Discuss Scratch

Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

This is a sub-thread for ScratchPress in which Reporters post articles, editors edit them. I will approve of them in my accounts or And Stuff. Then, Editors come in and edit the articles to fix grammar and spelling errors. Here's a good example:

Firedrake969 wrote:

Centrifugal wrote:

The Great Ban
Around 6 pm EST on September 5th, a glitch occurred in the Scratch database. Users were suddenly logged out of their accounts, and with notices that they had been banned from the website. These bans were temporary, but many users wrote appeals to the ST. Others found out that they weren't really banned, and it was a database error. By 10 pm ET, the glitch seemed to be fixed, but this might serve as a reminder of what data corruption can cause.
Edits in red, removals in strikethrough. It wasn't bad coding, it was data corruption.
This is also the place for Reporters, Editors and other staff of ScratchPress to talk about what they think should be in the next issue, and other plans.

Last edited by Tierage (Oct. 17, 2013 01:45:39)

Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Okay here is my proposal for an article
Lack of updates
Recently after the launch of Scratch 2.0 the ST began sending out update reports every Thursday. This continued on until Thursday, August 1st when there were no update reports released. On the 25th of July the ST had reported ST members to be away for a conference in Barcelona but had still managed to release updates. On the Thursday following August 1st, August 8th, a new set of updates were released. However, the following Thursday from that, August 15th, there were no updates released. Following this information it may be possible the ST plans to move to a ever other week schedule concerning updates.

Last edited by Centrifugal (Aug. 16, 2013 19:59:22)

Settlers of Inland - Age of Ƭɍeasoƞ

Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Centrifugal wrote:

Lack of updates
Recently after the launch of Scratch 2.0 the ST began sending out update reports every Thursday. This continued on until Thursday, August 1st when there were no update reports released. On the 25th of July the ST had reported ST members to be away for a conference in Barcelona but had still managed to release updates. On the Thursday following August 1st, August 8th, a new set of updates were released. However, the following Thursday from that, August 15th, there were no updates released. Following this information it may be possible the ST plans to move to a ever other week schedule concerning updates.
This will be added in Issue #006!

Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Centrifugal wrote:

Lack of updates
Recently after the launch of Scratch 2.0 the ST began sending out update reports every Thursday. This continued on until Thursday, August 1st, when there were no update reports released. On July 25th the ST had reported ST members to be away for a conference in Barcelona but had still managed to release updates. On the Thursday following August 1st, August 8th, a new set of updates was released. However, the next Thursday, August 15th, there were no updates released. Following this information it may be possible the ST plans to move to a ever other week schedule concerning updates.
Time to edit….. marks in red. Might expand this later.

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Firedrake969 wrote:

Centrifugal wrote:

Lack of updates
Recently after the launch of Scratch 2.0 the ST began sending out update reports every Thursday. This continued on until Thursday, August 1st, when there were no update reports released. On July 25th the ST had reported ST members to be away for a conference in Barcelona but had still managed to release updates. On the Thursday following August 1st, August 8th, a new set of updates was released. However, the next Thursday, August 15th, there were no updates released. Following this information it may be possible the ST plans to move to a ever other week schedule concerning updates.
Time to edit….. marks in red. Might expand this later.
Good.

Math_Addict
Scratcher
100+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Sir, so far in my Q and A portion, I got three complete replies. Can I give the results next week?

Wanting to close this account, but then I'm still having a couple more things to do before I leave this account.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Math_Addict wrote:

Sir, so far in my Q and A portion, I got three complete replies. Can I give the results next week?
Whenever you'd like.

Math_Addict
Scratcher
100+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Sir, I'd like to have that cool banner. Please tell me how.

Wanting to close this account, but then I'm still having a couple more things to do before I leave this account.
Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Math_Addict wrote:

Sir, I'd like to have that cool banner. Please tell me how.
image url http://oi44.tinypic.com/24gndoh.jpg

Math_Addict
Scratcher
100+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Notes:
I still don't have any title for this. I need suggestions.

Article Title
Scratch started in 2003 which was made for kids to learn programming easily. Eventually, people of all ages started using it. In 2013, millions of people are now using Scratch. Let us now check:
  1. how people knew Scratch,
  2. why people joined Scratch, and,
  3. what people like about Scratch.

maddogmax wrote:

1. I knew Scratch through school.
  2. I love programming and I want people to see my work.
  3. I like the Discuss section. It has a section called “Making Scratch Projects” which has topics that can help you with your projects from artistic material like drawings and music, to coding, and lastly, to advertising.

jojoN wrote:

1. I knew Scratch through my summer care program at the Wareham Middle School.
  2. I love making games.
  3. I like commenting and exploring projects. I also like the “Remix” function. This makes other user give their own ideas to a specific project in Scratch.

Locke_Nyran wrote:

1. I purchased my son a Raspberry Pi and the Raspbian OS version came pre-loaded with Scratch 1.4. The http://www.raspberrypi.org site had lots of stories about kids programming with Scratch. I looked on the web for tutorials and found the Scratch 2.0 website.
  2. It looked like a good way to learn basic programming concepts. It was also an activity that I could share with my kids. I also think the community aspect of the site is a great way to share knowledge, encourage growth, and give my kids a chance to interact with like minded individuals.
  3. The idea of linking various pieces of code as colored blocks is genius. The scripts are so much more comprehensible to visual learners (like me and my kids) who would otherwise be intimidated by large blocks of plain text. The discussion board and tutorials are exactly what is needed to get started. We can play video games, learn how they work, and then create new ones to share. What kid (or kid at heart) wouldn't like that?

Tierage wrote:

1. My dad told me about Scratch because I wanted to be a game maker.
  2. Fun.
  3. The possibilities and it's team.
Of course, the answers vary between individuals.
Scratch, at first, may seem “for kids only”, focusing on kids who love to know about programming, but, it also looks like a great way to make awesome games, simulations, animations, and operating systems. Now, let me ask you, why did you join Scratch?

Last edited by Math_Addict (Aug. 23, 2013 05:58:32)

Math_Addict
Scratcher
100+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Bump

Math_Addict
Scratcher
100+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Bump

Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Math_Addict wrote:

Notes:
Although this still lacks 1 more person to answer the question, I'll just give the sample of my article.

Also, I still don't have any title for this. I need suggestions.

Article Title
Scratch started in 2003 which was made for kids to learn programming easily. Eventually, people of all ages started using it. In 2013, millions of people are now using Scratch. Let us now check:
  1. how people knew Scratch,
  2. why people joined Scratch, and,
  3. what people like about Scratch.

maddogmax wrote:

1. I knew Scratch through school.
  2. I love programming and I want people to see my work.
  3. I like the Discuss section. It has a section called “Making Scratch Projects” which has topics that can help you with your projects from artistic material like drawings and music, to coding, and lastly, to advertising.

jojoN wrote:

1. I knew Scratch through my summer care program at the Wareham Middle School.
  2. I love making games.
  3. I like commenting and exploring projects. I also like the “Remix” function. This makes other user give their own ideas to a specific project in Scratch.

Locke_Nyran wrote:

1. I purchased my son a Raspberry Pi and the Raspbian OS version came pre-loaded with Scratch 1.4. The http://www.raspberrypi.org site had lots of stories about kids programming with Scratch. I looked on the web for tutorials and found the Scratch 2.0 website.
  2. It looked like a good way to learn basic programming concepts. It was also an activity that I could share with my kids. I also think the community aspect of the site is a great way to share knowledge, encourage growth, and give my kids a chance to interact with like minded individuals.
  3. The idea of linking various pieces of code as colored blocks is genius. The scripts are so much more comprehensible to visual learners (like me and my kids) who would otherwise be intimidated by large blocks of plain text. The discussion board and tutorials are exactly what is needed to get started. We can play video games, learn how they work, and then create new ones to share. What kid (or kid at heart) wouldn't like that?

4thScratcher wrote:

1. Answer #1
  2. Answer #2
  3. Answer #3
Of course, the answers vary between individuals.
Scratch, at first, may seem “for kids only”, focusing on kids who love to know about programming, but, it also looks like a great way to make awesome games, simulations, animations, and operating systems. Now, let me ask you, why did you join Scratch?
I could answer the questions.
1. My dad told me about Scratch because I wanted to be a game maker.
2. Fun.
3. The possibilities and it's team.

Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Another proposal piece (I know it's a bit short but… it's interesting)
Moderation Forums
Have you ever wondered what happens on the moderator only forums. These forums are only accessible to a very small group of Scratchers and as a result are not talked about much. I began wondering what went on inside these hidden forums, so I decided to ask cheddargirl. According to cheddargirl the layout of the forum is exactly the same of the regular forums. With a relatively small topic list it is supposed to serve only as a place for the Scratch team to make private announcement concerning moderators and for moderators to discuss moderating issues. As you can imagine moderators are not likely to have moderating issues; moderator is in their name. So that's what the moderator only forums are used for. Are you glad you wasted 20 seconds of your time to read this?

Last edited by Centrifugal (Aug. 18, 2013 02:37:41)

Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Centrifugal wrote:

Another proposal piece (I know it's a bit short but… it's interesting)
Moderation Forums
Have you ever wondered what happens on the moderator only forums. These forums are only accessible to a very small group of Scratchers and as a result are not talked about much. I began wondering what went on inside these hidden forums, so I decided to ask cheddargirl. According to cheddargirl the layout of the forum is exactly the same of the regular forums. With a relatively small topic list it is supposed to serve only as a place for the Scratch team to make private announcement concerning moderators and for moderators to discuss moderating issues. As you can imagine moderators are not likely to have moderating issues; moderator is in their name. So that's what the moderator only forums are used for. Are you glad you wasted 20 seconds of your time to read this?
Since I don't have much in Issue 006 yet, I'm gonna add this.

Centrifugal
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Article proposal
Collaborations: Failure to start
It isn't a new thing to see collaborations break up due to lack of time or interest. However, more and more collaborations are now failing to gather sufficient members to start up. Many collabs simply disappear down the list so that no one can see them. Is this because people are joining less or people are starting more collaborations. One thing we know is that the number of collaborations proposing games has skyrocketed. A game can take a lot of effort and people to make. Due to the number of games one might even conclude that there are simply not enough Scratcher's to do them all, or at least not enough looking to participate. You might notice that three of the largest collabs Scratchin' weekly, TCX, and Imagine Inc. are not games. Of course, these collabs are also run by relatively well- known scratcher's. So is there success a function of the collab, or their overall popularity?

chocolatepenguin
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

You should only have one topic.

Tierage
Scratcher
500+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

chocolatepenguin wrote:

I have two topics to keep the article creating apart so it's easier to look for the right thing.

Paddle2See
Scratch Team
1000+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Tierage wrote:

chocolatepenguin wrote:

I have two topics to keep the article creating apart so it's easier to look for the right thing.
That makes sense to me - a small number of auxiliary topics for a collaboration shouldn't create too much confusion or clutter in the forum.

Scratch Team Member, kayak and pickleball enthusiast, cat caregiver.

This is my forum signature! On a forum post, it is okay for Scratchers to advertise in their forum signature. The signature is the stuff that shows up below the horizontal line on the post. It will show up on every post I make.
(credit to Za-Chary)

;
Firedrake969
Scratcher
1000+ posts

ScratchPress Team Thread

Centrifugal wrote:

Article proposal
Collaborations: Failure to start
It isn't a new thing to see collaborations break up due to lack of time or interest. However, more and more source, please? collaborations are now failing to gather sufficient members to start up. Many collabs simply disappear down the list so that no one can see them. Is this because people are joining less or people are starting collaborations? One thing we know is that the number of collaborations proposing games has skyrocketed. A game can take a lot of effort and people to make. Due to the number of games one might even conclude that there are simply not enough Scratchers to do them all, or at least not enough looking to participate. You might notice that three of the largest collabs Scratchin' Weekly, TCX, and Imagine Inc. are not game producers. Of course, these collabs are also run by relatively well- known scratcher's. So is there success a function of the collab, or their overall popularity?
Don't think we should include fame, IMO. I'll edit this if I get time tomorrow. Or today.

Just had to.

Last edited by Firedrake969 (Aug. 20, 2013 15:24:45)

'17 rickoid

bf97b44a7fbd33db070f6ade2b7dc549