any news on Educator Accounts?? Our after school coding classes are starting and the students don't have email addresses to create their accounts.

Help!
ishbish
Scratcher
1 post

I have noticed things being a little speedier…
thebrave124
New to Scratch
1 post

Lightnin wrote:

Don't know if you've noticed, but we're growing! Yesterday we had more traffic to the site than ever before. As a result, we've had to shift our energy to speeding things up so our servers can handle the growing load.

Scratch On!

Nice!